Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Updated 17seg LED driver for PPDB now available. — Parallax Forums

Updated 17seg LED driver for PPDB now available.

tonyp12tonyp12 Posts: 1,950
edited 2016-03-26 16:59 in Propeller 1
Video of it here:
default.jpg
http://youtu.be/LriHbhNR0TI
Data and Latch are extracted from the Clock, as the clk does not only go low/high but have different durations.
You control it from spin the same way as the first version.

A new 2nd updated version that uses no wires, hardwired to use P0.
Cost: $16.95 each ($2.95 s&h)

To order one:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=895CQGPYKCHTJ

Comments

• Q*bertQ*bert Posts: 59
    edited 2011-08-28 05:20
    Thanks Tony. I just sent you an order for two (Craig) but I forgot to say that I'd like both with female right angle headers.
  • tonyp12tonyp12 Posts: 1,950
    edited 2011-09-11 20:31
    *** New program available for this 1pin led driver. ***
    Attached is a real-time debugger of hub ram, real useful as to monitor 3 spin variables in real-time shown as Hex (00-FF)

16bit can be shown by pairing two, and a single 24bit would use all 6 digits.
    What to debug can be changed even after your program have started, just insert a new: hub1 := @xxxxx etc

In pasm to show cog ram you would insert a wrbyte at a debug point to write to the address pointed to by hub1-hub3.

I have enough pcb boards to make 50 more of these, so don't be shy with your orders (ships worldwide)

A stripped down verison of the pasm driver is used, maybe easier to follow what it does (open attached file)
    CON
            _clkmode = xtal1 + pll16x 'Standard clock mode * crystal frequency = 80 MHz
            _xinfreq = 5_000_000

var word mycnt                  'just an example
    var byte myina                  'just an example

OBJ LED    : "DebugLED17"       'important
    PUB DisplayDemo | hub1,hub2,hub3'important (=var long hub1,hub2...)
        LED.Display(@hub1,0{pin})   'important (send to spin part of driver)

'examples, spin is little-endian so by default you get the lower8 bits
    hub1 := @mycnt+1 'keep an eye on mycnt in realtime (upper 8 bits)
    hub2 := @mycnt   'keep an eye on mycnt in realtime (lower 8 bits)
    hub3 := @myina   'show the status of myina, unplug usb and you will see  

repeat
     waitcnt(clkfreq/16+cnt)
     mycnt := mycnt + 3
     myina := ina>>24 'get the upper 1/4 bank of pins.

• Brian RileyBrian Riley Posts: 626
    edited 2011-09-12 09:05
    Tony,

Nice work ... it will cleanup a mess of wires in that corner of my PPDB.

I am afraid I am in the same boat as Q'bert, I completed the order without specifying the headers. I will take mine plain, and I will do the soldering.

TNX
  • Don MDon M Posts: 1,647
    edited 2011-09-19 10:09
    Tony,

Received my board today. Nice work. Thanks!
  • Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2014-05-30 08:43
    I don't use my Propeller Professional Development Boards very often so I haven't used these 17 segment boards much.

Yesterday, I started a project using the PPDB's L293D motor driver and I thought it would be a good chance to use the board's LED display.

The demo code worked fine but when I went to add the display code to my motor control code, the display only displayed "9B" in the first two characters with a few quickly flashing segments on some of the other characters.

The problem turned out to the passing of a byte address to the LED object. With my other code included the buffer "textBuffer" was no longer long aligned. Since this address is what gets passed to the PASM section with par, the address ends up being off by a few bytes when it's not long aligned.

There's an easy fix to this. Just add the word "long" before the buffer to force it to be long aligned.
    DAT
                   [B]long[/B]
    textBuffer    byte "_-_-_-",0,0 '8 byte buffer but can be initial text.
    text1         byte "{[HI]}",0   'can be 1-6 letters in lenght in Uppercase/0-9
    text2         byte "126.4",27,"C",0
    text3         byte "      HELLO THERE THIS IS A TEST      ",0

This same problem is present in the 3-pin version of the code.

I'll be making a similar post in the 3-pin version thread. The there pin version also has some issues with the way the I/O pins are set in PASM.
    edited 2014-05-30 09:36
    I will make some updates to the driver someday, maybe reading the text as bytes and start with right most letter first as it then may be easier to merge in the dot ( decimal point) segment
  • MrBi11MrBi11 Posts: 117
    edited 2014-06-08 13:34
    Just got my board, thank you, now I need to try it out..
  • MrBi11MrBi11 Posts: 117
    edited 2014-06-09 21:19
    I think I'll be using this for debuging stuff quite a bit, nice setup.
    edited 2014-06-16 19:38
    I have created a Decimal (0-999999) DEBUGGER of a hub variable.
    I cleaned up the driver too, digit interval is now a fixed 2mS for the multiplexing.
    That way I don't have to worry that some bits take 1uS and some take 15uS but now still get even glow on all LED digits as with multiplexing that is important
    It also have overflow error and show all E's if value is above the 6 digits decimal can show.
                  org  0

asm_entry     mov       dira,clkpin                     'make only clk pin an output
                  mov       outa,clkpin                     'set all pins in this cog to low but CLKpin high               
                  mov       digitdelay,delay2ms              
                  add       digitdelay,cnt                  'copy cnt digitdelay

main          mov       digit,#6                        'we have 6 digits to multiplex
                  mov       sink, #1                        'reset mosfet-to-sink pointer
                  movs      decimal,#table                  'start at 100'000
                  rdlong    myvalue,PAR                     'get var from hub address  
                  cmp       maxvalue,myvalue wc             'over max value?
            if_c  mov       myvalue,#0                      'clear it so decimal loop don't take to long
                  muxc      error,#1                        'set or clear bit0 as error overflow flag

loop1         waitcnt   digitdelay,delay2ms             '2 ms  
                  movs      fontpnt,#font                   'start at "0"       
    decimal       cmpsub    myvalue,0-0 wc                  'try 100'000 first
            if_c  add       fontpnt,#1
            if_c  jmp       #decimal            
                  mov       bit_test,bit23                  'reset bit mask so bit 23 is only set
    fontpnt       mov       serial,0-0                      'start a new serial data
                  test      error,#1 wz                     'error overflow set?
            if_nz mov       serial,fontE                    'replace with letter E          
                  or        serial,sink                     'fuse in the transistor sink bit
                                                            'inner loop starts here, send 23 clk pulses plus a long latch
    loop2         test      serial,bit_test wz              'test serial data bitwize, set z                                
            if_nz mov       cnt,delay1                      'a quick clk, move 1uS to Shadow Cnt.
            if_z  mov       cnt,delay15                     'a long clk (15uS), let SER dip low
                  add       cnt,cnt                         'add current cnt to shadow cnt. 
                  andn      outa,clkpin                     'set pin low 
                  waitcnt   cnt,delay30                     'wait 1uS or 15uS , add 30us to cnt when done.
                  or        outa,clkpin                     'set pin high   
                  waitcnt   cnt,#0                          'wait 30uS , add 0 us to cnt when done.               
                  shr       bit_test,#1 wz                  'shift right
            if_nz jmp       #loop2                          'if not zero, jmp 

mov       cnt,delay200                    'prepare a 200us delay to letting Latch go low. 
                  add       cnt, cnt                        'add cnt to shadow cnt
                  andn      outa,clkpin                     'set pin low
                  waitcnt   cnt,#0 
                  or        outa,clkpin                     'set pin high
                  shl       sink,#4                         'next digit
                  add       decimal,#1                      'try 10'000 next    
                  djnz      digit, #loop1                   'have we done 6 digits?
                  jmp       #main                           'restart

font          long      A1+A2+B+C+D1+D2+E+F+J+M         '0
                  long      B+C                             '1
                  long      A1+A2+B+D1+D2+E+G1+G2           '2
                  long      A1+A2+B+C+D1+D2+G2              '3
                  long      B+C+F+G1+G2                     '4
                  long      A1+A2+D1+D2+F+G1+K              '5
                  long      A1+A2+C+D1+D2+E+F+G1+G2         '6
                  long      A1+A2+B+C                       '7
                  long      A1+A2+B+C+D1+D2+E+F+G1+G2       '8
                  long      A1+A2+B+C+D1+D2+F+G1+G2         '9
    fontE         long      A1+A2+D1+D2+E+F+G1+G2           'E 
    bit23         long      |<23                            'same as %1<<23,  serial bits to shift out
    delay1        long      80                              '1us  (80 MHz) 
    delay15       long      80*15                           '15us (80 MHz)
    delay30       long      80*30                           '30us (80 MHz) 
    delay200      long      80*200                          '200us (80 MHz)
    delay2ms      long      80*1000*2                       '2ms (80 Mhz)
    clkpin        long      Pin                             'value from constant above
    maxvalue      long      999999
    table         long      100_000, 10_000, 1_000, 100, 10, 1
    digitdelay    res       1  
    sink          res       1                               'what transistor to sink
    myvalue       res       1
    error         res       1
    bit_test      res       1
    serial        res       1
    digit         res       1

• Francis BauerFrancis Bauer Posts: 353
    edited 2014-12-07 10:14
    Just got my LED driver board and it works great with both the original demo and debug demo code on my new PPDB. Thank you for creating the LED driver board/software and also the "freebie" that came with my order. Parallax still has a bunch of new Rev. B PPDBs for sale for $89.99, get one for Christmas...
  • PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2014-12-07 11:36
    Thanks for reminding me of this great item.

Just ordered one.
    edited 2014-12-17 09:20
    Tony,

Do you get PM's?

I received my board, (and thanks for the freebie), and I have a problem.

I installed it on my PPBB and downloaded the demo code. It did not do anything for 30 seconds. I then smelt the magic smoke wanting to come out of some component. Pulled the plug to investigate.

It looks like two of the shift registers where installed backwards. I would have send a picture, but the PM software does not allow it.
    800 x 600 - 320K
    edited 2014-12-17 11:00
    yes I replied to your pm, I guess it not go thru
    I will send you another one, weird that I did not see that the two IC to the right are wrong.

Hint to others: it uses 3.3v on + as Props 3.3v output will not work if the IC are on 5v (below the 70% cmos standard)
    edited 2014-12-17 11:16
    tonyp12 wrote: »
    yes I replied to your pm, I guess it not go thru
    I will send you another one, weird that I did not see that the two IC to the right are wrong.

Hint to others: it uses 3.3v on + as Props 3.3v output will not work if the IC are on 5v (below the 70% cmos standard)
    Thanks Tony. My mailbox may have been full at the time.

Jim
    edited 2014-12-26 09:30
    Tony, got the replacement. Works great! Thanks.
    edited 2015-02-20 18:42
    A 2nd updated version is now available.

Now with no wires and works with both 3.3V and 5V
    It have two pairs of holes so you can still use the power rail underneath with jumper wires.
    attachment.php?attachmentid=113243&d=1424486387
    17SEGv3.jpg?psid=1

HINT: monitoring values in pasm have always been a little harder, as you probably already have PAR/mailbox setup that you don't want to mess with.

LED17.Display ($7FFC) 'start debug_decimal_driver with a brute address (should be safe most of the time)
    wrlong myvalue, _x7FFC 'pasm debug without using par offset
    320 x 115 - 20K
  • twm47099twm47099 Posts: 867
    edited 2015-02-21 09:34
    Tony,
    How would I purchase one?

Can you supply a populated board? If so how much would that cost?

If not is there a BOM for the needed parts, and where could I get the schematic / assembly instructions?

Thanks for your help

Tom
    edited 2015-02-21 09:40
    The top post have the paypal link, it's fully populated just plug it in and use the software examples in this thread.
    edited 2015-02-21 14:23
    tonyp12 wrote: »
    The top post have the paypal link, it's fully populated just plug it in and use the software examples in this thread.

Tony,
    Thanks; order placed.

Tom
  • NWCCTVNWCCTV Posts: 3,629
    edited 2015-02-21 18:46
    Awesome. Just ordered one also!!
    edited 2015-03-09 11:25
    First, I want to thank Tony for his board and Spin/PASM code. It works great.

I modified his PASM driver so that it could be used with SimpleIDE C programs, and wrote a couple of simple functions for it: Start, Test, and Clear. They along with a demo (main in the C program) are listed below along with the modified Spin/PASM code.

My intent is to build on this to add other C functions to be able to display general text and numerical results. Once I've done that, I want to make a library (libLED17) that can be included in any C program. That will take a while for me to do that, so I wanted to get my initial work on the forum.

The biggest issue was that I could not figure out a way to use Tony's constants from the Spin program (A1, A2, B, C, etc) to be used to calculate the values for all of the characters in the PASM. So I ended up calculating them and hard coding the values for all the longs in the PASM. A little bit of work, but it was successful. I also just set the PASM to use pin 0 since that's the pin the board connects to. I used Tony's format (CLKpin long 1<<0), but I assume that (CLKpin long 1) would have worked. I also did not change the hard coding for 80MHz that Tony used.

To use this, Copy the attached Spin file to the SimpleIDE directory you want. I used My projects/LED17. Make it easy to find since you will add the file to the project.

Then open SimpleIDE, select newproject and name it LED17.
    Then delete all of the new project code that is entered into the editing window and copy the C code listed below into that window.
    Then click on Project at the top of the screen and select Open Tab to Project. Set file types to Spin, and click on LED17v2x.spin. That code should open in the editing window in its own tab.

At that point you can save the file (to the LED17 folder). Then click on the load-ram-and-run button (after making sure the PPDB is connected and powered on and that its port shows up in the upper right hand corner window.) That will load the project to ram and it should display READY on the LEDs for about 1 second, then cycle through the characters, and finally clear the LEDs. Note that the code for test does cycle through lower case letters, but they will display as upper case.

I am relatively new to both C and Spin/PASM programming. Some of my coding is awkward. Any suggestions are gratefully accepted.

Tom

LED17v2x.spin

The C main and functions:
    /*
    led17.c  -- C functions for 17 segment LED on PPDB using Tonyp12 plug in driver board
    T Montemarano 

test harness for the libled17.c library
    */
    #include "simpletools.h"                      // Library includes
    // #include "led17.h"                 // for future use 

char textbuffer[] = {'R','E','A','D','Y',' ',0,0};
    int *cogled17;      //  pointer to cog ID

// function prototypes
    void led17_start(char *text);
    void led17_test();
    void led17_clear();

int main()                                    // Main function
    {   
    // Put demo code here

led17_start(textbuffer);
    pause(1000);
    led17_test();
    led17_clear();
    }

// functions
    void led17_start(char *text)  // Starts PASM driver and displays "READY" on PPDB 17 segment LEDs
    {
     extern int binary_LED17v2x_dat_start[];
     cogled17 = 1 + cognew((void*)binary_LED17v2x_dat_start, text);
    }

void led17_test()       //  Displays all characters on the PPDB 17 Segment LEDs
    {
     char text4[] = {0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0}; 
     for(int q =24; q<=120; q+=6)
     {
      for (int qq = 0; qq<=5; qq++) { text4[qq] = q + qq; }
      for (int qq = 0; qq<=7; qq++) { textbuffer[qq] = text4[qq]; }
      pause(2000);
     }    
    }

void led17_clear()      // Clears 17 segment LED display -- displays all <spaces>
    {
     for (int qq = 0; qq<=7; qq++) { textbuffer[qq] = text4[qq]; }
     pause(100);
    }

The spin/PASM code:
    {{
    * LED17v2x.spin
    *  modified from the original byTom Montemarano for use with C functions
    * Original code:
    * LED driver v2.00   (1wire version)              *
    * NEEDS DEMO to run, always compile from Demo tab *
    * Author: Tony Philipsson                         *
    * Copyright 2011 Electrons Engineering            *
    }}

PUB Display (text)
        cognew(@asm_entry, text)   'launch assembly program in a COG    

DAT
                  org  0

asm_entry     mov       dira,CLKpin                     'make only clk pin an output
                  mov       outa,CLKpin                     'set all pins in this cog to low but CLKpin high
    main          mov       digit,#6                        'we have 6 digits to multiplex
                  mov       buffer,par                      'reset buffer (par=hub address of first letter)
                  rdlong    mytext,buffer
                  add       buffer,#4
                  mov       byteshft,#$0                    'reset the text byte pointer.
                  rdlong    mytext+1,buffer            
                  movs      loop1,#mytext                   'reset my textpointer 
                  movs      testdot,#mytext
                  mov       sink, #1                        'reset transistor sink 

loop1         mov       mychar,0-0 wz                   'get ascII char, self mod code
                  shr       mychar,byteshft
                  and       mychar,#$FF wz
            if_z  mov       mychar,#32                      'if zero make it a space char(32).
            if_nz add       byteshft,#8                     'if not a zero, prepare next char for next tim          
                  cmp       byteshft,#32 wz                 '4 bytes in a long
            if_z  add       loop1,#1
            if_z  add       testdot,#1
            if_z  mov       byteshft,#0        
                  cmp       mychar,#123 wc                  'check if it's char({) or higher
            if_nc add       mychar,#6                       'adjust for the sub 32 below
                  cmp       mychar,#97 wc                   'check if it's char(a) or higher       
            if_nc sub       mychar,#32                      'our font table have a-z omitted.                       '                       
                  sub       mychar,#24                      'subtract as our ascii table start at char(24)

movs      fontpnt,#font                   'reset font pointer
                  add       fontpnt,mychar                  'add ascii code that mytext have, to font pointer
                  mov       bit_test,#1                     'reset bit mask
                  shl       bit_test,#23                    'we have 23 bits to shift out
    fontpnt       mov       serial,0-0                      'start a new serial data       
                  or        serial,sink                     'fuse in the transistor sink bit
    testdot       mov       mychar,0-0 wz                   'get ascII char, self mod code
                  shr       mychar,byteshft
                  and       mychar,#$FF
                  cmp       mychar,#46 wz                   'test if the next char is a dot
            if_z  or        serial,mydot
            if_z  add       byteshft,#8                     'skip this char next time                                     
                  cmp       byteshft,#32 wz
            if_z  add       loop1,#1
            if_z  add       testdot,#1
            if_z  mov       byteshft,#0

'inner loop starts here, send 23 clk pulses plus a long latch
    loop2         test      serial,bit_test wz              'test serial data bitwize, set z
                  andn      outa,CLKpin                     'set pin low
                  mov       cnt,cnt                         'copy current cnt to shadow_cnt
            if_nz add       cnt,#80                         'a quick clk, keep SER high
            if_z  add       cnt,delay15                     'a long clk, let SER dip low
            if_nz waitcnt   cnt, delay15                    'wait 80 ticks, add 15us to cnt when done.
            if_z  waitcnt   cnt, delay30                    'wait 15us, add 30ms to cnt when done
                  or        outa,CLKpin                     'set pin high 
                  waitcnt   cnt, #0                         'wait the 15us or 30us set above
                  shr       bit_test,#1 wz                  'shift right
            if_nz jmp       #loop2                          'if not zero, jmp 

andn      outa,CLKpin                     'set pin low          
                  mov       cnt, cnt                        'copy cnt to shadow cnt
                  add       cnt, delay200                   'prepare a 200us delay, letting Latch go low.
                  waitcnt   cnt, delay300                   'wait 200us, add 300us to cnt when done. 
                  or        outa,CLKpin                     'set pin high. Add any of YOUR CODE between this....
                  waitcnt   cnt, #0                         'and this line, change delay300 up to max 1800 if needed.
                  shl       sink,#4                         'next digit
                  djnz      digit, #loop1                   'have we done 6 digits?

jmp       #main                           'restart

font         long      $24A0C4              'Pund , start our font at Char(24)
                  long      $24C800                'Yen
                  long      $24A6C6                'Euro
                  long      $202402                'degrees
                  long      $4E00                   '
                  long      $24A0C0                '
                  long      $E2000                  ' arrow up 
                  long      $46800                  ' Arrow down
                  long      $0                         ' Space 
                  long      $28                       '!
                  long      $2400                    ' "
                  long      $2EEEEE                 '# (all 16 on)
                  long      $24A4E6                 '$
                  long      $2CE462                 '%
                  long      $C60E4                  '&
                  long      $4000                    ''
                  long      $24000                   '(
                  long      $80800                   ')
                  long      $2EE800                 '*
                  long      $24A000                 '+
                  long      $80000                   ',
                  long      $208000                 '-
                  long      $400000                 '.
                  long      $84000                   '/
                  long      $846EE                   '0
                  long      $28                        '1
                  long      $2082CE                 '2
                  long      $80EE                     '3
                  long      $208428                  '4
                  long      $2204C6                  '5
                  long      $2086E6                  '6
                  long      $2E                         '7
                  long      $2086EE                  '8
                  long      $2084EE                  '9
                  long      $42000                    ':
                  long      $82000                    ';
                  long      $24000                    '<
                  long      $2080C0                  '=
                  long      $80800                    '>     
                  long      $4800C                    '?
                  long      $A6CE                      '@
                  long      $20862E                   'A
                  long      $4A0EE                    'B
                  long      $6C6                       'C
                  long      $420EE                     'D
                  long      $2086C6                    'E
                  long      $200606                    'F
                  long      $86E6                      'G
                  long      $208628                   'H
                  long      $42000                     'I
                  long      $2E8                        'J
                  long      $224600                   'K
                  long      $6C0                        'L
                  long      $4E28                       'M
                  long      $20E28                     'N
                  long      $6EE                        'O
                  long      $20860E                   'P
                  long      $206EE                     'Q
                  long      $22860E                   'R
                  long      $2084E6                   'S
                  long      $42006                     'T
                  long      $6E8                        'U
                  long      $84600                     'V
                  long      $A0628                     'W
                  long      $A4800                     'X
                  long      $44800                     'Y
                  long      $840C6                     'Z
                  long      $42044                     '[
                  long      $20800                     '\
                  long      $42082                     ']
                  long      $8400C                     '^
                  long      $C0                          '_
                  long      $800                         '`
                  long      $242044                    '{
                  long      $42000                      '|
                  long      $4A082                      '}
                  long      $208208                 '~
                  long      $486EE                   'CR

CLKpin        long      1<<0       '<<CLK  hard coded for tonyp12 PPDB 17Led plugin board --  P0
    delay15       long      80*15                           'hardcoded for 80mhz prop
    delay30       long      80*30                           'will read hub $0 in next version.
    delay200      long      80*200
    delay300      long      80*300
    mydot         long      $400000
    sink          res       1                               'what transistor to sink
    mytext        res       2                               'reserve 8 bytes (2 longs)
    mychar        res       1
    byteshft      res       1
    buffer        res       1
    bit_test      res       1
    serial        res       1
    digit         res       1

fit                           

edited 2015-03-13 09:19
    I've added a couple of functions to the C program -- displaying a number or "error" if > 6 places, and calculating and displaying voltage from each channel of a 3208 ADC. (This code just uses a demo program that provides the ADC channel number, raw adc value, and reference voltage, displays volts to 3 decimal places, and returns voltsx1000.)

I've also cleaned up some of the C programming (I'm learning about strings in C).

Tom
    /*
    led17.c  -- C functions for 17 segment LED on PPDB using Tonyp12 plug in driver board
    T Montemarano 

test harness for the libled17.c library
    */

#include "simpletools.h"            // Library includes
    // #include "led17.h"               // for future use 

// Global variables
    char textbuffer[] = {'R','E','A','D','Y',' ',0,0};
    int *cogled17;      //  pointer to cog ID

// function prototypes for library
    void led17_start(char *text);      // param (pointer to character buffer for PASM)
    void led17_test();
    void led17_clear();
    void led17_pnumi(int);             // param (integer to display)
    int led17_p3208i(int, int, int);   // params (int channel_number, int adc_raw, Vref), returns volts*1000

// function prototypes for demos
    void test_pnum();
    void adc3208sim();                 // simulates raw output of MCP3208

int main()          // Main function
    {   
    // Put demo code here

led17_start(textbuffer);        // start PASM driver
        pause(1000);
    led17_test();                   // Display all ASCII characters, 6 at a time
    led17_clear();                  // Clear display
        pause(1000);
    test_pnum();                  // demo display of numbers and error if num places > 6
        pause(1000);
    adc3208sim();                   // Simulate MCP3208 readings and display volts as ch#<space>x.xxx
        pause(1500);
       pause(1000);

}     // end main

// ************* functions
    void led17_start(char *text)  // Starts PASM driver and displays "READY" on PPDB 17 segment LEDs
    {
      extern int binary_LED17v2x_dat_start[];
      *cogled17 = 1 + cognew((void*)binary_LED17v2x_dat_start, text);
    }

// +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    void led17_test()       //  Displays all characters on the PPDB 17 Segment LEDs
    {
      for(int q = 24; q <= 120; q+=6)
      { for (int qq = 0; qq<=5; qq++) text4[qq] = q + qq; 
        strcpy(textbuffer, text4);                             // move string to PASM buffer
        pause(2000);
      }    
    }

void led17_clear()      // Clears 17 segment LED display -- displays all <spaces>
    {
      strcpy(textbuffer, text4);                             // move string to PASM buffer
      pause(100);
    }

//  ** note uses sprinti because sprintf adds 11k bytes to total code size 
    //    if necessary to use sprintf -- put those functions in separate file for library
    void led17_pnumi(int x)   // Displays an integer <= 6 digits incl sign or ERROR if > than 6 digits
    {                                  //  Number is displayed left justified
      char buffer[20];
      char text4[] = "ERROR ";
      int n = sprinti(buffer, "%d", x);    // convert number to string, n is length
      if(n > 6)
      { strcpy(textbuffer, text4);       // move ERROR to PASM buffer
         return;
      }
      strcpy(textbuffer, buffer);           // move string to PASM buffer
      return;
    }

int led17_p3208i(int ch, int adcraw, int vref)  // convert raw to volts & display "ch x.xxx" 
    {                                             // params (int channel_number, int adc_raw, Vref), returns volts*1000
      char buffer[] = {0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0};
      int vx1k = (adcraw * 1000 * vref) / 4096;                  // volts * 1000
      int n = sprinti(buffer, "%d _%d", ch, (vx1k + 1000));      // add 1k to protect leading zeros
      buffer[2] = buffer[3] - 1;                         // remove 0 protection, move 1st digit to make room for DP
      buffer[3] = 46;                                                        // insert the decimal point
      strcpy(textbuffer, buffer);                                            // move string to PASM buffer
      return vx1k;
    }

void test_pnum()
    {
    for(int i = 1; i <= 10; i++) 
      { led17_pnumi(2123 * i * i * i);
        pause(1500);
      }
    }

void adc3208sim()            // simulates raw output of MCP3208 for demo
    {
      int vv;  
      int vraw[] = {5, 1024, 1536, 2048, 2560, 3072, 3584, 4096};
      for(int i = 0; i <= 7; i++)
      { vv = led17_p3208i(i, vraw[i], 5);                       // ch#, adc raw value, reference voltage
        printi(" Channel %d = %d volts x 1000\n", i, vv); 
        pause(1500);
      }    
    }

• pmrobertpmrobert Posts: 669
    edited 2015-05-25 17:02
    This is Good Stuff - thx Tony and Tom. The PPDB is significantly more useful now that those 17 segs can be easily used!

-Mike
  • Developers

Do you know where the schematic is for these led's on PPDB?

Led part # is 3292AB

Thank you!

Merry Christmas!
  • here

They are common cathode. Ground the cathode and pull the segment high. Resistors are included
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
  • Chris

Thank you.

How do you wire it?

Merry Christmas!
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    The displays are common cathode. So the digit lines are the "ground" while the segments are the supply side. There are several posts here on the forums with code and wiring diagrams.

I posted one previously here: http://forums.parallax.com/discussion/111067/sixteen-segment-display-on-popeller-professional-development-board
  • I got 2 left for sale.
    Here is the pcb diptrace file.

This is the latest version that don't use any wires.
    Buffer (SN74LV1T34DBVR) so it will work with any power-rail voltage.
    Dual n-mosfet CPH5617-TL-E
    Two resistor-capacitor network as to trick data and latch pins to not see the fast clock signals, as pcb only uses fast, slow and super-slow clock signal.

edited 2016-12-27 23:15
    I have two of these, and I strongly suggest anyone with a PPDB to get one, or two.

Tony, Thanks for sharing the Diptrace file!