Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
ActivityBot featured in local school district video — Parallax Forums

ActivityBot featured in local school district video

The local Port Townsend School District has embarked upon a curriculum of place-based education. Since we're surrounded by water, a maritime theme is central to this district-wide curriculum. The class I helped with developed some floating ROVs guided by GPS for taking photos of the bay bottom in shallow water. In this video, the Maritime Discovery Initiative is presented and includes footage taken in my class. The students first learned Spin programming using the ActivityBot. Those skills then transferred to programming the Activity Boards in the ROVs. I recommend watching the whole video, but you can skip to the robotics stuff at 4:08.
-Phil

Comments

• Thanks for posting that video. It looks like those kids are getting some good educational opportunities and having fun.
  • WhitWhit Posts: 4,191
    Great work Phil! I posted it it here http://roboticsunderthestole.blogspot.com/2015/07/phipi-and-port-townsend-school-district.html on Robotics Under the Stole. This is an amazing program. Thanks for all you are doing to grow a new generation of robotic explorers!
  • Thanks, guys. And thanks much to Ken and Parallax! I couldn't have done it without their generosity and support.
    I'm looking forward to the coming semester, too. Although plans have not been completely firmed up, it looks like we might be doing robot arms, with the CAD students designing the mechanical parts and the programming students making them work. I'll probably have to teach a little trig to the incoming freshmen, who won't have had it yet.
    -Phil
  • WhitWhit Posts: 4,191
    edited 2015-07-29 20:58
    Thanks, guys. And thanks much to Ken and Parallax! I couldn't have done it without their generosity and support.

That is what I'm talking about! We could not do it without Parallax and they wouldn't have the reach without us! It is a great partnership!
  • Excellent video, thanks for sharing! Love the concept of place based education and they seem to have started it off very well. Would love to have my daughter have those opportunities; I know she would have an absolute blast!