Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
propeller not found :[ — Parallax Forums

propeller not found :[

ohVaNiLLaGoRiLLaohVaNiLLaGoRiLLa Posts: 33
edited 2015-02-24 17:19 in Propeller 1
I have recently gotten a propeller quickstart but when i try to program it the propeller tool does not see it. It says that "no propeller chip found on any serial port" I have tried all the usb ports on my computer and even a different usb cable. When I plug it in the computer recognizes it and makes the usual sound when you plug in a usb device. The green light on the quick start is on also. When I go to edit the ports in the propeller tool and plug it in com 15 pops up and is ready to be used, it is black and not gray. So it seems to see something is there but just wont recognize it.

what do you think the problem is?:[

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2013-08-06 11:58
    Make sure the right FTDI USB driver is installed. The QuickStart board has to be "not plugged in" when installing the driver. This installation should have happened when you installed the Propeller Tool. You can always download the latest driver from <www.ftdichip.com>. You want the VCP driver (virtual com port)
  • Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2013-08-08 07:42
    Gorilla,

Have you got this figured out?

One problem I've had a couple of times is I've left the terminal window open and it automatically engages with the com port as soon as the QS is plugged in. I need to remember to click the "Disable" before the Prop Tool will see the QS. Although I think this isn't normally the case. I've deselected the "Automatically disable . . ." option.

Another thing to try is to use the QS on a different computer (if one is available).

Let us know if you still need help.
  • iammegatroniammegatron Posts: 40
    edited 2015-02-24 15:59
    I had the same issue (propeller not found) with a propeller quick start board. However when I put an external power supply (+5) on VIN, everything works.

When the board is powered by USB cable only, the pin "VIN" only gets up to 3V, and "3.3V" pin only goes to 2V. Interestingly RESn pin goes high. (brown-out protection?) So the propeller wasn't able to respond to IDE at all.

So I traced the schematic, it seems that the diode "D12" drops "5V_USB" to 3V. So I replaced the diode and now it is working fine.

(When I removed the broken D12, I verified that there is only 40mA current going through this branch. So probably nothing wrong with the rest of the board.)
  • Peter JakackiPeter Jakacki Posts: 10,193
    edited 2015-02-24 16:41
    I had the same issue (propeller not found) with a propeller quick start board. However when I put an external power supply (+5) on VIN, everything works.

When the board is powered by USB cable only, the pin "VIN" only gets up to 3V, and "3.3V" pin only goes to 2V. Interestingly RESn pin goes high. (brown-out protection?) So the propeller wasn't able to respond to IDE at all.

So I traced the schematic, it seems that the diode "D12" drops "5V_USB" to 3V. So I replaced the diode and now it is working fine.

(When I removed the broken D12, I verified that there is only 40mA current going through this branch. So probably nothing wrong with the rest of the board.)

In that case you probably shorted the 5V USB after the diode at some point and normally the diodes can either go dead short or fail in some other manner such as you have observed.
    BTW, the RESn should be high normally but I think you may have meant low since you mentioned brown-out which would be correct.

Another thing is that not all USB cables are "charger" cables, they might be fine for unpowered data connections but fail miserably when it comes to supplying power as the power "wires" might not be anything more than a flimsy copper foil thread much like cheap earphone cables (shock horror surprise when I pulled one apart). I have a test setup where I load up the device end with 25 ohms (200ma @5V) and measure the voltage drop. Since there are so many things that are powered from the USB port I wonder why all USB ports don't supply a slightly higher voltage (5.2) to compensate for voltage drops or allow for device end voltage sensing.
  • jmgjmg Posts: 15,145
    edited 2015-02-24 17:19
    Since there are so many things that are powered from the USB port I wonder why all USB ports don't supply a slightly higher voltage (5.2) to compensate for voltage drops or allow for device end voltage sensing.
    I noticed not everything flips my HP Stream 7 tablet into full charge mode.
    Searching the net, finds this is a widespread issue, and one person claimed 5.15v was the magic level S7 needed to see - and I guess they also do a droop test as well.

The HP charger + Cable is fine, so it must do as you suggest, and start > 5.15V