Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
SimpleIDE Propeller "Run with Terminal" Error — Parallax Forums

SimpleIDE Propeller "Run with Terminal" Error

I'm attempting to push test code to my propeller from Ubuntu 16.04 with SimpleIDE 1.0.1 and am getting the following error:

propeller-load -Dreset=dtr -I /opt/parallax/propeller-load/ -b ACTIVITYBOARD cmm/Welcome.elf -r -p /dev/ttyS0Error is : Permission denied
error: opening serial port '/dev/ttyS0'

Error is : Permission denied
error: opening serial port '/dev/ttyS0'

Is this an issue with the FTDI driver, or actual permissions? I've tried a few different things and have not had any success in getting the propeller to work with Linux. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• I would think the SimpleIDE installer would do this for you, but check if your user is in the dialout group. Try running "groups" at the command line and see if the word "dialout" shows up in the output. If not, run "sudo usermod -a -G dialout $USER" and then log off and back on again before trying to run your program.
  • Possible progress. Now it cannot find the chip.

propeller-load -Dreset=dtr -I /opt/parallax/propeller-load/ -b ACTIVITYBOARD cmm/Welcome.elf -r -p /dev/ttyS0tcgetattr failed
    tcflush failed
    tcsetattr failed
    Error writing port
    error: no propeller chip on port '/dev/ttyS0'

tcgetattr failed
    tcflush failed
    tcsetattr failed
    error: no propeller chip on port '/dev/ttyS0'
  • Oh, forget my previous reply. I was on the wrong port. That did fix my issue. Thanks.
  • Excellent! :) Happy coding. I do find programming in C and C++ (whether for x86 or Propeller) much easier on Linux - I hope you do too!