Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Need help with ActivityBot — Parallax Forums

Need help with ActivityBot

jake4832jake4832 Posts: 2
edited 2015-01-29 09:38 in Learn with BlocklyProp
I recently purchased the ActivityBot. I installed the USBdrivers, Learn folder, and SimpleIDE software. I then built and plugged in my robot. I tried to do the first "Hello Message" activity, but when I did "Run with Terminal", the terminal displayed nothing. I made sure the robot was turned on, the batteries worked, and the software was all installed, Still nothing. Another thing is the p26 and p27 LED lights are flashing on and off one at a time and won't stop. Please help me.

Comments

• Matt GillilandMatt Gilliland Posts: 1,406
    edited 2014-12-22 11:30
    Hi Jake4832 - Welcome to the Forums!

Give Chris Savage (in our Tech Support Department) a call...he's really sharp and will help you get your AB up and going in no-time.

Our Tech Support number is: 888-997-8267.

-MattG
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2014-12-22 12:03
    Did you get a build error (in the status window at the bottom of the screen)? If so please post the messages as it will indicate if the program failed to compile or download and why.
  • edited 2014-12-23 06:49
    Even if you don't get a build error after you Run with Terminal, send the build status. Click Help - Build Error Rescue, and click the copy button. Then paste into an email. It's a good idea to also paste in your code.
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2014-12-23 07:57
    You should content at support and inform them your issue.

This forum is for support. =) Members are welcome to post issues here and we can assist them here. Others may benefit from the dialogue.
  • TmoneyTmoney Posts: 10
    edited 2014-12-26 14:07
    jake4832 wrote: »
    I recently purchased the ActivityBot. I installed the USBdrivers, Learn folder, and SimpleIDE software. I then built and plugged in my robot. I tried to do the first "Hello Message" activity, but when I did "Run with Terminal", the terminal displayed nothing. I made sure the robot was turned on, the batteries worked, and the software was all installed, Still nothing. Another thing is the p26 and p27 LED lights are flashing on and off one at a time and won't stop. Please help me.

Same exact problem here as well.I 'm in the UK and will call the states tomorrow (27th) but I was curious if there is an equivalent support contact in the UK. I'm running Mac 10.6.8.
  • PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2014-12-26 14:11
    Tmoney wrote: »
    Same exact problem here as well.I 'm in the UK and will call the states tomorrow (27th) but I was curious if there is an equivalent support contact in the UK. I'm running Mac 10.6.8.

Tech support will not be open until Dec.29th due to the holidays.
  • jazzedjazzed Posts: 11,803
    edited 2014-12-26 14:24
    Even if you don't get a build error after you Run with Terminal, send the build status. Click Help - Build Error Rescue, and click the copy button. Then paste into an email. It's a good idea to also paste in your code.
    Please copy/paste "Build Error Rescue" output here on the forum after clicking "Run with Terminal."

That is your best chance of getting help at the moment.

--Steve
    edited 2014-12-27 01:38
    Project Directory: /Users/admin/Documents/SimpleIDE/My Projects/

SimpleIDE Version 0.9.66
    /Users/admin/Documents/SimpleIDE/Learn/Simple Libraries/
    /Users/admin/Documents/SimpleIDE/ Updated on: 2014-12-19

propeller-elf-gcc -v
    /Applications/SimpleIDE.app/Contents/MacOS/../propeller-gcc/bin/propeller-elf-gcc error ... (1)

propeller-elf-gcc -I . -L . -I /Users/admin/Documents/SimpleIDE/Learn/Simple Libraries/Utility/libsimpletools -L /Users/admin/Documents/SimpleIDE/Learn/Simple Libraries/Utility/libsimpletools/cmm/ -I /Users/admin/Documents/SimpleIDE/Learn/Simple Libraries/TextDevices/libsimpletext -L /Users/admin/Documents/SimpleIDE/Learn/Simple Libraries/TextDevices/libsimpletext/cmm/ -I /Users/admin/Documents/SimpleIDE/Learn/Simple Libraries/Protocol/libsimplei2c -L /Users/admin/Documents/SimpleIDE/Learn/Simple Libraries/Protocol/libsimplei2c/cmm/ -o cmm/Welcome.elf -Os -mcmm -m32bit-doubles -fno-exceptions -std=c99 Welcome.c -lm -lsimpletools -lsimpletext -lsimplei2c -lm -lsimpletools -lsimpletext -lm -lsimpletools -lm
    /Applications/SimpleIDE.app/Contents/MacOS/../propeller-gcc/bin/propeller-elf-gcc error ... (1)

propeller-load -s cmm/Welcome.elf
    /Applications/SimpleIDE.app/Contents/MacOS/../propeller-gcc/bin/propeller-load error ... (1)

propeller-elf-objdump -h cmm/Welcome.elf
    /Applications/SimpleIDE.app/Contents/MacOS/../propeller-gcc/bin/propeller-elf-objdump error ... (1)

Done. Build Succeeded!

propeller-load -Dreset=dtr -I /Applications/SimpleIDE.app/Contents/MacOS/../propeller-gcc/propeller-load/ -b ACTIVITYBOARD cmm/Welcome.elf -r -p /dev/cu.usbserial-DAXJKF35
    /Applications/SimpleIDE.app/Contents/MacOS/../propeller-gcc/bin/propeller-load error ... (1)
    edited 2014-12-27 01:52
    Ok.

Well, that installation appears to be broken.

Do you have a /Applications/SimpleIDE.app ?
    If so, does this file exist? /Applications/SimpleIDE.app/Contents/MacOS/../propeller-gcc/bin/propeller-elf-gcc
    You may need to "Show Contents" on the folder.

You have OS version 10.6.8? We test with 10.7 Lion and higher. It is unclear to me if 10.6.x will work or not.

--Steve

Project Directory: /Users/admin/Documents/SimpleIDE/My Projects/

SimpleIDE Version 0.9.66
    /Users/admin/Documents/SimpleIDE/Learn/Simple Libraries/
    /Users/admin/Documents/SimpleIDE/ Updated on: 2014-12-19

propeller-elf-gcc -v

propeller-elf-gcc -I . -L . -I /Users/admin/Documents/SimpleIDE/Learn/Simple Libraries/Utility/libsimpletools -L /Users/admin/Documents/SimpleIDE/Learn/Simple Libraries/Utility/libsimpletools/cmm/ -I /Users/admin/Documents/SimpleIDE/Learn/Simple Libraries/TextDevices/libsimpletext -L /Users/admin/Documents/SimpleIDE/Learn/Simple Libraries/TextDevices/libsimpletext/cmm/ -I /Users/admin/Documents/SimpleIDE/Learn/Simple Libraries/Protocol/libsimplei2c -L /Users/admin/Documents/SimpleIDE/Learn/Simple Libraries/Protocol/libsimplei2c/cmm/ -o cmm/Welcome.elf -Os -mcmm -m32bit-doubles -fno-exceptions -std=c99 Welcome.c -lm -lsimpletools -lsimpletext -lsimplei2c -lm -lsimpletools -lsimpletext -lm -lsimpletools -lm

/Applications/SimpleIDE.app/Contents/MacOS/../propeller-gcc/bin/propeller-elf-objdump error ... (1)

Done. Build Succeeded!

propeller-load -Dreset=dtr -I /Applications/SimpleIDE.app/Contents/MacOS/../propeller-gcc/propeller-load/ -b ACTIVITYBOARD cmm/Welcome.elf -r -p /dev/cu.usbserial-DAXJKF35
    edited 2014-12-27 03:15
    here is what i found . A terminal file in propeller-gcc/bin/propeller-elf-gcc

Last login: Fri Dec 26 21:27:50 on console
    /Applications/SimpleIDE.app/Contents/propeller-gcc/bin/propeller-elf-gcc ; exit;
    admins-macbook:~ admin$ /Applications/SimpleIDE.app/Contents/propeller-gcc/bin/propeller-elf-gcc ; exit;
    Illegal instruction
    logout

[Process completed]
    edited 2014-12-27 08:57
    Is your Mac an x86 64 bit computer? That's the only processor we support.

here is what i found . A terminal file in propeller-gcc/bin/propeller-elf-gcc

Last login: Fri Dec 26 21:27:50 on console
    /Applications/SimpleIDE.app/Contents/propeller-gcc/bin/propeller-elf-gcc ; exit;
    admins-macbook:~ admin$ /Applications/SimpleIDE.app/Contents/propeller-gcc/bin/propeller-elf-gcc ; exit;
    Illegal instruction
    logout

[Process completed]
    edited 2014-12-27 10:30
    my processor is an INtel Core 2 Duo which I believe is 64 bit. I went ahead and bought an OS upgrade to 10.8, but it's not available for download yet.
    edited 2014-12-31 13:03
    No Luck! I tried to upgrade to 10.8 but apparently my mac is to old so I could only upgrade to 10.7. UNfortunately same error. The device port window does innate a new port when the activity bot is plugged in and turned on. u it is not a "Comm" port it is "/dev/cu.usbserial-DAXJKF35"
    edited 2014-12-31 13:23
    My computer does recognise the USB port as activity board : here are the details

Propeller Activity Brd:

Product ID: 0x6015
    Vendor ID: 0x0403 (Future Technology Devices International Limited)
    Version: 10.00
    Serial Number: DAXJKF35
    Speed: Up to 12 Mb/sec
    Manufacturer: Parallax Inc
    Location ID: 0x1d100000 / 2
    Current Available (mA): 500
    Current Required (mA): 500

Still get error message (in previous message) when trying to run terminal
  • edited 2014-12-31 16:37
    ... it is not a "Comm" port it is "/dev/cu.usbserial-DAXJKF35"

That is what COM ports look like in the Mac version of SimpleIDE. As long as you installed the FTDI driver, that part appears to be working.

Are you saying that you still see the same error from post #10, or is it different now. If it's the same, reinstalling the software might be worth a try if you have not already done so after the upgrade.

You might also check whether you have a Core Duo or a Core 2 Duo. I'm seeing in various discussions that the Core Duo is 32 bit, while the Core 2 Duo was the first 64 bit.
    edited 2015-01-01 01:22
    That is what COM ports look like in the Mac version of SimpleIDE. As long as you installed the FTDI driver, that part appears to be working.

Are you saying that you still see the same error from post #10, or is it different now. If it's the same, reinstalling the software might be worth a try if you have not already done so after the upgrade.

You might also check whether you have a Core Duo or a Core 2 Duo. I'm seeing in various discussions that the Core Duo is 32 bit, while the Core 2 Duo was the first 64 bit.

Thats good news about the Com port. I have reinstalled the software several times and my processor is definitely a core 2 duo. Fortunately I know it is nothing to do with the BOT because it works fine on my wife's Windows 8 computer. Running out of options and getting very frustrated. Im going to give tech support a call when they are open next and see if they can help. Otherwise it looks like I'll be using my wife's computer when it's available.
  • Tony 4dTony 4d Posts: 45
    edited 2015-01-02 07:01
    Thats good news about the Com port. I have reinstalled the software several times and my processor is definitely a core 2 duo. Fortunately I know it is nothing to do with the BOT because it works fine on my wife's
    Windows 8 computer. Running out of options and getting very frustrated. Im going to give tech support a call when they are open next and see if they can help. Otherwise it looks like I'll be using my wife's computer when it's available.

Please let us know how you make out? I'm very interested in this.
    edited 2015-01-02 10:04
    Hi

I was curious to see if V1.0.1 RC1 worked on my Mac.

I don't build Mac distributions anymore. Dennis and Jeff do that now. Jeff signs the packages for Parallax.

There was no problem with the RC1 distribution. Here is my Welcome.c Build Error Rescue for reference.
    Project Directory: /Users/steve/Documents/SimpleIDE/My Projects/

SimpleIDE Version 1.0.1
    /Users/steve/Documents/SimpleIDE/Learn/Simple Libraries/
    /Users/steve/Documents/SimpleIDE/ Updated on: 2015-01-02

propeller-elf-gcc -v GCC 4.6.1 (propellergcc_v1_0_0_2423)
    propeller-elf-gcc -I . -L . -I /Users/steve/Documents/SimpleIDE/Learn/Simple Libraries/Utility/libsimpletools -L /Users/steve/Documents/SimpleIDE/Learn/Simple Libraries/Utility/libsimpletools/cmm/ -I /Users/steve/Documents/SimpleIDE/Learn/Simple Libraries/TextDevices/libsimpletext -L /Users/steve/Documents/SimpleIDE/Learn/Simple Libraries/TextDevices/libsimpletext/cmm/ -I /Users/steve/Documents/SimpleIDE/Learn/Simple Libraries/Protocol/libsimplei2c -L /Users/steve/Documents/SimpleIDE/Learn/Simple Libraries/Protocol/libsimplei2c/cmm/ -o cmm/Welcome.elf -Os -mcmm -m32bit-doubles -fno-exceptions -std=c99 Welcome.c -lm -lsimpletools -lsimpletext -lsimplei2c -lm -lsimpletools -lsimpletext -lm -lsimpletools -lm
    Done. Build Succeeded!

propeller-load -Dreset=dtr -I /Applications/SimpleIDE.app/Contents/MacOS/../propeller-gcc/propeller-load/ -b ACTIVITYBOARD cmm/Welcome.elf -r -p /dev/cu.usbserial-DAX1M24MPropeller Version 1 on /dev/cu.usbserial-DAX1M24M
    Loading cmm/Welcome.elf to hub memory
    8140 bytes sent

Verifying RAM ... 
    OK

edited 2015-01-02 11:32
    jazzed wrote: »
    Hi

I was curious to see if V1.0.1 RC1 worked on my Mac.

I don't build Mac distributions anymore. Dennis and Jeff do that now. Jeff signs the packages for Parallax.

There was no problem with the RC1 distribution. Here is my Welcome.c Build Error Rescue for reference.
    Project Directory: /Users/steve/Documents/SimpleIDE/My Projects/

SimpleIDE Version 1.0.1
    /Users/steve/Documents/SimpleIDE/Learn/Simple Libraries/
    /Users/steve/Documents/SimpleIDE/ Updated on: 2015-01-02

propeller-elf-gcc -v GCC 4.6.1 (propellergcc_v1_0_0_2423)
    propeller-elf-gcc -I . -L . -I /Users/steve/Documents/SimpleIDE/Learn/Simple Libraries/Utility/libsimpletools -L /Users/steve/Documents/SimpleIDE/Learn/Simple Libraries/Utility/libsimpletools/cmm/ -I /Users/steve/Documents/SimpleIDE/Learn/Simple Libraries/TextDevices/libsimpletext -L /Users/steve/Documents/SimpleIDE/Learn/Simple Libraries/TextDevices/libsimpletext/cmm/ -I /Users/steve/Documents/SimpleIDE/Learn/Simple Libraries/Protocol/libsimplei2c -L /Users/steve/Documents/SimpleIDE/Learn/Simple Libraries/Protocol/libsimplei2c/cmm/ -o cmm/Welcome.elf -Os -mcmm -m32bit-doubles -fno-exceptions -std=c99 Welcome.c -lm -lsimpletools -lsimpletext -lsimplei2c -lm -lsimpletools -lsimpletext -lm -lsimpletools -lm
    Done. Build Succeeded!

propeller-load -Dreset=dtr -I /Applications/SimpleIDE.app/Contents/MacOS/../propeller-gcc/propeller-load/ -b ACTIVITYBOARD cmm/Welcome.elf -r -p /dev/cu.usbserial-DAX1M24MPropeller Version 1 on /dev/cu.usbserial-DAX1M24M
    Loading cmm/Welcome.elf to hub memory
    8140 bytes sent

Verifying RAM ... 
    OK

Was this ran in 10.6.8?
    edited 2015-01-04 09:22
    Tony 4d wrote: »
    Was this ran in 10.6.8?

Ok, I seem to be having the exact same issue! Need answers please.
  • Jeff MartinJeff Martin Posts: 751
    edited 2015-01-05 13:14
    Ok, I seem to be having the exact same issue! Need answers please.

I don't think we ever intended to support 10.6.8; the oldest version we supported is 10.7.

I've been doing some testing on 10.7 and have now experienced the same problem reported here. It appears that something is wrong in the GCC compiler utilities of this build, but I'm not sure what yet. I think all this works in 10.8, but I haven't verified this yet today.

UPDATE: Our Learn site indicates 10.8 is the oldest version supported. (see below) I didn't remember this point myself, or I'd have pointed it out earlier.

"Verify that your Mac is running OSX 10.8 or newer."
  • dgatelydgately Posts: 1,621
    edited 2015-01-06 00:59
    Tony 4d & TMoney,

Can you execute the following commands in the Terminal app and report the results, please?
      $ ioreg -l -p IODeviceTree | grep firmware-abi

$ uname -a

These will show if the kernel and EFI are running as 32 or 64 bit.

dgately
    edited 2015-01-06 06:42
    dgately wrote: »
    Tony 4d & TMoney,

Can you execute the following commands in the Terminal app and report the results, please?
      $ ioreg -l -p IODeviceTree | grep firmware-abi

$ uname -a

These will show if the kernel and EFI are running as 32 or 64 bit.

dgately

This is the message I got when I copy and pasted your code into the terminl.
    Screen shot 2015-01-06 at 9.34.41 AM.png

This says it's running in 64 bit.
    Ext.jpg
    800 x 750 - 204K
    edited 2015-01-06 07:10
    :-)

Don't type in the "$" (that's just the command-line prompt)... Sorry!

dgately
    edited 2015-01-06 09:38
    :-)

Don't type in the "$" (that's just the command-line prompt)... Sorry!

dgately

Yes, it seems to be 64 bit.
    new.jpg
    594 x 371 - 38K
    new.jpg 38.2K
    edited 2015-01-06 10:37
    'uname -a' will tell you if the kernel is actually running in 32 or 64 bit mode. 10.6.8 defaulted to 32 bit on boot-up, except for the very latest CPUs at the time 10.6.8 was released. On 10.6.8, you can actually boot into 64 or 32 bit kernel modes by holding down either the 3 & 2 keys (for 32 bit) or the 6 & 4 keys (for 64 bit) during boot-up, as far as I remember. Please check that the kernel is also in 64 bit mode and re-try if it was not.
    Should look something like this for a 64 bit kernel (from my 10.10.2 system)...

$ uname -a
    Darwin myCPU.local 14.0.0 Darwin Kernel Version 14.0.0: Fri Sep 19 00:26:44 PDT 2014; root:xnu-2782.1.97~2/RELEASE_[B]X86_64 x86_64[/B]

I don't have any Macs that can run less than 10.8.n at this time, else I would run the test as well. If you are not able to update your CPU to 10.8, maybe you could use an older development version of SimpleIDE (09.45 comes to mind) which did run on earlier Mac OS X versions... Not sure where one can obtain the older development versions, though :-|

dgately
    edited 2015-01-06 11:23
    'uname -a' will tell you if the kernel is actually running in 32 or 64 bit mode. 10.6.8 defaulted to 32 bit on boot-up, except for the very latest CPUs at the time 10.6.8 was released. On 10.6.8, you can actually boot into 64 or 32 bit kernel modes by holding down either the 3 & 2 keys (for 32 bit) or the 6 & 4 keys (for 64 bit) during boot-up, as far as I remember. Please check that the kernel is also in 64 bit mode and re-try if it was not.
    Should look something like this for a 64 bit kernel (from my 10.10.2 system)...

$ uname -a
    Darwin myCPU.local 14.0.0 Darwin Kernel Version 14.0.0: Fri Sep 19 00:26:44 PDT 2014; root:xnu-2782.1.97~2/RELEASE_[B]X86_64 x86_64[/B]

I don't have any Macs that can run less than 10.8.n at this time, else I would run the test as well. If you are not able to update your CPU to 10.8, maybe you could use an older development version of SimpleIDE (09.45 comes to mind) which did run on earlier Mac OS X versions... Not sure where one can obtain the older development versions, though :-|

dgately

Comes up not actually saying 64, or 32, but the about extensions sure shows it being 64.

new 2.jpg

about.jpg
    598 x 372 - 45K
    794 x 747 - 228K
    edited 2015-01-06 11:30
    Comes up not actually saying 64, or 32, but the about extensions sure shows it being 64.

new 2.jpg

This shows that your kernel is running in 32 bit mode (i.e. "i386" and NOT "_X86_64 x86_64" as in my example above.)... So, try to restart holding down the 6 & 4 keys to see if that changes the result of "name -a".

If it then reports "_X86_64 x86_64", try to run SimpleIDE again in that mode.

dgately
    edited 2015-01-06 12:10

new 2.jpg

This shows that your kernel is running in 32 bit mode (i.e. "i386" and NOT "_X86_64 x86_64" as in my example above.)... So, try to restart holding down the 6 & 4 keys to see if that changes the result of "name -a".

If it then reports "_X86_64 x86_64", try to run SimpleIDE again in that mode.

dgately
    Same thing. Did you see the next image from the about this system. it shows a 64 bit.