Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Sabertooth Motor Controller Experience — Parallax Forums

Sabertooth Motor Controller Experience

Hey all!
Does anyone here have experience with the Sabertooth line of motor controllers from https://www.dimensionengineering.com/ ? (2x5 is what I'm looking at, but experience with any of them would help)

If any of you have used them with SLA batteries, did you notice a difference in battery charge life due to the regenerative braking?

The chassis I'll be using is tank-drive, so I'm curious whether the regen system justifies the added expense over a cheaper, more simple H-bridge.

Thanks!

Comments

• Have used several Sabretooths ( 2 x 25A), IIR. Great units to work with. They were non-regens but could do dynamic braking, I think.

For what its worth, I don't think the tank tread will coast sufficiently to do much for battery charging.

Cheers
  • What sort of motors are you planning to use?

Do you want current feedback? Do you plan to use encoders?

I haven't used a Sabertooth motor controller but I've used other Dimension Engineering products. I think they make good stuff but it's often at a higher price than many of the other options.

You're probably already aware of the options from Parallax but here are a couple of links anyway. I've used both these h-bridges myself. The MC33926 dual h-bridge can supply two motors with 3A continuous with 5A burst. The MC33926 provides current feedback. The DHB-10 can control two 10A motors with encoder feedback.

If you're looking for more options you should check out Pololu. They have lots of motor control options.
  • xanaduxanadu Posts: 3,347
    edited 2017-04-11 00:02
    I've used a few different regenerative controllers with both wheeled and tracked vehicles, I don't think it's enough to notice. With normal use anyway.

Edit: About 1/3 of the way down is a good explanation and sample formula. Small robots don't have much inertia, especially if you're using gear motors. You won't see much of a return.

https://www.roboteq.com/index.php/applications/100-how-to/160-understanding-regeneration
  • I forgot the MC33926 had current feedback.... that is one of the features I want on this 'bot.

https://www.amazon.com/33GB-520-Motor-Control-170RPM-350RPM-Torque/dp/B01J1TE8L2 are the motors coming with the tank chassis.

I doubt I'll be able to mount encoders on the chassis, but I may be wrong.

I've used the MC33926 before, pretty solid driver.
  • MacGeek117MacGeek117 Posts: 747
    edited 2017-04-11 00:05
    Well, darn..... No justification for the shiny toys.... :)

I'll most likely end up going with the MC33926, thank you for reminding me of that, Duane.

Building this project with a friend, so most likely won't be posting anything specific about it until May or June.

Thank you all for your comments!
  • jdoleckijdolecki Posts: 726
    edited 2017-04-16 20:46
    I like them
    I use them in my tank track projects
    Wheel chair motors with snowblower tracks
    The new ones have some new features.
    Like a separate circuit for the motor brakes and the ability to switch from RC mode to serial mode

This was the last one I built