Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Prop2 FPGA files!!! - Updated 2 June 2018 - Final Version 32i - Page 67 — Parallax Forums

Prop2 FPGA files!!! - Updated 2 June 2018 - Final Version 32i

Comments

• cgraceycgracey Posts: 14,133
    ozpropdev wrote: »
    Text loader working nicely @ 2Mbaud. :)

Great! I'm almost done updating that section of documentation.
  • ozpropdev wrote: »
    Wow! You've got lots of FPGA boards. :-)

• David Betz wrote: »
    ozpropdev wrote: »
    Wow! You've got lots of FPGA boards. :-)
    I have both the BeMicro A2&A9 boards as well but ran out of USB ports!
    See me soon on the new reality TV show "FPGA Hoarders" :lol:

• I just loaded v13 into my 123-A9 board. It looks like the programming completed successfully and I see the COG 0 LED light when I switch back to RUN mode but PNut can't seem to find a Propeller on COM5. I see the COG 0 LED blink and the serial activity LEDs blink but I get a message saying something like "No P2 found on COM1 - COM9". Any idea what could be going wrong? I'm trying to load the "all COGs blink" demo.
    David Betz wrote: »
    I just loaded v13 into my 123-A9 board. It looks like the programming completed successfully and I see the COG 0 LED light when I switch back to RUN mode but PNut can't seem to find a Propeller on COM5. I see the COG 0 LED blink and the serial activity LEDs blink but I get a message saying something like "No P2 found on COM1 - COM9". Any idea what could be going wrong? I'm trying to load the "all COGs blink" demo.

Are you using the PNut_v13.exe program?

Maybe I messed up the timing in the PNut program.
  • cgracey wrote: »
    I just loaded v13 into my 123-A9 board. It looks like the programming completed successfully and I see the COG 0 LED light when I switch back to RUN mode but PNut can't seem to find a Propeller on COM5. I see the COG 0 LED blink and the serial activity LEDs blink but I get a message saying something like "No P2 found on COM1 - COM9". Any idea what could be going wrong? I'm trying to load the "all COGs blink" demo.

Yes, I'm using PNut_v13.exe that came in the zip file.

cgracey wrote: »

Try this one:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9NbgkdrupkHVWFxUGppTUZBdWc/view?usp=sharing

It uses a 75ms delay, instead of a 100ms delay.
    cgracey wrote: »

Try this one:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9NbgkdrupkHVWFxUGppTUZBdWc/view?usp=sharing

It uses a 75ms delay, instead of a 100ms delay.
    I still get the same result. This is under Win10 if it matters.
  • Let me make sure I'm getting this right. To program an image into the 123A9 I need a command like this:
    px /5 Prop123_A9_Prop2_v13.rbf

Is that correct? I don't need the /P option. That's for reprogramming the loader into the P1, right?
    Let me make sure I'm getting this right. To program an image into the 123A9 I need a command like this:

Is that correct? I don't need the /P option. That's for reprogramming the loader into the P1, right?

Looks right, but I always put the /port after the filename. I don't remember if it matters, or not.
    Let me make sure I'm getting this right. To program an image into the 123A9 I need a command like this:

Looks right, but I always put the /port after the filename. I don't remember if it matters, or not.
    My guess is that it doesn't matter since the programming seems to have completed successfully. I was mainly wanting to verify that I don't need the /P option.

• evanhevanh Posts: 15,264
    I always use /P
  • evanh wrote: »
    I always use /P
    Do you mean you always run PX twice, once with /P and once without? If I add /P to my command line I get an error. I assume that's because I don't have the jumper set correctly to program the P1. Does the P1 need to be reprogrammed to run this new image?
  • I'm definitely in deep trouble now. I tried reprogramming the FPGA with the /P option on the command line. As I mentioned in an earlier post, that failed. However, I tried programming the FPGA again using just /5. That seemed to complete okay but if I switch to RUN mode the "conf status" LED never lights and the P2 never comes up and starts COG 0. Could specifying /P when the jumper is in the FPGA programming position have fried something?
  • RaymanRayman Posts: 14,029
    edited 2016-11-03 15:55
    I don't know if this is related or not...

Was just playing with my second A9 board (this one is at work).
    It was in P1V mode and that worked fine. Identifies in Prop Tool.
    Pnut_V12 fails to identify it. Maybe that's how it's supposed to be.

But, I just flashed P2 V13 and it wouldn't identify with PNut V13.
    Flashed P2 V12 and still won't identify with Prop Tool or PNut V12.

Flashed P1V again and now identifies with Prop Tool.

Must be something strange with my driver or something...
    Just flashed V9 and that identifies in Prop Tool and Pnut V9.
  • I tried an older FPGA image and that doesn't work for me either. The "conf status" LED never lights in RUN mode so I don't think it's even trying to load the FPGA. I'm dead in the water at this point.
    Maybe you need to move the other jumper and reprogram the onboard P1?
    Doesn't the onboard P1 control the Conf LED?
  • Rayman wrote: »
    Maybe you need to move the other jumper and reprogram the onboard P1?
    Doesn't the onboard P1 control the Conf LED?
    How do I reprogram the onboard P1? Is that what the /P option is for? Do I just use this command with the jumper set in the P1 position?
    px /5 /P

edited 2016-11-03 16:33
    I don't think you use PX to program the onboard P1. I imagine you'd use the Prop Tool or something.
    Haven't done this myself though.

Actually, it's hard to see how the onboard P1 would get messed up unless the other jumper was moved...

BTW: The /P option is for "program". I thought it would not work unless that option is included... I always use it.
  • Rayman wrote: »
    I don't think you use PX to program the onboard P1. I imagine you'd use the Prop Tool or something.
    Haven't done this myself though.

Actually, it's hard to see how the onboard P1 would get messed up unless the other jumper was moved...

BTW: The /P option is for "program". I thought it would not work unless that option is included... I always use it.
    I guess I can try it again but the one time I used "px /5 /P image.rbf" I got a failure. And after that I was unable to boot the FPGA in RUN mode.

• I'm not sure what happened but I tried with /P again and now it seems to be working with the new image. I have the "all COGs blink" demo working. I ended up using this command line:
    px Prop123_A9_Prop2_v13.rbf /P /5

What does running px without the /P option do?
  • rjo__rjo__ Posts: 2,114
    I'm not sure what happened but I tried with /P again and now it seems to be working with the new image. I have the "all COGs blink" demo working. I ended up using this command line:
    px Prop123_A9_Prop2_v13.rbf /P /5

What does running px without the /P option do?

I had problems with the P option since at least v12...maybe earlier don't remember... I haven't been using it. Without the P option you get a non-persistent image...meaning that when you power cycle, you have to reload the rbf.

In v13 the P option is working for me. I now get a persistent image.

I have noticed that occasionally, running px for the first time, it fails. I forget the message. I think it has something to do with Windows not getting the driver right until a retry. If you run into something like this, retry px a couple of times. If you don't give up on it, it will eventually work.

Once it is working it stays that way for some period of time... meaning that retry efforts stay good.

Rich

C:\Users\brick>C:\Users\Public\p2\p2v13\PX.exe C:\Users\Public\p2\p2v13\Prop123_A9_Prop2_v13.rbf /P /4

make sure you are pointing to the A9 rbf and not the A7 etc.
    Well, I reloaded V13 and now it works with PNut V13.

Prop tool still doesn't recognize it though...
  • rjo__ wrote: »
    Without the P option you get a non-persistent image...meaning that when you power cycle, you have to reload the rbf.
    That's interesting. So I can program an image without using /P and then change the switch to the RUN mode and use it without changing what is stored in flash? That sounds handy.

Rayman wrote: »
    Well, I reloaded V13 and now it works with PNut V13.

Prop tool still doesn't recognize it though...

AND if you are running a program on the A9, Prop tool kills your program and reboots the image... which is not much of an issue now that the /P option is working again:)

By the way... the cog indicator light that is proof of life of the rbf image, goes off in v13. The Prop is still there and can be programmed normally.
    edited 2016-11-03 21:08
    With this new text-based loader protocol, compatibility has been broken with the Prop1. That is why the Prop1 tool no longer sees anything.

The Prop1 tool is used to program the Prop1 chip on the Prop123 board. The jumper needs to be moved to do this and the switch needs to be in the back position.
    David, are your problems resolved now?