Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
HTML/CSS/JPG/etc on 2GB SD for ESP8266 to Access Using AB-WX — Parallax Forums

HTML/CSS/JPG/etc on 2GB SD for ESP8266 to Access Using AB-WX

Hello,

I love how we can throw HTML and CSS on the ESP8266. However it is limited (I haven't filled it up yet, but who knows in the future) by the 1MB storage space. For example videos/pictures would have to be hosted elsewhere.

Is there a way using the ActivityBoard WX to put a website on the 2GB SD Card and then be able to send the website to the world via my ESP8266?

Thanks,

Keith

Comments

• Hello,

I love how we can throw HTML and CSS on the ESP8266. However it is limited (I haven't filled it up yet, but who knows in the future) by the 1MB storage space. For example videos/pictures would have to be hosted elsewhere.

Is there a way using the ActivityBoard WX to put a website on the 2GB SD Card and then be able to send the website to the world via my ESP8266?

Thanks,

Keith
    The Propeller can handle HTTP requests itself instead of allowing the WX to do it. You can then store as much data as you want on an SD card. I think Andy has examples of how to handle HTTP requests in his tutorials.

• edited 2017-02-11 20:02
    I like the idea of hosted elsewhere. The Propeller + Wi-Fi module (microcontrollers) make a good combination for adding sensor and small robot projects to a network. It seems more appropriate to give the job of a media server to a computer on the network. JavaScript in the page should be able to steam straight from the media server without taking up microcontroller resources. We don't have any examples yet, but can add it to the wish list.

We have an open source repo with folders for application contributions here:

https://github.com/parallaxinc/Parallax-Wi-Fi-Apps/tree/master/Community

...and highly encourage contributions. See A Call to Participate! on this page:

https://www.parallax.com/news/2017-01-26/new-wi-fi-modules-add-your-boe-bot-shield-bot-activitybot-arlo-or-other-inventions