Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Logitech unified keyboard and mouse via nRF24L device!? — Parallax Forums

Logitech unified keyboard and mouse via nRF24L device!?

Talking about standalone systems always brings me around to keyboards and mice and the difficulty with interfacing them since PS/2 is getting harder and harder to find. Although I use the PS/2 protocol that some devices support I haven't used the old style PS/2 connectors for many years now and prefer to use the standard USB socket for direct connection rather than the passive and therefore redundant PS/2 "adaptor".

But that got me to thinking about implementing HID USB or even programming a small chip to support HID USB back to serial or I2C rather than PS/2 perhaps. Anyway, thinking some more I tried to find if Logitech unifying receiver chips were available even and it seems that they use Nordic nRF24L01+ chips + SOC.

So on the off chance that I can hack the protocol I will hookup the nRF24L to the Prop and interact with the device via Tachyon. Nothing might come of it but if I do make it work it would be a wonderful way to interface modern keyboards and mice and even combos such as the K400r which I also use.

Here's a link to some stuff on hackaday.

Comments

• jmgjmg Posts: 15,144
    edited 2015-12-14 05:02
    Interesting idea.

I see Digikey stock PS/2 keyboards with some from Adafruit.

Adafriut also have have this, that appears to the Host as a BT Kbd, has contacts in, and also 9600 Baud Serial In.
    1535 : BLUETOOTH HID KEYBOARD CNTRLLR $19.95
    It does mention 2 way Serial here
    https://learn.adafruit.com/introducing-bluefruit-ez-key-diy-bluetooth-hid-keyboard/sending-keys-via-serial
    but not clear on what data can come from host ?

There are cheaper nRF24L01+ modules, but it is less clear if they can pair with any keyboard.
  • The nRF24 solution means we don't need any connectors but we can interface modern keyboards and mice wirelessly. The K400r is a touchpad combo that I like to use as it's field friendly being ready to use. If possible I would share the i2c clock and data so that I would only need ss and miso.
  • Merry christmas Peter. Did you have any success with this?
    Jim
  • Peter JakackiPeter Jakacki Posts: 10,193
    edited 2016-01-10 01:14
    Hi Jim, thanks for the reminder, I have been terribly sidetracked but I do want to check this out for a whole lot of reasons, so I'm bumping this thread for that purpose. I will probably check it out properly in the couple of days.

In actual fact I have some Logitech devices that are missing their receiver so I can reuse them once I get this to work.

I like using this type too, especially as a remote for my Linux PC I use as a TV media centre.
    wireless-touch-keyboard-k400r-glamour-lg.png
  • I just bought one of those keyboards today to use with my Samsung Smart TV. It works great with the TV, except that the touch pad is a little too sensitive. Hopefully, the sensitivity can be adjusted so it doesn't generate a lot of false button pushes. I got mine for $20 at Walmart. It's amazing that they can sell them so cheaply.

Peter, that would be great if you could get it to work with the Prop. I have several PS/2 keyboards that I've picked up at garage sales, but it is getting harder to find them.
  • Peter JakackiPeter Jakacki Posts: 10,193
    edited 2016-01-10 01:58
    There's another PC TV remote version of that keyboard too, the K400 plus although it doesn't look like it would be any better. Those touchpads are a little awkward to drag and drop with.
    wireless-touch-keyboard-k400-plus.png
  • Peter,
    Did you ever get this working?
    Jim
  • RS_Jim wrote: »
    Peter,
    Did you ever get this working?
    Jim

When i sit down to play with it again (soon), sniffing the airwaves, I will also try other devices too such as Microsoft as well as generic $5 brands etc.

• Peter,
    Here is a reference on the use of NRF devices that may or may not be useful in your quest:
    http://www.airspayce.com/mikem/arduino/RadioHead/index.html This is a library for packet communication with that “A” MCU but it may offer some helpful info.
    Jim