Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
$12 Waterproof Ultrasonic Sensor — Parallax Forums

$12 Waterproof Ultrasonic Sensor

ercoerco Posts: 20,244
edited 2015-06-14 09:26 in Accessories
http://www.ebay.com/itm/360857671987

Now you build your own ultrasonic bumpers. Mine just arrived today with lots of other goodies, won't have a chance to test for a while. 5V, single transducer, same pinout as a 4-pin HC-SR04 (those are just $1.15 now)

I'll report back after I test accuracy, and if it works in 1-pin mode (like a PING). And waterproofness. :)

Of course, the waterproof one costs over ten times what the cheapie does. Depending on how long the cheapie lasts, you could let it fail and replace it ten times and still come out ahead. :)

Comments

• Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2014-08-13 16:16
    I wonder how it would behave in the rain? My guess is the rain drops would cause an echo and you'd end up with a very short range sensor.

I'm in for two.

This thing showed up as I was looking at the water proof versions.

$T2eC16hHJF8FFp0mFur9BRyotgsrNg~~60_12.JPG
    I thought it might look cool on a robot but I doubt it works like a normal ultrasound sensor. I think it just detects a change in the echo and sets a pin high. It doesn't look like it would give useful distance information.

I'll stick with the water proof ones for now.
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,244
    edited 2014-08-13 17:54
    Duane Degn wrote: »
    I'm in for two.

You're putty in my hands, Dawg!

I actually ordered this for a bona fide new toy concept. Now that I'm a freelance inventor, you wouldn't believe the crazy ideas that pop into my head at 3 AM.

Has anyone actually tried the screen door in a submarine idea yet?
  • macrobeakmacrobeak Posts: 353
    edited 2014-08-13 18:17
    Erco,
    You are the accepted centre of expertise in economic sensor procurement.
    Please could you see if you can locate an underwater ultrasonic sensor.
    I know there are many fish finder modules, and there are top-end units, but I really want a low cost, basic SR04 type module that I can incorporate in underwater robots (similar to what you do in above ground robots).
    Many thanks.
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2014-08-13 18:59
    erco wrote:
    same pinout as a 4-pin HC-SR04 (those are just $1.15 now)
    WT_? Is the Chinese government subsidizing this stuff? I can't even get a small bag of honey-roasted cashews for that! (Mmmm, sweet salty goodness!) I ordered one just to see if it's real (and to check out the competition ... about which more later).

-Phil
  • TtailspinTtailspin Posts: 1,326
    edited 2014-08-13 19:58
    I would like to see the results of testing too, I need a really water proof ultrasonic sensor for the 'Quagmire Queen' project I'm playing with now.
    It will be fully submerged at times, so every thing has to be covered and sealed.

The 'Ping People Detector' on my porch steps, works through the rain drops, I've only used it to detect peoples and critters within 8 feet or so.
    I don't use it to measure distance in this application, It only checks to see if something is there, It works rain or shine, 24/7,
    Sitting under the edge of an awning, just staring down at the steps, always reporting its farthest distance reading to the Prop,
    until something comes up the steps, then..The laser system targets and eliminates the annoyance..
    Well, actually, it just "bings" a piezo buzzer, and turns on an LED for 30 seconds or so.
    Anyway, it works as well in the rain as it does in the sunshine. It's not in a place where it will see a sheet of water, only rain drops, which it seems to ignore.

-Tommy
    edited 2014-08-13 21:35
    Ttailspin wrote: »
    The 'Ping People Detector' on my porch steps, works through the rain drops, I've only used it to detect peoples and critters within 8 feet or so.
    I don't use it to measure distance in this application, It only checks to see if something is there, It works rain or shine, 24/7,
    Sitting under the edge of an awning, just staring down at the steps, always reporting its farthest distance reading to the Prop,
    until something comes up the steps, then..The laser system targets and eliminates the annoyance..

I need one of these for so many reasons.

One is so when our substitute UPS driver practices his Ninja stealth deliveries, I'll know when the package has arrived even if the Brown Ninja doesn't ring the doorbell.
    edited 2014-08-13 21:37
    macrobeak wrote: »
    Erco,
    You are the accepted centre of expertise in economic sensor procurement.
    Please could you see if you can locate an underwater ultrasonic sensor.
    I know there are many fish finder modules, and there are top-end units, but I really want a low cost, basic SR04 type module that I can incorporate in underwater robots (similar to what you do in above ground robots).
    Many thanks.

Now you have me wanting to make a submersible tester for this sensor and try it in a pool, dangit!

Not sure how the ultrasonic signal will propagate in water. The speed of sound in water is ~4.4 times faster than air, so that must be accounted for.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_of_sound#Water
    edited 2014-08-13 21:46
    I need one of these for so many reasons.

One is so when our substitute UPS driver practices his Ninja stealth deliveries, I'll know when the package has arrived even if the Brown Ninja doesn't ring the doorbell.

What can Brown and FedEx do for you today?

http://www.komonews.com/news/local/Video-shows-UPS-driver-kicking-and-throwing-packages-268692772.html

http://www.inquisitr.com/170692/fedex-driver-throws-flat-screen-tv-over-fence/
    edited 2014-08-13 22:09
    Well, thank goodness wiki has some simple math to work out the speed of sound in water...
    A simple empirical equation for the speed of sound in sea water with reasonable accuracy for the world's oceans is due to Mackenzie:[21]c(T, S, z) = a1 + a2T + a3T2 + a4T3 + a5(S - 35) + a6z + a7z2 + a8T(S - 35) + a9Tz3where T, S, and z are temperature in degrees Celsius, salinity in parts per thousand and depth in meters, respectively. The constants a1,a2, ..., a9 are:
    a1 = 1448.96, a2 = 4.591, a3 = -5.304
    edited 2014-08-13 22:12
    erco wrote: »
    What can Brown and FedEx do for you today?

My usual UPS and FedEx drivers are great but I think when there's a substitute who doesn't know the area as well, they take shortcuts and don't ring the doorbell. This is very irritating since I have doorbells all over the house just to make sure I know when deliveries are made.
    edited 2014-08-13 22:14
    Not sure how the ultrasonic signal will propagate in water. The speed of sound in water is ~4.4 times faster than air, so that must be accounted for.

I don't think they use ultrasound underwater. A nice audible "ping" works nicely (don't you guys watch submarine movies?).
    edited 2014-08-13 22:15
    Wait..Wut??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HV1blh5H_aI#t=44

Jump to 44 seconds... You thought I was just joshin'! And how come Youtube "jump to 44 seconds" never works anymore?
    edited 2014-08-13 22:34
    Aww.. I could just watch that over and over and over and....
    edited 2014-08-14 01:57
    You just described my life with 4 year old twin girls. "Let It Go..." Over and over and...
    edited 2014-08-14 08:26
    I know, I went through it too, cept, I had boys, so it was all about Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles... I can name them all, I'm not going to, but I can...:)
    edited 2014-08-14 19:26
    Now you have me wanting to make a submersible tester for this sensor and try it in a pool, dangit!

But then I read THIS and decided to never go in a public pool again.

Eeewww.
    edited 2014-08-25 08:49
    I ordered two of these waterproof sensors on August 13. Today I received an email saying they just shipped them. Wait..Wut??
    Dear Duane Degn:

Your order 2CE57813BS791XXXX has shipped on 2014-08-25 17:29:21
    Item List:
    SKU: H9127, Name: Waterproof Non-contact Distance Ranging Ultrasonic Sensor Module Motion Detector, Amount:2
    Package Weight: 70.0g
    Shipping Address:
    XXX XXXXXX St, Chubbuck, ID, United States 83202

Shipping Methods: China USPS
    Tracking Number: LK1635065XXXX
    Track Now: http://trkcnfrm1.smi.usps.com/PTSInternetWeb/InterLabelInquiry.do

Best Regards,
    tomtop.wholesaler
    edited 2014-09-02 21:18
    Today I received an email saying they just shipped them.

The sensors arrived today. I guess the overall time isn't longer than many ebay purchases but I was surprised they waited 12 days from the date of purchase before shipping the sensors.

The Brown Ninja will no longer be able to sneak packages up to my door without being spotted.
  • GenetixGenetix Posts: 1,740
    edited 2014-09-02 22:08
    I would like to see the results of testing too, I need a really water proof ultrasonic sensor for the 'Quagmire Queen' project I'm playing with now.
    It will be fully submerged at times, so every thing has to be covered and sealed.

Well, actually, it just "bings" a piezo buzzer, and turns on an LED for 30 seconds or so.
    Anyway, it works as well in the rain as it does in the sunshine. It's not in a place where it will see a sheet of water, only rain drops, which it seems to ignore.

-Tommy

Isn't that what the PIR is designed for?
    edited 2014-09-02 22:23
    Genetix wrote: »
    Isn't that what the PIR is designed for?

PIR sensors don't work well outside.
    edited 2015-02-09 20:45
    This $13 one has a remote waterproof sensor, looks like the type embedded in car bumpers.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ultrasonic-Module-Distance-Measuring-Transducer-Sensor-Waterproof-DC-5V-Voltage/231458217811
    edited 2015-02-09 21:57
    This one looks perfect for what I want to try.. Great find erco.
    The back of the "probe" has an up arrow, I wonder how important that is?
    I think I will try one out and see.

The product feature list has some things I may, or may not need... number 5 in particular seems a bit awkward...but number 4 could be helpful if number 5 goes wrong...

Product Features:
    1, small size, easy to use;
    2, low voltage, low power consumption;
    3, high accuracy;
    4, strong anti-jamming;
    5, integrated with wire enclosed waterproof probe, suitable for wet, harsh measurement occasions.

-Tommy
    edited 2015-02-10 09:57
    HTH, Tommy. Just remember me when you get rich off your sensor-centic invention!
  • MJBMJB Posts: 1,235
    edited 2015-06-12 09:39
    Hi got my sensors few days ago.
    After trouble with customs thinking the package contained a forbidden Lithium battery

I want to use it for measuring the water level in a cistern (discussed many times - not a good environment for the normal PING(( )

I wanted to connect it to a 3.3V processor - yes the Prop - and the ESP8266 ;-) as a wireless IoT node ...

and here comes my questions:

Luckily I measured the voltage at the trigger pin, before connection -
    5 volts !!!
    seems to be a pullup of some sort.

the ESP is described as beeing sensitive to overvoltage,
    so I don'T want a direct connection.

1. Do you see the same pullup in your sensors - or is my sensor broken?
    did expect the trigger being an INPUT not pulled up ...

2. there is a red LED that is off at boot and goes on at trigger - but never off again.
    I couldn't find a schema or description - but to save power don't need / want it.
    do you have the LED as well? any idea of function ?

3. schema / docu anybody ??

of course I can simply use a transistor to do the pull down insolation and desolder the LED
    as a next step.

4. do you have experience about range / accuracy

thanks
    Markus MJB
    edited 2015-06-14 09:26
    Sorry MJB, I did not purchase one of these sensors, so don't know enough about it to be helpful.
    Some preliminary testing with a regular Ping((( , held close to the water, made my Koi fish swim away from the test platform every time I Pinged((( them.
    So I abandoned that part of project 'Count the Fish'...

Wish I could help, Hopefully someone else has purchased one of these, and will have more info for you.

-Tommy
  • MJB wrote: »
    Hi got my sensors few days ago.
    After trouble with customs thinking the package contained a forbidden Lithium battery

I want to use it for measuring the water level in a cistern (discussed many times - not a good environment for the normal PING(( )

4. do you have experience about range / accuracy

thanks
    Markus MJB

Markus, the eBay ad says "Blind 25cm". Is that the minimum detection distance ?
  • Sorry for bumping up an old thread but I was in the same boat of requirement.

And I wanted a sensor that had lesser minimum distance and to my surprise I found out there is a new sensor in town.

It has 2 transducers instead of 1 so it has smaller minimum detection distance as compared to JSN SR04T.

Also its main board is not exposed like the JSN SR04T since it looks properly sealed and is therefore fully waterproof.

https://ebay.com/itm/253978673298