Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Free Old IC's — Parallax Forums

Free Old IC's

wmosscropwmosscrop Posts: 406
edited 2017-03-12 15:30 in General Discussion
Edit:
These are no longer available.

And I mean old. Some of these chips have date codes in the 60's and 70's. Some with grey plastic cases, some with ceramic cases.

There's about 100 IC's, mostly 74xx and 82xx variants. Some I couldn't find on Google.

I have not tested any of these chips, and they may or may not work. I don't have the time to test them.

I don't have any use for them, so I'll ship them (for free, US only) to anyone who can use them. This offer is for all of the chips at once, I'm not splitting them up.

Might be good for an electronics club to practice with...

PM me if you're interested. First come, first served.

Edit:

I forgot to mention the 300 or so 620 ohm carbon film 1/4 watt resistors. One unopened bag of 200 + another partial bag. Included with the chips.

Thanks!

Walter

Comments

• Message sent.
  • Walt, could you share a photo?

• PM sent.
  • And I'm the winner. A photo shall be displayed of everything RSN.

However why are erco's robots exploring an old movie set that's based out west?
  • I should probably do this. I have a few parts drawers stuffed with 70's and 80's era IC's and old school IC sockets I will probably never use for anything.
  • localroger wrote: »
    I should probably do this. I have a few parts drawers stuffed with 70's and 80's era IC's and old school IC sockets I will probably never use for anything.

Me, me, me.
    I should probably do this. I have a few parts drawers stuffed with 70's and 80's era IC's and old school IC sockets I will probably never use for anything.

If you do I am interested.
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,244
    And to think, silly old me has been considering paying good money ($5-10) for an old IC. In particular, a vintage 555 timer in a T05 metal can package. Where it all started!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NE555T-SIGNETICS-NE555-TIMER-IC-Metal-TIN-Leads-Vintage-RARE-LAST-ONES-/391611327170

s-l1600.jpg

Yes but I am more interested. Because I actually use parts that old and can identify them. Sometimes even without even looking the numbers up.

• TorTor Posts: 2,010
    Old single-wiped ic sockets are useless though. Don't use them for anything involving electrons.
  • MikeDYur wrote: »
    localroger wrote: »

Me, me, me.

I was just kidding, I don't have a use for the old chip's. Though it would be nice to have a couple of examples each in 7400 series. I have a lot of old schematic's (projects) I always wanted to try out on a breadboard.
    edited 2017-03-13 14:17
    I have lots of 74xx (and some 74LSxx which are almost equally useless). And some 74Fxx. Also useless. What I need is more of (at least) the HC and HCT series, and much more AC. The 74xx/74Fxx I should probably just dump. Even when I'm fixing old boards I can just replace the old stuff with HCT (or LS, which is the only use I have for the old LS chips in storage).
  • Tor wrote: »
    I have lots of 74xx (and some 74LSxx which are almost equally useless). And some 74Fxx. Also useless. What I need is more of (at least) the HC and HCT series, and much more AC. The 74xx/74Fxx I should probably just dump. Even when I'm fixing old boards I can just replace the old stuff with HCT (or LS, which is the only use I have for the old LS chips in storage).

Well AC, HC, and HCT are relitively new comers. Even LS is fairly new in terms of the time the series has been around.
  • Buck RogersBuck Rogers Posts: 2,160
    edited 2017-03-13 21:40
    Tor wrote: »

None of that is useless to me. How much is shipping to a US address from where you are? I can supply my address via a PM. As it happens I build all of my gadgetry using those families. Please examine my examples of having a Basic Stamp2 board (A BOE) talk to a contraption running on a Netduino, itself wearing a Parallax BOE Shield and a prototype one. The circuitry running on that Netduino? TTL based, and that means Series 74 logic.

This is strange, all of erco's robots are travelling to the Northeastern US with snowshovels out.
    It would be very expensive to ship from here. Even letters are ridiculously expensive to mail.
    What I don't understand though is why you would use 74xx.. what would change if you used 74LSxx, except for reducing power consumption dramatically? F is faster, but there are low-power replacements for those too.
  • Tor wrote: »
    It would be very expensive to ship from here. Even letters are ridiculously expensive to mail.
    What I don't understand though is why you would use 74xx.. what would change if you used 74LSxx, except for reducing power consumption dramatically? F is faster, but there are low-power replacements for those too.

Because that logic family is what I learned my trade with.

And in US dollars if you can, how much is
    Tor wrote: »
    very expensive
    ?
    Just over $30 seems to be the cheapest option.
    For that you can buy a couple of 74xx grab bags from e.g. Jameco and be much better off.
  • wmosscrop wrote: »
    Edit:
    These are no longer available.

And I mean old. Some of these chips have date codes in the 60's and 70's. Some with grey plastic cases, some with ceramic cases.

There's about 100 IC's, mostly 74xx and 82xx variants. Some I couldn't find on Google.

I have not tested any of these chips, and they may or may not work. I don't have the time to test them.

I don't have any use for them, so I'll ship them (for free, US only) to anyone who can use them. This offer is for all of the chips at once, I'm not splitting them up.

Might be good for an electronics club to practice with...

PM me if you're interested. First come, first served.

Edit:

I forgot to mention the 300 or so 620 ohm carbon film 1/4 watt resistors. One unopened bag of 200 + another partial bag. Included with the chips.

Thanks!

Walter

News! The package has arrived in Flushing (which is where most items that travel that way are sorted) about 20 minutes ago.

• News! The package has arrived in Flushing (which is where most items that travel that way are sorted) about 20 minutes ago.

I mailed it Monday. No tracking until very late last night. OK, the serious blizzard affected delivery in the Northeast.

But I'm in Tulsa. No snow, blizzards, rain, sleet, hailstorms, tornados, or earthquakes. Or Quakenados.

I paid for 2 day service (Wednesday delivery). Yes, I knew at the time that the blizzard was going to disrupt the delivery. That's not the issue.

The issue is four days of absolutely no tracking. Zilch.

My apologies to anyone on this forum that works for the USPS, but this is ridiculous. And, I'm sorry to say, typical. And getting worse.

The tracking on packages from China--sent the slow, cheap way with just a tracking number--works better than this. Why?

Walter

• Walt,

Had the same scenario with an order place at Parallax on the 14th. Did not receive verification until today, (will be delayed). Shipment was supposed to be yesterday.

Of course, this is no fault of Parallax.
  • Buck. can we get some pictures when they are unloaded?

• Publison wrote: »
    Buck. can we get some pictures when they are unloaded?
    Of course. However the analog parts are camera shy. I'll have something up soon.

Now why are all of erco's robots massing where you are and with snow shovels?