Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Help Out an 8th Grader — Parallax Forums

Help Out an 8th Grader

Although I am not actively involved on the Forums much and not doing any projects, I do from time to time still browse and I came across this recently.

http://www.wcpo.com/news/local-news/hamilton-county/loveland/8th-grader-helping-friend-get-his-voice-back-by-building-electronic-device

I offered to help out by donating some of my Parallax items but this guy says he only needs a few items such as WS2812 LED's, LCD's, resistors and some POTS. I am gathering a box to send out to help him out. If anyone wants to contact him/ his mother, PM me and as soon as I am back online I will respond with an email address for them or you can contact them through Facebook. The story brought tears to my eyes as I have a niece who's daughter at just over a year old has gone through many surgeries for similar issues.

Comments

• ercoerco Posts: 20,254
    Way to go Andy! Very nice to hear from you and see that you're looking out for ways to help. I hope you are doing well yourself.

What a great story and cause! Jacob is an amazing young man to help Ethan like that. I was involved many years ago with a similar challenge. An older Mattel employee had been paralyzed by a car accident and could not communicate. A long time went by before someone realized he could just barely move one hand. Jim was a very capable ham radio operator and knew Morse code. A bunch of us jumped on a project using a Commodore 64 to display letters on TV screen getting Morse code input. We made several custom code keys for Jim to try. After lots of testing, we settled on a keyer design. I wrote the program and burned it to a cartridge for instant-on. (Who's got time for a 1541 floppy drive to spool up?)

Jim was finally able to communicate and the whole experience was very gratifying for everyone involved.