Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
MicroMite Companion: A new Propeller board in production.. — Parallax Forums

MicroMite Companion: A new Propeller board in production..

Oldbitcollector (Jeff)Oldbitcollector (Jeff) Posts: 8,091
edited 2014-12-12 19:45 in Propeller 1
Karl and I have been working on another Propeller project, which will soon become hardware reality.

The MicroMite Companion MMC

The board uses both the Propeller and the Micromite in concert providing a self-contained, MMBASIC enviroment. Full support has been maintained for the Propeller side, allowing reprogramming, and access to it's open I/O pins. In addition the Micromite's I/O is open as well. The software combines the strenghts of the two chips is a way to provide a stand-alone user experience that is exicting for the retro computer enthusist, the Propellerhead, or a beginner to intermediate microcontroller user.

You might say I'm pretty excited to see this move from prototype to production soon. (Expected in stock mid-August)

MMC.jpeg

Edit: Added from an additional post to explain the MicroMite Companion;

The hardware for this board is configured as follows:

* The Propeller handles Keyboard input, audio output, SD, and VGA (64/256 color selectable) output.
* The remaining, open Propeller I/O is accessable from connection points near the breadboard.
* The Wii and IR interfaces have default connections to the Micromite, but can be hardware selected to the Propeller using shunt jumpers.
* The remaining, open Micromite I/O is accessable from connection points near the breadboard.
* Propplug compatible connections are provided for direct connection to both the Micromite and the Propeller.

The software is configured as follows:

* Initially, the Propeller acts as a VT100 terminal for the Micromite on from it's console pins.
* Additionally, there are two more interconnections between the Micromite's I2C pins and the Propeller, with the Propeller acting as an I2C slave.
* The Micromite contains an onboard programming EDITOR and 22K of MMBASIC programming space.
* Files can be saved and loaded between the onboard EDITOR and SD using built-in Xmodem communication which happens between the Propeller and the Micromite.
* Because the Propeller has the ability to kickstart new binaries from the SD, we can launch additional video/audio modes, and/or start other Propeller programs.
* MMBASIC provides support for older BASIC programs as well as digital I/O support including SPI, I2C, Onewire, and two additional serial connections.
* MMBASIC also provides support for SERVOS, ADC, LCD, and RTC.
MMC.jpeg 102.3K

Comments

• PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2014-07-24 11:16
    Nice one Jeff!
  • User NameUser Name Posts: 1,451
    edited 2014-07-24 11:29
    Jeff,

Will you be populating the Micromite? I ask only because the shipping on a chip is more than the chip. It might be an opportunity for you to earn a few extra shekels and save your customers a few shekels, too.

BTW, I've really loved this combo (Micromite & Prop) ever since Rick explained how we could leverage the MMBASIC editor. I wish you success!
  • Oldbitcollector (Jeff)Oldbitcollector (Jeff) Posts: 8,091
    edited 2014-07-24 11:48
    Yes, I have permission from the author of the Micromite to distribute and include the needed chip.

Jeff
  • TrapperBobTrapperBob Posts: 139
    edited 2014-07-24 11:52
    Sign me up for a couple! Looks great.
  • David BetzDavid Betz Posts: 14,511
    edited 2014-07-24 12:10
    Looks like yet another of your boards that I need to build! Nice job!
    edited 2014-07-26 17:41
    Just got an email from production... Boards are on their way.

We'll do two different kits for these in this first run. With and without the Micromite since several have already purchased the chip to prototype from CircuitGizmos.

The software side of this project is really starting to take some interesting turns as well.
    edited 2014-07-26 20:14
    Nice to have the option to buy everything except the Micromite. I bought a couple already to play with and could use one for this board. Thanks for offering that option.
  • NWCCTVNWCCTV Posts: 3,629
    edited 2014-07-26 23:35
    Please explain what the capabilities of this board are.
    edited 2014-07-27 08:51
    NWCCTV wrote: »
    Please explain what the capabilities of this board are.

* The Propeller handles Keyboard input, audio output, SD, and VGA (64/256 color selectable) output.
    * The remaining, open Propeller I/O is accessable from connection points near the breadboard.
    * The Wii and IR interfaces have default connections to the Micromite, but can be hardware selected to the Propeller using shunt jumpers.
    * The remaining, open Micromite I/O is accessable from connection points near the breadboard.
    * Propplug compatible connections are provided for direct connection to both the Micromite and the Propeller.

* Initially, the Propeller acts as a VT100 terminal for the Micromite on from it's console pins.
    * Additionally, there are two more interconnections between the Micromite's I2C pins and the Propeller, with the Propeller acting as an I2C slave.
    * The Micromite contains an onboard programming EDITOR and 22K of MMBASIC programming space.
    * Files can be saved and loaded between the onboard EDITOR and SD using built-in Xmodem communication which happens between the Propeller and the Micromite.
    * Because the Propeller has the ability to kickstart new binaries from the SD, we can launch additional video/audio modes, and/or start other Propeller programs.
    * MMBASIC provides support for older BASIC programs as well as digital I/O support including SPI, I2C, Onewire, and two additional serial connections.

The software for this combination can be found here.

Does this help? :)

Jeff
    edited 2014-07-27 09:53
    I hadn't noticed this before but it looks like you removed the sockets for the flash and SRAM chips that were in your Propeller Experimenter's Board. I guess the space was needed for the Micromite chip?
    edited 2014-07-28 12:14
    yes, the sockets for the FLASH ram and the SRAM were removed to create the required space in the footprint.

I wanted a full-sized SD card on this unit to make it easier for a beginner (and us blind, old guys) to be able to solder.

The SRAM really isn't required, as the Micromite gives us plenty of variable space we didn't have before. The FLASH is replicated by the SD.
    edited 2014-07-28 12:34
    yes, the sockets for the FLASH ram and the SRAM were removed to create the required space in the footprint.

I wanted a full-sized SD card on this unit to make it easier for a beginner (and us blind, old guys) to be able to solder.

The SRAM really isn't required, as the Micromite gives us plenty of variable space we didn't have before. The FLASH is replicated by the SD.
    Well, the flash chip was useful for those of us who might want to run largish PropGCC programs that don't fit in hub memory. While there is an SD card cache driver for PropGCC, its performance isn't very good because of the large page size of SD cards.
    edited 2014-07-28 12:52
    Worse case scenerio, we've got open Propeller I/O lines,etc and a breadboard area on this board.

The Micromite Companion is centered more around BASIC, while the PEB is centered more around the Propeller.
    That being said, there is a lot of overlap between the two board. :)
    edited 2014-07-28 12:56
    BTW, here's a quick video of the current video mode I'm working for this using the Propeller Gaming Engine.
    This product ISN'T exclusively designed to write video games, but it can certainly do them.

Sprite control is painless and fast.

[video=youtube_share;ohu3QUHVW_M]
  • mklrobomklrobo Posts: 420
    edited 2014-07-28 13:01

The software for this combination can be found here.

Does this help? :)

Jeff
    :cool: Sounds like a very versitile board. What target consumers do you have in mind, besides the robot enthusiasts? I have a project in mind, that could encorporate your
    board. What support could this offer in robotics, scientific, and industrial categories? & Parallax products add on - quadcopter, boe bot, etc.? :innocent:
    edited 2014-07-28 13:04
    :nerd: I can see this being used as a standalone console to control industrial equipment, or a remote console to
    fly a quadcopter. Is this in your scope?
    edited 2014-07-28 13:06
    your description mentions xmodem communication between the propeller and micromite. Can I use the xmodem library in the chips to
    communicate to other devices, such as an HP calc? (had to ask):innocent:
    edited 2014-07-28 13:33
    I'm not a quad-copter guy myself, but I can see this board being used in robotics very easily. The idea behind this board is to offer as much of both chips as possible in an easy-to-understand language (basic).

Yes, the Xmodem can be made to work with other devices. We have someone working on an Xmodem control for the PC side which should allow us to very easily upload and download files and programs to this board without having to pull the card.
    edited 2014-07-28 13:43
    Worse case scenerio, we've got open Propeller I/O lines,etc and a breadboard area on this board.

The Micromite Companion is centered more around BASIC, while the PEB is centered more around the Propeller.
    That being said, there is a lot of overlap between the two board. :)
    That makes sense for your intended application. I may just stick with the PEB with a Micromite plugged into its breadboard for what I'm going to do.
    edited 2014-08-10 14:39
    Another demo of the Sprite Mode running on the Propeller and a Propeller based Sprite Editor.

Animation_Demo.jpg
    796 x 535 - 38K
    edited 2014-08-10 14:45
    Is this board ready for purchase yet? I just ordered a PICkit 3 programmer so I'm ready to try writing some PIC32 code to talk to the Propeller! :-)

Edit: I just started watching your video and it sounds like this will be available in a few weeks. Sorry for not checking that first.
    edited 2014-08-10 15:07
    We expect to have kits for sale by expo time. I'll setup pre-orders next week.

Jeff
    edited 2014-08-11 18:19
    I've opened this run to pre-order. This kit is everything except the Micromite chip.

Thread here: http://propellerpowered.com/forum/index.php?topic=619.0
    Pre-order here: http://propellerpowered.com/shop/?page_id=1946

If the missing Micromite is a problem and you really want to get into this run, let me know. We'll get it worked out for you.

As of this post, there are four units left of this run.

Jeff
    edited 2014-08-17 14:51
    More work on mode "styles" this week as the PET characters are added to Retrotext and a new surprise style.
    edited 2014-08-20 21:23
    Just another quick video update.. Thanks to some help from Roadster, I've pushed this demo to 10 animated sprites easily controllable via I2C

Anyone else still playing with actual Propeller chips on this forum? :):):)
  • KeithEKeithE Posts: 957
    edited 2014-08-21 15:01
    You convinced me to order four of the micromites. The Sumobots are looking a little nervous ;-)
    edited 2014-08-22 13:06
    Hey Keith,

When you get your Micromites in, grab your Propeller and come join us with the Micromite Companion project. :)

http://propellerpowered.com/forum/index.php?topic=574.0
  • KeithEKeithE Posts: 957
    edited 2014-08-23 13:34
    Your stuff looks fun, but I'm quite busy right now. So small steps... Without having direct experience and relying on what you've shown, it would be neat if Parallax could find a way to turn these in a product or do something with similar capabilities. I guess there's a lot of material written for the Basic Stamps, so it could be a lot of work. Maybe they could crowd source documentation?
    edited 2014-08-25 15:51
    The pre order has been a huge success! Kitting is in process right now and I'll start shipping pre-order kits as soon as we get them serialized. :)

The pre order has helped us raise the funds required for a much larger PCB run, and I'll push that out this week as well. We should have plenty of MMC kits in stock for everyone within 2-3 weeks.

Thanks to all who have participated in this product launch!

Jeff
    edited 2014-08-25 16:57
    The pre order has been a huge success! Kitting is in process right now and I'll start shipping pre-order kits as soon as we get them serialized. :)

The pre order has helped us raise the funds required for a much larger PCB run, and I'll push that out this week as well. We should have plenty of MMC kits in stock for everyone within 2-3 weeks.

Thanks to all who have participated in this product launch!

Jeff
    No problem! It looks like a cool little board. Beyond just providing a platform for playing with the Micromite, it is the first Propeller board that mates a reasonably powerful standard processor with a Propeller. It should be good for all kinds of experiments. Andre' LaMothe's Chameleon boards did pair up the Propeller with another processor but it wasn't nearly as capable as the PIC32 used in your board. Thanks!