Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Basic Stamp Professional Development Board — Parallax Forums

Basic Stamp Professional Development Board

WhitWhit Posts: 4,191
edited 2015-03-28 08:59 in BASIC Stamp
Is there still a Basic Stamp Professional Development Board? I could not find it on the site.

Don't tell me I missed getting one!

Comments

• JonnyMacJonnyMac Posts: 8,918
    edited 2015-02-06 20:58
    The part # is 28138 -- I couldn't find it either. Sad, I love that board (I had a hand in its design, so I'm biased). I developed a lot of BASIC Stamp and SX-based products on the PDB. Thankfully, I still have mine.
  • PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2015-02-07 02:24
  • NWCCTVNWCCTV Posts: 3,629
    edited 2015-02-07 17:16
    It looks like you missed out. Several months ago I had one in the classifieds. @sapphire snatched it up along with a BS2, a ServoPAL and a FREE Stellaris board!!! I decided to part with it since I have moved on to the Prop and do very little with Stamps nowadays,
  • WhitWhit Posts: 4,191
    edited 2015-02-07 19:48
    Thanks everyone for the replies! You snooze you lose - I guess!

Like erco - in the thread that Publison posted - I am on the hunt!

Remember the old ad that Parallax had for the Professional Development Board - "The One You Really Want!" Should have gotten one then - cause it was the one I really wanted. Seemed too expensive then for a beginner. I don't know that much more know - I'm just WAY more obsessed! Ha! ;-)

Thanks for the info JonnyMac and NWCCTV.
  • ratronicratronic Posts: 1,451
    edited 2015-02-08 07:47
    Whit I have one I haven't I used in years - I sent you a personal message. I hope you like my offer, I think it is just the right price.
    edited 2015-02-08 08:02
    I have one going to Whit tomorrow. We have been PM'ing.
  • ratronicratronic Posts: 1,451
    edited 2015-02-08 08:08
    Ok sounds like Whit is setup then!
    edited 2015-02-08 17:47
    Hey all! I cannot believe how kind everyone here is! I have received many kind offers of help and am all set thanks to Jim. These Forums are the best!

Now, I'm off to gather resources from the Parallax site! EXCITED!
    edited 2015-02-09 02:39
    Whit,

My first stop would be the StampWorks page:

http://www.parallax.com/product/27297

The full manual, (written by JonnyMac), is available as a PDF. There are some great experiments in there.
    edited 2015-02-09 17:08
    @Publison - got it! and followed the links in the thread from Ken (post by you too) - good stuff there too - Got the code, documentation sheet and schematic!

Fun stuff...
    edited 2015-02-13 19:58
    I am now the proud owner of a Professional Development Board - #28138 - Rev. D. Thanks so much Jim!

This board is a beauty!
    edited 2015-02-14 02:59
    Happy Stamping, Whit!
  • $WMc%$WMc% Posts: 1,884
    edited 2015-02-14 10:52
    This makes as much since as a BBQ restaurant dropping all the meat from their menu and offering Oats and smoked Granola!!!
    '
    What are they thinking?
    edited 2015-02-14 11:07
    I have to agree with Ken:
    Aww, come on guys! While it's a great kit, it's also maybe 12 years old.

What you need to understand is that we can't maintain so many kits. When the volume starts to go down and parts become obsolete we have to make some tough decisions. The StampWorks kit remains one of our best, but it was becoming obsolete due to high cost, low volume and - the biggest issue of all - component obsolescence. To continue it would mean you wouldn't have newer products like ActivityBots, GPS modules or whatever else we are producing.

These kits are certainly out there in distribution and you can still buy them. Worse case I'm sure I could rustle one up from our office.

Ken Gracey
    ]
  • NWCCTVNWCCTV Posts: 3,629
    edited 2015-02-14 17:12
    I also agree with Ken. What's really great is the current price of the Propeller Professional Development Board. I just bought one today at 40% off!!!! Have been wanting one for a while and my budget and the sale seemed to finally coincide so I bought one along with some other items today!
    edited 2015-02-14 20:28
    @Walt - some of us just enjoy a bit of rocket surgery!
  • $WMc%$WMc% Posts: 1,884
    edited 2015-02-15 17:28
    Whit wrote: »
    @Walt - some of us just enjoy a bit of rocket surgery!
    '
    Yeah....lol
    '
    I have a BSPDB and use it all the time.(It will seat a BS2p40 while most of the other boards will not) (Not to leave out the SXB as well)
    '
    I hate to see this board go.
  • MarkDeSouzaMarkDeSouza Posts: 17
    edited 2015-02-23 11:49
    I raised the question about the BS professional development board and Sapphire snatched the last one that was offered on the same post before I even got to it :(.
  • tomcrawfordtomcrawford Posts: 1,126
    edited 2015-02-23 13:32
    I raised the question about the BS professional development board and Sapphire snatched the last one that was offered on the same post before I even got to it :(.

Here's another...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PARALLAX-StampWorks-Experiment-Kit-/181670166897?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a4c62c171

Edit: You pay more but get some extra stuff.
  • GenetixGenetix Posts: 1,742
    edited 2015-02-23 13:45
    A few retailers still have StampWorks kits which have the Professional Developer Board, Jon Williams excellent StampWorks manual, and everything needed for all but the last experiment which uses a different BS2 module.

I just did a quick search and saw it at Frys and Abra but this is the best price of all.
    http://www.rpelectronics.com/27297-stampworks-experiment-kit.html
    edited 2015-02-23 13:49
    The extra stuff is well worth it. Not only does the excellent book deal with all the supplied components, it allows you to use those components in a multitude of final projects.
    edited 2015-02-25 07:10

Can't believe this is still unsold at $120.00 BIN!
  • 4x5n4x5n Posts: 745
    edited 2015-02-25 16:33
    Publison wrote: »
    I have to agree with Ken:

]

I don't disagree with Ken and certainly think they have a right to discontinue products that are no longer profitable. I am going to repeat a request to anyone from Parallax that may read this is that I wish they would announce when a product will be discontinued a reasonable (for some definition of reasonable) time prior so that those of us that may be on the fence about buying one will have a chance to get one or a backup, etc!
  • GenetixGenetix Posts: 1,742
    edited 2015-02-26 13:02
    4x5n,

Parallax discontinued most of the Stamps In Class kits over the last few years but many are still available from resellers.
  • Jen J.Jen J. Posts: 649
    edited 2015-02-26 15:59
    If you are ever on the fence about a purchase and the item in question displays the hourglass icon on the product page of our store site, know that its time may be limited.

We use the hourglass icon to mark limited time status for products that are End-Of-Life or considered Pilot Products (new items we are testing out to see if we want to stock them past our initial purchase). Stock quantities are also displayed to give you an idea of how urgent your purchase may need to be. This is a way of making this information available for all site visitors.

Example limited time product: http://www.parallax.com/product/910-40000a
  • davejamesdavejames Posts: 4,045
    edited 2015-02-26 16:28
    Jen J. wrote: »
    If you are ever on the fence about a purchase and the item in question displays the hourglass icon...

I would have never noticed that icon unless it had been pointed out to me.
  • Jen J.Jen J. Posts: 649
    edited 2015-02-26 17:15
    The goal was to provide a quiet reminder rather than put "End-Of-Life" in the product description. Some customers found that off putting.

Mission accomplished?
  • 4x5n4x5n Posts: 745
    edited 2015-02-26 20:17
    Jen J. wrote: »
    The goal was to provide a quiet reminder rather than put "End-Of-Life" in the product description. Some customers found that off putting.

Mission accomplished?

Would have been nice if it was announced that the hourglass might be there and what it meant. I know I never noticed it. Interestingly enough I never thought of putting an end of life notice on the same page as the product description. I was thinking more of something along the line of a post in the announcement board of this forum.
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2015-02-27 08:21
    4x5n wrote: »
    Interestingly enough I never thought of putting an end of life notice on the same page as the product description. I was thinking more of something along the line of a post in the announcement board of this forum.

In all fairness the forums represent only a portion of our customers. Most customers do visit the website though. Since that's where you'd would go for the product it makes more sense to put that information there.
  • Buck RogersBuck Rogers Posts: 2,161
    edited 2015-03-27 20:34
    In all fairness the forums represent only a portion of our customers. Most customers do visit the website though. Since that's where you'd would go for the product it makes more sense to put that information there.

Hello!
    I agree. I do both. (Visit the website to build a shopping list and sometimes buy stuff, but not directly from the site, typically calling in after finding stuff. Then of course, visiting the forum to kibbitz or post my own issues.)

For example I needed to obtain these three items, BS1 and a Carrier board and a Programming widget. The Carrier board's purchase was spurred by the notation that it was being discontinued,.

It became logical to buy the others. I also added to it the four RFID cards to keep company the reader and the others.

See here http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php/160612-New-To-here-Device-Friday and the events described there.

And incidentally JonnyMac your writings on the Stamp1 convinced me to to do that.....