Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Compiling Spin — Parallax Forums

Compiling Spin

I've been distracted by other things lately and only just got around to reading the "Why oh why in this day and age" thread, which wandered off-topic into the subject of Spin compilers. It appears there's some confusion about spin2cpp and its role in compiling Spin, so I wanted to point out a few things:

(1) spin2cpp started off as a converter from Spin to C++, but now it's a full compiler. It parses Spin code into an intermediate tree, and then from that tree can produce C, C++, PASM (P1 or P2), or binary output. The name is misleading now. Actually there is a different frontend for spin2cpp (called "fastspin") that mimics the interface of openspin, so perhaps we should start using that name for the compiler suite.

(2) The spin2cpp parser is written in YACC, so it is in some sense a formal definition of Spin grammar (at least, the Spin grammar accepted by spin2cpp; but so far I haven't found any programs that openspin takes but spin2cpp doesn't). There are actually two phases to parsing: lexical analysis (converting strings into tokens) and then the grammar (figuring out how the tokens go together to make a program). The grammar is in YACC; the lexical analysis is hand-written in C just to make some things easier (e.g. for indenting we emit INDENT and OUTDENT tokens).

(3) fastspin/spin2cpp does do optimization, both on the intermediate tree (so language independent optimizations) and on the PASM output. Examples of some of the optimizations it can perform are: dead code elimination, function inlining (any sufficiently small function is inlined, as are all functions that are called only once), common sub-expression elimination, and loop strength reduction.

(4) fastspin/spin2cpp can produce both LMM and plain COG programs. There are options to place data in either COG or HUB memory, and similarly for code to go in COG or HUB memory. On the P1, code in HUB is interpreted via the usual LMM mechanism, and also FCACHE. FCACHE means that small loops are compiled as plain COG code and loaded at run time into COG memory, so the whole loop runs at full speed (rather than doing the LMM read/execute one instruction at a time over and over).

(5) fastspin supports inline assembly. In fact many of the Spin primitives like COGNEW are implemented internally as plain Spin functions that use inline assemlby; these are then inlined automatically by the optimizer.

(6) The P2 output routines are a bit out of date, they need to be brought up to the most recent P2 definition.

(7) Performance of the PASM binaries produced by fastspin/spin2cpp is generally decent. PropGCC can usually do better (it has a more sophisticated optimizer) but I think fastspin can beat all of the other languages/compilers out there (other than pure PASM of course) and on some specific tasks like pin manipulation it can even beat PropGCC. As a representative example, here are the results from Heater's fft benchmark with recent builds of fastspin and PropGCC:
gcc LMM -O2:              65247 us
gcc LMM -Os:             138096 us
fastspin 3.2.0 -O:       170822 us
fastspin 3.2.0:          171422 us
Catalina LMM:           ~348000 us
gcc CMM -O2:             520296 us
gcc CMM -Os:             567318 us
PropBasic LMM(*):        690842 us
JDForth:               ~1200000 us
OpenSpin:               1465321 us

(*): PropBasic produced incorrect results, so should be taken with a grain of salt
Catalina and JDForth results are from a slightly older benchmark version, as
posted on forums

Comments

• Here's an example of fastspin/spin2cpp output. The original Spin code is a simple SPI test program designed to stream data out on SPI as quickly as possible:
    CON
      _clkmode = xtal1 + pll16x
      _clkfreq = 80_000_000
     DO  = 0     'pins
     CLK = 1
     CS  = 2

VAR
     byte array[512]

pub Main | i

outa[CS]  := 1
     dira[CS]  := 1
     dira[DO]  := 1
     dira[CLK] := 1

repeat i from 0 to 511
       array[i] := i & 255

outa[CS] := 0
     repeat i from 0 to 511
       spiout(array[i])
     outa[CS] := 1

pub spiout(value)
     value ><= 8            'MSB first
     repeat 8               '8 bits
       outa[DO] := value
       outa[CLK] := 1
       value >>= 1
       outa[CLK] := 0

Here's the results from spin2cpp. The exact command line is:
    spin2cpp --asm --binary --code=cog --data=hub --cse spibase.spin

which produces spibase.pasm (the assembly listing) and spibase.binary (the compiled binary). Here's spibase.pasm:
    CON
    	_clkmode = 1032
    	_clkfreq = 80000000
    	DO = 0
    	CLK = 1
    	CS = 2
    PUB main
      coginit(0, @entry, 0)
    DAT
    	org	0
    entry
    	mov	arg1, par wz
    	call	#_Main
    cogexit
    	cogid	arg1
    	cogstop	arg1

_Main
    	or	OUTA, #4
    	or	DIRA, #4
    	or	DIRA, #1
    	or	DIRA, #2
    	mov	_Main__cse__0008, objptr
    	mov	_Main_i, #0
    L__0017
    	cmps	_Main_i, #511 wc,wz
     if_a	jmp	#L__0019
    	mov	_Main__cse__0007, _Main_i
    	and	_Main__cse__0007, #255
    	wrbyte	_Main__cse__0007, _Main__cse__0008
    	add	_Main_i, #1
    	add	_Main__cse__0008, #1
    	jmp	#L__0017
    L__0019
    	andn	OUTA, #4
    	mov	_Main__cse__0010, objptr
    	mov	_Main_i, #0
    L__0020
    	cmps	_Main_i, #511 wc,wz
     if_a	jmp	#L__0022
    	rdbyte	arg1, _Main__cse__0010
    	call	#_spiout
    	add	_Main_i, #1
    	add	_Main__cse__0010, #1
    	jmp	#L__0020
    L__0022
    	or	OUTA, #4
    _Main_ret
    	ret

_spiout
    	mov	_var_02, #1
    	rev	arg1, #24
    	mov	_var_03, #8
    L__0023
    	shr	arg1, #1 wc
    	muxc	OUTA, _var_02
    	or	OUTA, #2
    	andn	OUTA, #2
    	djnz	_var_03, #L__0023
    _spiout_ret
    	ret

objptr
    	long	@@@objmem
    result1
    	long	0
    COG_BSS_START
    	fit	496
    hubexit
    	jmp	#cogexit
    objmem
    	long	0[128]
    	org	COG_BSS_START
    _Main__cse__0007
    	res	1
    _Main__cse__0008
    	res	1
    _Main__cse__0010
    	res	1
    _Main_i
    	res	1
    _var_02
    	res	1
    _var_03
    	res	1
    arg1
    	res	1
    arg2
    	res	1
    arg3
    	res	1
    arg4
    	res	1
    	fit	496

The inner loop in the spiout function is pretty good, I think. I do see that the optimizer missed the chance to replace _var_02 with the constant 1, but otherwise I think it's what most PASM programmers would write by hand. It's also slightly better than the code GCC produces for a similar function; in this case fastspin/spin2cpp's knowledge of the Prop architecture was able to beat GCC's better generic optimizers.
  • Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    Awesome piece of work Eric.

Excuse me whist I transcribe it into Javascript....
  • That sounds great, Eric! Do you have a description of the intermediate form?
  • Wow, Eric, this is very cool! I'm sure it required a lot of work to shoehorn Spin's syntax into YACC. Did you encounter any exceptions (other than indenting) that required special handling?

Since Chip asked recently about formal grammars, would it be possible to convert Spin's into readable form (e.g. BNF)?

-Phil
  • ElectrodudeElectrodude Posts: 1,614
    edited 2017-01-26 23:37
    Do you have any plans to make fastspin able to output PNUT bytecode? It would be interesting to see how much faster an optimizing Spin to PNUT compiler would be than Prop Tool, OpenSpin, or BST, and it would result in more compact code than LMM.

Even better, how hard would it be to make fastspin able to output code in multiple output formats in the same binary? You could have all initialization code (since you have to boot into PNUT anyway) and cogs that don't need to be fast running PNUT to save RAM, and cogs that need to be fast running native PASM compiled from Spin. To specify what target should be used, I would suggest a special builtin function that takes a function and an output format and returns a pointer that can be passed to COGNEW. Obviously, if a single function needs to be compiled to multiple output formats, the compiler should be smart enough to do that.

It would be really neat if you made it so it could do things like compile arithmetic-only functions to floating point command stream scripts, similar to what JasonDorie did for the ELEV-8 firmware in C. This is why I think the special builtin above would be better than a special COGNEW: you might not want to pass the pointer to COGNEW - you might want to pass it to your floating point cog instead.

EDIT: reworded stuff
  • Thread Bookmarked.

This should be a fantastic PASM learning tool for me in Linux.

Haven't got past FTDI drivers yet, "sudo shy".
    I'll get over it as soon as I learn to make scripts, something like batch files that I have done before. Still learning the Linux landscape.

Quite happy with PropellerIDE and BST. Over thought that one, not knowing BST was part of the basic install.
  • MikeDYur wrote: »
    Thread Bookmarked.

This should be a fantastic PASM learning tool for me in Linux.

Haven't got past FTDI drivers yet, "sudo shy".
    I'll get over it as soon as I learn to make scripts, something like batch files that I have done before. Still learning the Linux landscape.

Quite happy with PropellerIDE and BST. Over thought that one, not knowing BST was part of the basic install.

Just curious since I have been using Linux for many years now, but what do you mean "haven't got past FTDI drivers yet"? I know I never have to worry about the drivers as Linux Mint works out of the box with this sort of thing.

• Do you have any plans to make fastspin able to output PNUT bytecode? It would be interesting to see how much faster an optimizing Spin to PNUT compiler would be than Prop Tool, OpenSpin, or BST, and it would result in more compact code than LMM.

Even better, how hard would it be to make fastspin able to output code in multiple output formats in the same binary? You could have all initialization code (since you have to boot into PNUT anyway) and cogs that don't need to be fast running PNUT to save RAM, and cogs that need to be fast running native PASM compiled from Spin. To specify what target should be used, I would suggest a special builtin function that takes a function and an output format and returns a pointer that can be passed to COGNEW. Obviously, if a single function needs to be compiled to multiple output formats, the compiler should be smart enough to do that.

It would be really neat if you made it so it could do things like compile arithmetic-only functions to floating point command stream scripts, similar to what JasonDorie did for the ELEV-8 firmware in C. This is why I think the special builtin above would be better than a special COGNEW: you might not want to pass the pointer to COGNEW - you might want to pass it to your floating point cog instead.

What is "PNUT bytecode"? Are you talking about the Spin bytecodes from P1?
  • MikeDYurMikeDYur Posts: 2,176
    edited 2017-01-27 01:21
    Just curious since I have been using Linux for many years now, but what do you mean "haven't got past FTDI drivers yet"? I know I never have to worry about the drivers as Linux Mint works out of the box with this sort of thing.

Peter, I'm going by what I read on the FTDI site, I don't have my Linux machine up at the moment, but Parallax diverted me to the FTDI site for installation instructions. I couldn't find a .deb package to do an express install. I am going wrong direction, right?

EDIT: When I can get USB running, I will have the best of all worlds.
  • Peter JakackiPeter Jakacki Posts: 10,193
    edited 2017-01-27 01:32
    MikeDYur wrote: »

Peter, I'm going by what I read on the FTDI site, I don't have my Linux machine up at the moment, but Parallax diverted me to the FTDI site for installation instructions. I couldn't find a .deb package to do an express install. I am going wrong direction, right?

EDIT: When I can get USB running, I will have the best of all worlds.

I think the Linux advice is well well out of date, many serial USB devices just work with Linux these days, and have done so for many years. This includes the popular FTDI drivers too of course.
    Ignore what you saw and just plug it in and it comes up as ttyUSB0 etc. I use minicom for a serial terminal.
    peter@peter-workstation ~ $ ls /dev/ttyU*
    /dev/ttyUSB0  /dev/ttyUSB1  /dev/ttyUSB2
    peter@peter-workstation ~ $ lsusb
    Bus 002 Device 002: ID 8087:0024 Intel Corp. Integrated Rate Matching Hub
    Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
    Bus 001 Device 005: ID 2109:2812 VIA Labs, Inc. VL812 Hub
    Bus 001 Device 004: ID 0a12:0001 Cambridge Silicon Radio, Ltd Bluetooth Dongle (HCI mode)
    Bus 001 Device 003: ID 058f:6366 Alcor Micro Corp. Multi Flash Reader
    Bus 001 Device 002: ID 8087:0024 Intel Corp. Integrated Rate Matching Hub
    Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
    Bus 004 Device 002: ID 0480:a00c Toshiba America Inc 
    Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
    Bus 003 Device 004: ID 045e:0745 Microsoft Corp. Nano Transceiver v1.0 for Bluetooth
    Bus 003 Device 020: ID 0403:6001 Future Technology Devices International, Ltd FT232 USB-Serial (UART) IC
    Bus 003 Device 012: ID 0403:6001 Future Technology Devices International, Ltd FT232 USB-Serial (UART) IC
    Bus 003 Device 006: ID 05e3:0608 Genesys Logic, Inc. Hub
    Bus 003 Device 021: ID 0403:6001 Future Technology Devices International, Ltd FT232 USB-Serial (UART) IC
    Bus 003 Device 002: ID 05e3:0608 Genesys Logic, Inc. Hub
    Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
    peter@peter-workstation ~ $ 

• Thanks Peter, I will look into this in the morning. When I installed PropellerIDE, USB wasn't recognized. Something I overlooked more than likely. I know how to bring up USB devices in terminal. Get back with you tomorrow.
  • DavidZemonDavidZemon Posts: 2,973
    edited 2017-01-27 04:04
    MikeDYur wrote: »
    Thanks Peter, I will look into this in the morning. When I installed PropellerIDE, USB wasn't recognized. Something I overlooked more than likely. I know how to bring up USB devices in terminal. Get back with you tomorrow.

This is distribution dependent, so it may not apply to your Linux installation. Debian and its derivatives (and possibly RedHat/Fedora derivates as well) require that you either run as root or add user to the "dialout" group. Instructions here: http://askubuntu.com/questions/112568/how-do-i-allow-a-non-default-user-to-use-serial-device-ttyusb0
    sudo adduser second_user dialout

You will need to log out and back in for the change to take affect.
    edited 2017-01-27 04:07
    David Betz wrote: »
    Do you have any plans to make fastspin able to output PNUT bytecode? It would be interesting to see how much faster an optimizing Spin to PNUT compiler would be than Prop Tool, OpenSpin, or BST, and it would result in more compact code than LMM.

What is "PNUT bytecode"? Are you talking about the Spin bytecodes from P1?
    Yes. My understanding is that the language is called Spin and the bytecode that it compiles to is called PNUT. Right at the top of my copy of interpreter.spin for the P1 that Chip Gracey released a few years ago, it has a big heading saying "PNUT Interpreter".
  • David Betz wrote: »
    That sounds great, Eric! Do you have a description of the intermediate form?

The intermediate form is an abstract syntax tree (AST) which is a binary tree. But unfortunately there's no documentation of the exact details of the nodes, beyond what's in ast.h. Something to put on my todo list :(.
  • Wow, Eric, this is very cool! I'm sure it required a lot of work to shoehorn Spin's syntax into YACC. Did you encounter any exceptions (other than indenting) that required special handling?
    Not particularly, although the lexical analyzer does also recognize reserved and strips out comments to make the parser's job easier.
    Since Chip asked recently about formal grammars, would it be possible to convert Spin's into readable form (e.g. BNF)?
    l

Below is a vaguely BNF like description that's generated by bison -v, edited a bit by hand to make the nonterminals more obvious. Note that this isn't exactly the same as the language OpenSpin accepts; there are some extensions like inline assembly and IF/THEN/ELSE expressions.
    Spin Grammar

0 $accept: input $end

1 input: rest
        2      | conblock rest

3 rest: topelement
        4     | topelement rest

5 emptyline: <END_OF_LINE>

6 emptylines:
        7           | emptylines emptyline

8 topelement: "CON" conblock
        9           | "DAT" datblock
       10           | "DAT" annotation datblock
       11           | "VAR" varblock
       12           | "OBJ" objblock
       13           | "PUB" funcdef funcbody
       14           | "PRI" funcdef funcbody
       15           | "PUB" annotation funcdef funcbody
       16           | "PRI" annotation funcdef funcbody
       17           | annotation emptylines

18 funcdef: identifier optparamlist <END_OF_LINE>
       19        | identifier optparamlist localvars <END_OF_LINE>
       20        | identifier optparamlist resultname localvars <END_OF_LINE>
       21        | identifier optparamlist resultname <END_OF_LINE>

22 optparamlist:
       23             | identlist
       24             | '(' identlist ')'

25 resultname: ':' identifier

26 localvars: '|' identlist

27 funcbody:
       28         | stmtlist

29 stmtlist: stmt
       30         | stmtlist stmt

31 stmt: basicstmt
       32     | compoundstmt
       33     | <END_OF_LINE>
       34     | error <END_OF_LINE>

35 basicstmt: "RETURN" <END_OF_LINE>
       36          | "RETURN" expr <END_OF_LINE>
       37          | "ABORT" <END_OF_LINE>
       38          | "ABORT" expr <END_OF_LINE>
       39          | expr <END_OF_LINE>
       40          | "QUIT" <END_OF_LINE>
       41          | "NEXT" <END_OF_LINE>

42 compoundstmt: ifstmt
       43             | repeatstmt
       44             | stmtblock
       45             | casestmt

46 stmtblock: <INDENT> stmtlist <OUTDENT>
       47          | <INDENT> <OUTDENT>

48 ifstmt: "IF" expr <END_OF_LINE> elseblock
       49       | "IFNOT" expr <END_OF_LINE> elseblock

50 elseblock: stmtblock
       51          | stmtblock "ELSE" <END_OF_LINE> stmtblock
       52          | stmtblock "ELSEIF" expr <END_OF_LINE> elseblock
       53          | stmtblock "ELSEIFNOT" expr <END_OF_LINE> elseblock

54 casestmt: "CASE" expr <END_OF_LINE> <INDENT> casematchlist <OUTDENT>

55 casematchlist: casematchitem
       56              | casematchlist casematchitem

57 casematchitem: casematch <END_OF_LINE> stmtblock

58 casematch: matchexprlist ':'

59 matchexprlist: matchexpritem
       60              | matchexprlist ',' matchexpritem

61 matchexpritem: "OTHER"
       62              | expr ".." expr
       63              | expr

64 rangeexpritem: expr
       65              | expr ".." expr

66 rangeexprlist: rangeexpritem
       67              | rangeexprlist ',' rangeexpritem

68 repeatstmt: "REPEAT" <END_OF_LINE> stmtblock
       69           | "REPEAT" <END_OF_LINE> stmtblock "WHILE" expr <END_OF_LINE>
       70           | "REPEAT" <END_OF_LINE> stmtblock "UNTIL" expr <END_OF_LINE>
       71           | "REPEAT" "WHILE" expr <END_OF_LINE> stmtblock
       72           | "REPEAT" "UNTIL" expr <END_OF_LINE> stmtblock
       73           | "REPEAT" identifier "FROM" expr "TO" expr "STEP" expr <END_OF_LINE> stmtblock
       74           | "REPEAT" identifier "FROM" expr "TO" expr <END_OF_LINE> stmtblock
       75           | "REPEAT" expr <END_OF_LINE> stmtblock
       76           | "ASM" datblock "ENDASM"
       77           | "CCODE"

78 lookupexpr: "LOOKUPZ" '(' expr ':' rangeexprlist ')'
       79           | "LOOKUP" '(' expr ':' rangeexprlist ')'

80 lookdownexpr: "LOOKDOWNZ" '(' expr ':' rangeexprlist ')'
       81             | "LOOKDOWN" '(' expr ':' rangeexprlist ')'

82 conblock: conline
       83         | conblock conline

84 conline: enumlist <END_OF_LINE>
       85        | <END_OF_LINE>
       86        | error <END_OF_LINE>

87 enumlist: enumitem
       88         | enumlist ',' enumitem

89 enumitem: identifier '=' expr
       90         | identifier
       91         | identifier '[' expr ']'
       92         | '#' expr

93 datblock: datline
       94         | datblock datline

95 datline: basedatline
       96        | identifier basedatline

97 basedatline: <END_OF_LINE>
       98            | error <END_OF_LINE>
       99            | "BYTE" <END_OF_LINE>
      100            | "BYTE" exprlist <END_OF_LINE>
      101            | "WORD" <END_OF_LINE>
      102            | "WORD" exprlist <END_OF_LINE>
      103            | "LONG" <END_OF_LINE>
      104            | "LONG" exprlist <END_OF_LINE>
      105            | instruction <END_OF_LINE>
      106            | instruction operandlist <END_OF_LINE>
      107            | instruction modifierlist <END_OF_LINE>
      108            | instruction operandlist modifierlist <END_OF_LINE>
      109            | "ORG" <END_OF_LINE>
      110            | "ORG" expr <END_OF_LINE>
      111            | "ORGH" <END_OF_LINE>
      112            | "ORGH" expr <END_OF_LINE>
      113            | "RES" expr <END_OF_LINE>
      114            | "FIT" expr <END_OF_LINE>
      115            | "FIT" <END_OF_LINE>
      116            | "FILE" string <END_OF_LINE>

117 objblock: objline
      118         | objblock objline

119 objline: <END_OF_LINE>
      120        | error <END_OF_LINE>
      121        | identdecl ':' string

122 varblock: varline
      123         | varblock varline

124 varline: "BYTE" identlist <END_OF_LINE>
      125        | "WORD" identlist <END_OF_LINE>
      126        | "LONG" identlist <END_OF_LINE>
      127        | <END_OF_LINE>
      128        | error <END_OF_LINE>

129 identlist: identdecl
      130          | annotation identdecl
      131          | identlist ',' identdecl

132 identdecl: identifier
      133          | identifier '[' expr ']'

134 expr: integer
      135     | float
      136     | string
      137     | "STRING" '(' exprlist ')'
      138     | lhs
      139     | '@' lhs
      140     | "@@" lhs
      141     | "@@@" lhs
      142     | lhs ":=" expr
      143     | identifier '#' identifier
      144     | expr '+' expr
      145     | expr '-' expr
      146     | expr '*' expr
      147     | expr '/' expr
      148     | expr '&' expr
      149     | expr '|' expr
      150     | expr '^' expr
      151     | expr '>' expr
      152     | expr '<' expr
      153     | expr "=>" expr
      154     | expr "=<" expr
      155     | expr "<>" expr
      156     | expr "==" expr
      157     | expr "//" expr
      158     | expr "**" expr
      159     | expr "#>" expr
      160     | expr "<#" expr
      161     | expr "><" expr
      162     | expr "<-" expr
      163     | expr "->" expr
      164     | expr "<<" expr
      165     | expr ">>" expr
      166     | expr "~>" expr
      167     | expr "OR" expr
      168     | expr "AND" expr
      169     | expr '+' '=' expr
      170     | expr '-' '=' expr
      171     | expr '/' '=' expr
      172     | expr '*' '=' expr
      173     | expr '&' '=' expr
      174     | expr '|' '=' expr
      175     | expr '^' '=' expr
      176     | expr "//" '=' expr
      177     | expr "**" '=' expr
      178     | expr "#>" '=' expr
      179     | expr "<#" '=' expr
      180     | expr "><" '=' expr
      181     | expr "<-" '=' expr
      182     | expr "->" '=' expr
      183     | expr "<<" '=' expr
      184     | expr ">>" '=' expr
      185     | expr "~>" '=' expr
      186     | expr "AND" '=' expr
      187     | expr "OR" '=' expr
      188     | expr '<' '=' expr
      189     | expr '>' '=' expr
      190     | expr "=<" '=' expr
      191     | expr "=>" '=' expr
      192     | '(' expr ')'
      193     | '\\' funccall
      194     | '\\' identifier
      195     | funccall
      196     | '-' expr
      197     | '!' expr
      198     | '~' expr
      199     | "~~" expr
      200     | "NOT" expr
      201     | "||" expr
      202     | "^^" expr
      203     | "|<" expr
      204     | ">|" expr
      205     | "$"
      206     | lhs "++"
      207     | lhs "--"
      208     | "++" lhs
      209     | "--" lhs
      210     | lhs '?'
      211     | '?' lhs
      212     | lhs '~'
      213     | lhs "~~"
      214     | <CONSTANT> '(' expr ')'
      215     | <FLOAT> '(' expr ')'
      216     | "ROUND" '(' expr ')'
      217     | "TRUNC" '(' expr ')'
      218     | lookupexpr
      219     | lookdownexpr
      220     | "IF" expr "THEN" expr "ELSE" expr

221 lhs: identifier
      222    | identifier '[' expr ']'
      223    | hwreg
      224    | hwreg '[' range ']'
      225    | memref '[' expr ']'
      226    | memref
      227    | "SPR" '[' expr ']'

228 memref: "BYTE" '[' expr ']'
      229       | "WORD" '[' expr ']'
      230       | "LONG" '[' expr ']'
      231       | identifier '.' "BYTE"
      232       | identifier '.' "WORD"
      233       | identifier '.' "LONG"

234 funccall: identifier '(' exprlist ')'
      235         | "COGINIT" '(' exprlist ')'
      236         | "COGNEW" '(' exprlist ')'
      237         | identifier '.' identifier '(' exprlist ')'
      238         | identifier '.' identifier
      239         | identifier '[' expr ']' '.' identifier '(' exprlist ')'
      240         | identifier '[' expr ']' '.' identifier

241 expritem: expr
      242         | integer '[' expr ']'
      243         | float '[' expr ']'
      244         | '-' integer '[' expr ']'
      245         | '-' float '[' expr ']'
      246         | string '[' expr ']'

247 exprlist: expritem
      248         | exprlist ',' expritem

249 operand: expr
      250        | '#' expr
      251        | '#' '#' expr

252 operandlist: operand
      253            | operandlist ',' operand

254 range: expr
      255      | expr ".." expr

256 integer: <NUMBER>

257 float: <FLOAT>

258 string: <STRING>

259 identifier: <IDENTIFIER>
      260           | "RESULT"

261 annotation: T_ANNOTATION

262 hwreg: <HARDWARE_REGISTER_NAME>

263 instruction: <INSTRUCTION_SYMBOL>
      264            | instrmodifier instruction

265 instrmodifier: <INSTRUCTION_MODIFIER_SYMBOL>

266 modifierlist: instrmodifier
      267             | modifierlist instrmodifier
      268             | modifierlist ',' instrmodifier

• DavidZemon wrote: »
    This is distribution dependent, so it may not apply to your Linux installation. Debian and its derivatives (and possibly RedHat/Fedora derivates as well) require that you either run as root or add user to the "dialout" group. Instructions here: http://askubuntu.com/questions/112568/how-do-i-allow-a-non-default-user-to-use-serial-device-ttyusb0
    sudo adduser second_user dialout

You will need to log out and back in for the change to take affect.

Thanks David, My distribution is Linux Mint (Sarah), and I should expand on what I said, I should say that: when I plugged in the Propeller, the USB device wasn't recognized. I know I installed an express card USB 3.0, and I want to be able to take advantage of that. I will look into this a little later.
  • Do you have any plans to make fastspin able to output PNUT bytecode? It would be interesting to see how much faster an optimizing Spin to PNUT compiler would be than Prop Tool, OpenSpin, or BST, and it would result in more compact code than LMM.
    Someday I'd like to have a bytecode backend for fastspin, although whether it will be PNUT or something else I'm not sure yet. But it's probably some way off. PNUT is an obvious choice, except for the lack of documentation, but I have thought that it would be nice to have something a bit more performant, for example a bytecode that can be easily compiled to PASM at run time. The interpreter could then cache the compiled code to give us some of the speed advantage of FCACHE with the size advantage of a bytecode.

Note that BST does have an optimizer already.

• It seems to me that it would be hard to optimize Spin bytecodes that run under the standard interpreter. The stack-based VM pretty much requires that operands have to be put on the stack in a certain order, and once they are used they are no longer on the stack. The Spin VM does allow for storing a result in memory and retaining it on the top of the stack, so there may me some optimization gotten from that. A modified interpreter that allows for FCACHE operation could speed up execution significantly.
  • Hi guy's, I took a couple screenshots various commands searching for USB devices, with and without the prop conected. In PropellerIDE, as it doesn't have a button for searching for conected devices. Loading a program onto a Propeller, it happens so fast it doesn’t give me time to see what is going on. And the program is not being loaded. I will go over the information you have proved above, and see if I can solve the problem.

Mike Y.
    edited 2017-01-27 15:47
    There are some optimizations I've thought of for PNUT, not really in any detail though, that are theoretically possible. Most of them involve abusing the stack in ways like leaving values on the stack across multiple statements (which AFAIK no Spin compiler ever does, although it's perfectly normal in Forth) or treating locals as just more stack variables (i.e. a controlled stack underflow), but I think most of these optimizations, if significant at all, would save more stack space than code space. Some of them would require allowing the compiler to reorder locals, which, considering how Spin programs tend to interface with PASM cogs, is not safe in general.

Let's say you have the following code:
    PUB fibo(i) : a | b, c
      b := 1
      repeat i
        c := a+b
        b := a
        a := c

The only reason variable "c" exists is to save the value that will get written to "a" so it doesn't get clobbered by "b := a". A store and a load can be shaved off by just leaving the result of "a+b" on the stack until after the "b := a", and then assigning it to "a". Furthermore, the "b := " of "b := a" can have its pop flag cleared, to save having to load "a" twice. BST's optimizer did not do this (in fact, it does very little).

This is sort of a bad example, since the above optimizations can be performed in plain Spin as shown below. However, if any control structures were in between "c := a+b" and "a := c", it would not be possible to leave the values of the partially evaluated expressions on the stack in plain Spin.
    PUB fibo(i) : a | b
      b := 1
      repeat i
        a := b + (b := a)

• kwinnkwinn Posts: 8,697
    I wonder if making the spin interpreter register based instead of or in addition to stack based would allow for greater optimization. Could certainly speed up some calculations.
  • ersmith wrote:
    Below is a vaguely BNF like description that's generated by bison ...
    Thanks for posting that! One question, though: in BNF the elements separated by ORs (|) are not considered to be sequential but have equal weight regardless of their order. So it's a bit of a chore to incorporate operator precedence relations, since every level has to start with a separate definition. I notice that in the Bison output, operators would appear to have no precedence rules. Am I to assume, then, that their order of presentation in the ORs matters?

Thanks,
    -Phil
  • MikeDYur wrote: »
    Hi guy's, I took a couple screenshots various commands searching for USB devices, with and without the prop conected. In PropellerIDE, as it doesn't have a button for searching for conected devices. Loading a program onto a Propeller, it happens so fast it doesn’t give me time to see what is going on. And the program is not being loaded. I will go over the information you have proved above, and see if I can solve the problem.

Mike Y.

Might be best to open a new thread for this :)
  • DavidZemon wrote: »
    Might be best to open a new thread for this :)

I will if I can't figure it out, certainly don't want to derail the OP. ;)
  • ersmith wrote:
    Below is a vaguely BNF like description that's generated by bison ...
    Thanks for posting that! One question, though: in BNF the elements separated by ORs (|) are not considered to be sequential but have equal weight regardless of their order. So it's a bit of a chore to incorporate operator precedence relations, since every level has to start with a separate definition. I notice that in the Bison output, operators would appear to have no precedence rules. Am I to assume, then, that their order of presentation in the ORs matters?
    Bison has a table of operator precedence, which unfortunately isn't reflected in that output. The order of presentation in the ORs is independent of that.