Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
PropBASIC Library Examples? — Parallax Forums

PropBASIC Library Examples?

davidsaundersdavidsaunders Posts: 1,559
edited 2015-04-23 18:00 in Propeller 1
Other than the VGA, and TV I am looking for some good examples of PropBASIC Libraries.

I have attempted to modularize the PropBASIC version of my 3D Printer software a few times with out any luck, and would like to be able to do this. Using one huge file is getting out of hand for the source.

Comments

• PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2015-04-23 02:59
    There is also a Keyboard Lbrary:

http://obex.parallax.com/object/709

and a RFID Library:

http://obex.parallax.com/object/680
  • JonnyMacJonnyMac Posts: 8,918
    edited 2015-04-23 06:52
    I haven't used PropBASIC in a long time, but did find a few libraries I wrote that may be of interest.
  • idbruceidbruce Posts: 6,197
    edited 2015-04-23 07:00
    Jon
    I haven't used PropBASIC in a long time, but did find a few libraries I wrote that may be of interest.

I remember a while back, you said you prefered SPIN. Have you taken all the various IDEs for a test drive? I am wondering which one you use.
  • davidsaundersdavidsaunders Posts: 1,559
    edited 2015-04-23 08:00
    .. ..
    ,, ,,
    edited 2015-04-23 08:08
    JonnyMac wrote: »

Jon,

Nice list.

Do you think they are worthy of an OBEX submission? I believe there is still a selection for PropBasic or maybe "Other" to submit to the OBEX. Just a zip with all files so they will be available without bother you for them in the future.
    edited 2015-04-23 08:17
    Thank you very much for those, that does help a lot in getting things working correctly.
  • David BetzDavid Betz Posts: 14,511
    edited 2015-04-23 08:19
    I do prefer SPIN, though PropBASIC is growing on me.

I am using Simple IDE on the RPi for everything except PropBASIC (for which I use BST on the x86). I have thought about seeing if the PropBASIC compiler will run on the Raspberry Pi under DOSBOX with HXDOS (to run Win32 Command line apps in DOS), though I have not gotten around to that yet.

And now openspin is giving me problems all of a sudden, at least on the x86.
    PropBASIC can be .compiled with Lazarus so it should be possible to make a native RaspberryPi version. I'd offer to do it but I only have old PropBASIC sources.
    edited 2015-04-23 08:26
    I remember a while back, you said you preferred SPIN

I do. It's an incredibly elegant, modern language (unlike C which annoys me to no end) that was designed for the Propeller. Everything else has to be crowbarred in.

Have you taken all the various IDEs for a test drive? I am wondering which one you use.

For the moment I'm sticking with Propeller Tool. That said, I'm testing and providing feedback on PropellerIDE. Ultimately, that is where I will land.

Do you think they are worthy of an OBEX submission?

The modules work, but I don't want to be bothered providing my application examples, nor with dealing with ObEx.
    edited 2015-04-23 08:35
    The modules work, but I don't want to be bothered providing my application examples, nor with dealing with ObEx.

I understand Jon.
  • idbruceidbruce Posts: 6,197
    edited 2015-04-23 09:16
    Jon
    Everything else has to be crowbarred in.

It definitely appears that way :)
    For the moment I'm sticking with Propeller Tool. That said, I'm testing and providing feedback on PropellerIDE. Ultimately, that is where I will land.

I glanced at the PropellerIDE this morning and I suppose that is what prompted my question. Hopefully it will turn out to be a nice tool for SPIN development. Additionally, I hope Parallax keeps pushing forward to improve all the various useful IDEs. It is always nice to have options.
    edited 2015-04-23 10:08
    Hopefully it will turn out to be a nice tool for SPIN development.

You don't have to hope -- it will turn out well. Steve got that project off to a great start and now Brett is continuing its development for long term use for Parallax processors. It will be the IDE of choice very soon.
  • jmgjmg Posts: 15,144
    edited 2015-04-23 14:22
    David Betz wrote: »
    PropBASIC can be .compiled with Lazarus so it should be possible to make a native RaspberryPi version. I'd offer to do it but I only have old PropBASIC sources.

That would be good to see, also given this on the latest PropellerIDE
    [" This is a major step in increasing coverage of the Language definition format, the structural change that will allow PropBASIC to be supported as just another IDE language."]
  • pjvpjv Posts: 1,903
    edited 2015-04-23 14:50

Jon;

I'm quite interested in this IDE as it provides that convenient "always on" terminal for debugging, and am just wondering is there some place where we can see the comments or changes being proposed?

One of the shortcomings that I see is the lack of hex addresses when hovering the mouse over a label. In addition to the address, the hex and decimal values of any instruction line or constant would be very convenient. Of course the F8 memory dump in the PropellerTool is also a very useful feature.

Looking forward to the new-and-improved, whenever it comes out.

Cheers,

Peter (pjv)
    edited 2015-04-23 17:12
    I am not aware of a RISC OS port of Free Pascal (I assume that is what you mean by "Lazarus", as Lazarus is an IDE not a compiler). In fact I am not aware of any GOOD Pascal Compiler for RISC OS that is 32-bit R15 (Program Counter) clean (eariler versions of RISC OS ran on ARM's that had the combined PC and Status Word in R15, and thus accessing the status word was a bit different).

If you are aware of any good Object Pascal compiler for modern RISC OS, that is able to compile PropBASIC I would definitely be interested. Or even a Object Pascal to C translator that produces code that can be compiled with Norcroft C (the main C Compiler for RISC OS), or even with GCC 4.7.1 (I have it on my RISC OS install).

I do thank you for the input though.
    edited 2015-04-23 17:18
    I am not aware of a RISC OS port of Free Pascal (I assume that is what you mean by "Lazarus", as Lazarus is an IDE not a compiler). In fact I am not aware of any GOOD Pascal Compiler for RISC OS that is 32-bit R15 (Program Counter) clean (eariler versions of RISC OS ran on ARM's that had the combined PC and Status Word in R15, and thus accessing the status word was a bit different).

If you are aware of any good Object Pascal compiler for modern RISC OS, that is able to compile PropBASIC I would definitely be interested. Or even a Object Pascal to C translator that produces code that can be compiled with Norcroft C (the main C Compiler for RISC OS), or even with GCC 4.7.1 (I have it on my RISC OS install).

Sorry, I forgot you weren't running Linux on your RaspberryPi.
  • jmgjmg Posts: 15,144
    edited 2015-04-23 17:21

For the recent thread on the RaspPi 2 tests and screenshot see

http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php/160718-Propeller-Chip-Raspberry-Pi-2-Interfacing-With-Free-Pascal-amp-Lazarus?highlight=Lazarus

Yes, that runs FPC (the compiler) which then builds Lazarus (the IDE & libraries) and the whole thing Lazarus/FPC then runs on a Pi2 with tolerable performance, by the reports.
    That means a PropBASIC hosted on Pi2, should be (relatively) simple.
    edited 2015-04-23 17:25
    Sorry, I forgot you weren't running Linux on your RaspberryPi.
    That is ok.

I was using Linux for the Propeller, though decided even that to be less productive than worthwhile. Now I am attempting to port OpenSpin, and the Propeller Loader to RISC OS, though that is to be a slow process.

I have the FTDI module installed in my RISC OS system, and am looking at the loader to see what I need to do on that end.

For the compiler, perhaps if I could find the very old thread that describes the spin byte code implementation I could just whip something up in BBC BASIC V (complete with a good WIMP front end). I am also thinking about possibly just whiping up a simple ARM assembly based Propeller Loader, though I am not sure about that yet, and it would require digging up another thread that describes the method that the serial protocal is abused to load the Propeller.
    edited 2015-04-23 17:42
    jmg wrote: »
    For the recent thread on the RaspPi 2 tests and screenshot see

http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php/160718-Propeller-Chip-Raspberry-Pi-2-Interfacing-With-Free-Pascal-amp-Lazarus?highlight=Lazarus

Yes, that runs FPC (the compiler) which then builds Lazarus (the IDE & libraries) and the whole thing Lazarus/FPC then runs on a Pi2 with tolerable performance, by the reports.
    That means a PropBASIC hosted on Pi2, should be (relatively) simple.
    That is for those that run Linx on there RPi and RPi2.

As stated I am targetting RISC OS, which for my use is a better OS (and not much older, though the OS itself is more uptodate than Linux :) ). For some people Linux fits better, do to there usage (dirrectory seperators '/' that make it easier to integrate the FS into a network enviroment, Protected memory so that you can not do anything cool with the OS, etc, etc), for me as a simple desktop user and programmer RISC OS fits a lot better.

To change up a bit:
    Do you know if PropBASIC will run with HXDOS? HXDOS is a 32-BIT PE loader and HDMI for DOS that will run a large number of Win32 command line Programs in DOS, and add FastDOSBox for RISC OS to that and you have a working enviroment :) .
    edited 2015-04-23 17:45
    That is ok.

I was using Linux for the Propeller, though decided even that to be less productive than worthwhile. Now I am attempting to port OpenSpin, and the Propeller Loader to RISC OS, though that is to be a slow process.

I have the FTDI module installed in my RISC OS system, and am looking at the loader to see what I need to do on that end.

For the compiler, perhaps if I could find the very old thread that describes the spin byte code implementation I could just whip something up in BBC BASIC V (complete with a good WIMP front end). I am also thinking about possibly just whiping up a simple ARM assembly based Propeller Loader, though I am not sure about that yet, and it would require digging up another thread that describes the method that the serial protocal is abused to load the Propeller.
    Jeff Martin from Parallax has written a nice document describing the Propeller ROM loader protocol that you should be able to use to make your own loader. Check the Parallax github site. I think he posted it there.
    edited 2015-04-23 18:00
    Jeff Martin from Parallax has written a nice document describing the Propeller ROM loader protocol that you should be able to use to make your own loader. Check the Parallax github site. I think he posted it there.
    Do you by chance have an idea of where on the Parallax github site?
  • I have written a host of PropBasic Libraries which I posted on the old forum site a few years back. I am in the process of reviewing the sample programs and will post them soon on this thread: http://forums.parallax.com/discussion/163372/propbasic-libraries