Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Cheapest Windows Based Propeller Dev Platform found at Office Max - Page 2 — Parallax Forums

Cheapest Windows Based Propeller Dev Platform found at Office Max

Comments

• David BetzDavid Betz Posts: 14,511
    edited 2014-12-02 17:42
    Has anyone tried the HP Stream 11 laptop?
  • RS_JimRS_Jim Posts: 1,751
    edited 2014-12-06 08:34
    Has any one tried the stream 7 with a powered USB hub to expand io capability?
    Jim
  • frank freedmanfrank freedman Posts: 1,974
    edited 2014-12-07 12:54
    Yes, that was one of my "keeper" requirements. It had to be able to use a portable blu-ray and other devices together. It did this with a POWERED USB hub. The stream does not appear to be able to drive the blu-ray by itself, start/restart cycle continuously.

Short answer, works with powered USB hub.

FF
    RS_Jim wrote: »
    Has any one tried the stream 7 with a powered USB hub to expand io capability?
    Jim
  • RS_JimRS_Jim Posts: 1,751
    edited 2014-12-07 16:24
    Thanks,
    I will put one on my wish list.
    Jim
  • DavidZemonDavidZemon Posts: 2,973
    edited 2014-12-08 15:49
    Woohoo! I'm jumping on this bandwagon :) I just sold my nexus 7 for $100 and bought a Stream 7 for $99 :D posting from my Stream 7 now and loving it!
  • localrogerlocalroger Posts: 3,451
    edited 2014-12-09 20:12
    There are now several dedicated folios with integrated Bluetooth keyboards the same size as the Stream 7, one I just took delivery of and a couple more shipping soon from Amazon. With a stylus instead of a bluetooth mouse this makes an incredibly compact platform capable of doing full PC work in a pinch.
  • DavidZemonDavidZemon Posts: 2,973
    edited 2014-12-09 21:05
    localroger wrote: »
    There are now several dedicated folios with integrated Bluetooth keyboards the same size as the Stream 7, one I just took delivery of and a couple more shipping soon from Amazon. With a stylus instead of a bluetooth mouse this makes an incredibly compact platform capable of doing full PC work in a pinch.

I'm not sure if you've actually used that tiny keyboard yet. I had one for my Nexus 7 and immediately returned it. It was just too small to be usable - even in a pinch. Fat fingers maybe? I hope you have better luck.
    As for the stylus... combined with the nice hand-writing tool built-in, I could see that being very useful!!! I might need to try one again.
  • frank freedmanfrank freedman Posts: 1,974
    edited 2014-12-11 04:10
    localroger wrote: »

Actually my Stream 7 is now the backup device. I have found after almost two years on the surface pro that I need the stylus and writing capability. Has to be able to work as a quickly accessible note pad. One note does that for me. The office 2013 from the stream is now on the surface.

The 8" tablet that is my number one work/field device is now the VivoTab Note 8. Bit pricier, tablet, keyboard, case, 2yr protection on amazon, think it was about $415 USD. Came with office 2013 personal so I need to move my full outlook (originally bought for the surface pro) over to it (not part of office personal I guess, and the win 8 (metro?) mail just plain sucks. Few more kinks to work out on the VT8 and the pro will stay home mostly. I get the impression from the product release (?) date on amazon that this has been out for 8 months or so. Can't find it locally in stores. Nor any stylus using device for that matter other than the surface. Boss wants the same note capability.

The VT8 will work like the stream with an OTG cable to handle USB devices. I will recommend that you look into powered OTG cables as the VT8 will not be able to drive say a CD/DVD/Bluray device by itself. I use a powered USB 3.0 adapter with 4 ports. Have ha no trouble with network, serial, adapters or USB droves. It works with the Prop boards as well. I had mentioned using a repurposed BBPB keyboard with the 7, but that had a few keys difference that made it a bit of an annoyance to use. While the VT8 is not as snappy as my surface pro, it is much lighter, and (barely) fits in my front pockets.
  • PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2014-12-12 08:58
    I have been playing with my new Stream 7 for the last two days, and I like it!

Just received this little jewel today:

http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/831925/Verbatim-Store-n-Go-Nano-USB/

Still on sale.

Loaded Propeller Tool, BS2 Tool, and SX Tool to Stream 7 from the device. 32GB is a nice number to have in reserve.
  • EE351EE351 Posts: 81
    edited 2014-12-12 18:48
    I don't know how good this one is, but it sure is cheap for a windows based tablet ($60 with free shipping):

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834757020&nm_mc=AFC-dealnews&cm_mmc=AFC-dealnews-_-NA-_-NA-_-N82E16834757020
  • jmgjmg Posts: 15,140
    edited 2014-12-12 19:42
    See post #22 for comparison.
    edited 2014-12-13 07:46
    I might add from Post #40, that the 32GB Mini Thumb Drive pulls out of the adapter and can be plugged into a standard USB port on a PC/MAC to load data.

This leaves the adapter to be used with a standard USB cable to be an OTG cable.

Two-for the price of one.
    edited 2014-12-14 07:53
  • localrogerlocalroger Posts: 3,451
    edited 2014-12-16 12:55
    I'm not sure if you've actually used that tiny keyboard yet. I had one for my Nexus 7 and immediately returned it. It was just too small to be usable - even in a pinch. Fat fingers maybe? I hope you have better luck.
    As for the stylus... combined with the nice hand-writing tool built-in, I could see that being very useful!!! I might need to try one again.

Yes the mini folio keyboard is mainly for things like entering search terms on the Win 8 Modern screen (where there's no way to pop up the software keyboard) and entering ctrl+alt+del. But I am typing this into my Stream 7 with the Microsoft Bluetooth keyboard, and it works about as well as my full-size netbook.
    edited 2014-12-17 10:37
    I ordered one of these, I couldn't resist for $50.

http://dealnews.com/b5417/iView/
    edited 2014-12-17 10:45
    EE351 wrote: »
    I ordered one of these, I couldn't resist for $50.

http://dealnews.com/b5417/iView/

See Post #22.
    edited 2014-12-17 11:03
    Publison wrote: »
    See Post #22.
    Ok, I realize the specs aren't as good as the hp stream, but given the price is half I'm willing to take that risk. I'll report my findings after it arrives.
    edited 2014-12-17 11:12
    Please do tell us how it works. I just mentioned the one in post #44, I guess it was was on sale for one day at $79.99., which have been close to your price.
    edited 2014-12-18 12:48
    Stream 7,

Anybody figure out how to switch between front and rear cameras? Before I put in the PIN option to sign in, I had the option. Now I don't\\
  • Ron CzapalaRon Czapala Posts: 2,418
    edited 2014-12-19 08:40
    Any recommendations on a OTG cable? There are tons of them on eBay but a lot refer to compatible devices - is compatibility really an issue here?
    edited 2014-12-19 08:48
    Ron,

I have this one on order, (should be here today).

http://www.staples.com/Startechcom-5-inch-Micro-USB-to-USB-OTG-Host-Adapter-Black/product_IM1QV8863

I think I paid ~$6.00 Ship-To-Store.

I like this item:

A 32GB drive, (standard USB plugin), plus a OTG to standard USB cable converter.

Works a treat. (see previous posts).
    edited 2014-12-19 08:56
    Ron,

I have this one on order, (should be here today).

http://www.staples.com/Startechcom-5-inch-Micro-USB-to-USB-OTG-Host-Adapter-Black/product_IM1QV8863

I think I paid ~$6.00 Ship-To-Store.

I like this item:

A 32GB drive, (standard USB plugin), plus a OTG to standard USB cable converter.

Works a treat. (see previous posts).

I found the StarTech one here http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-5in-Micro-Host-Adapter/dp/B00B4GGW5Q/ref=lh_ni_t?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3LGJ9ZB5RSN9T
    edited 2014-12-19 15:41
    I just bought my HP Stream 7 tablet this morning but I am really pleased (although I've got a learning curve with Windows 8.1).

I wrote a home inventory system using VB6 many years ago that I use alot. It uses an MS Access relational database and some 3rd party controls.
    I created an install .msi file for it on my XP computer and installed it on the tablet and it works fine - probably because the tablet OS is 32-bit.

I also had an expensive Microsoft Entertainment Desktop 7000 bluetooth keyboard and laser mouse that I bought in 2008 which paired up fine with the tablet.
    I almost threw it away because I didn't really care for it as a desktop keyboard - glad I kept it now.

Trying to resize columns on listview controls (like in regedit and task manager, etc) with your finger on a touchscreen is torture!! The mouse saved me.

So far, so good!
    edited 2014-12-20 15:53

I just got my Stream 7 that I ordered during the $79.99 sale. It seems quite nice so far. One question I have though has to do with the micro SD card. The little pamphlet that came with the S7 says you should power off the unit and remove the USB cable before inserting the SD card. Is this really necessary? It seems odd that it can't handle hotplugging an SD card.
    edited 2014-12-20 16:33
    David Betz wrote: »
    I just got my Stream 7 that I ordered during the $79.99 sale. It seems quite nice so far. One question I have though has to do with the micro SD card. The little pamphlet that came with the S7 says you should power off the unit and remove the USB cable before inserting the SD card. Is this really necessary? It seems odd that it can't handle hotplugging an SD card.

Don't know, but better safe than sorry. They obviously don't want you swapping SD cards frequently since you have to remove the back to insert the card.
    edited 2014-12-20 18:20
    Don't know, but better safe than sorry. They obviously don't want you swapping SD cards frequently since you have to remove the back to insert the card.
    Ah, that makes sense. I didn't realized that the SD card slot was internal. I guess I haven't looked over my tablet very closely yet! :-)
  • User NameUser Name Posts: 1,451
    edited 2014-12-20 22:29
    Here's to hoping that another $79 (or better) sale on the Stream 7 comes along in the next week or two. I don't know if HP sells factory refurbs, but there are some great values to be had that way. I hate to pay full retail on anything except perhaps speed skates.
    edited 2014-12-21 04:09
    User Name wrote: »
    Here's to hoping that another $79 (or better) sale on the Stream 7 comes along in the next week or two. I don't know if HP sells factory refurbs, but there are some great values to be had that way. I hate to pay full retail on anything except perhaps speed skates.
    I wouldn't be surprised if it was on sale for $59 after Christmas if they have any left. Has the Stream 7 been discontinued? I see there is now a Stream 8.
    edited 2014-12-21 05:59
    I wouldn't be surprised if it was on sale for $59 after Christmas if they have any left. Has the Stream 7 been discontinued? I see there is now a Stream 8.

According to CNET, both were introduced in September along with some notebook models http://www.cnet.com/products/hp-stream/

I got mine at Office Depot for $95 - missed the $79 sale price. Most local Office Depots are sold out.
    edited 2014-12-21 06:01

The Stream 7 is still alive and well. Available at HP, Office Depot, Amazon, Microsoft....