Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Propeller II update - BLOG - Page 203 — Parallax Forums

Propeller II update - BLOG

Comments

• cgraceycgracey Posts: 14,133
    edited 2014-03-08 19:43
    Can anyone think of a better name than TCHECK? There should be some single word that could make up most of the name. I used "check" like one would check a basketball with an opposition teammate before starting play again. The word "register" applies, too, but it's too long and means, well... registers.
  • Bob Lawrence (VE1RLL)Bob Lawrence (VE1RLL) Posts: 1,720
    edited 2014-03-08 19:51
    [QUOTETask B notices the non-0 value and can do whatever it wants about it, but can write 0 to the register to release Task A.][/QUOTE]

is this - but can or can't?

or
    can also? like this " Task B notices the non-0 value and can do whatever it wants about it and can also write 0 to the register to release Task A."

PS: I'm not being picky about the wording, just trying to understand the flow.
  • jmgjmg Posts: 15,149
    edited 2014-03-08 19:54
    cgracey wrote: »
    TCHECK D,S/# 'Write S/# into D and jump to self. On subsequent iterations, don't write D, but jump to self if D <> 0.

This gets rid of the need for TRESUME.

Removing TRESUME is good, as there were some usage cases of that, which worried me...

There is a more packed suggested version of TCHECK in #6041, which uses the now empty opcode of TRESUME, to create a new JB31 opcode. That allows TCHECK to signal efficiently in both directions.
    edited 2014-03-08 20:00
    Can anyone think of a better name than TCHECK? There should be some single word that could make up most of the name. I used "check" like one would check a basketball with an opposition teammate before starting play again. The word "register" applies, too, but it's too long and means, well... registers.

Give this loops until released, how about LOOPNZ (or the variant would be LOOPB31 ) ?
  • mindrobotsmindrobots Posts: 6,506
    edited 2014-03-08 20:11

is this - but can or can't?l

or
    can also? like this "Task B notices the non-0 value and can do whatever it wants about it and can also write 0 to the register to release Task A."

Actually, it's more like "must" write 0 to the register to release Task A or do a JMPTASK to force Task A to go do something else. Task A is pretty much stopped and st the mercy of some other task to get going again. Not a problem at all just something to be aware of.

It will read better than the "jz base,@$" currently in the monitor code.
  • roglohrogloh Posts: 5,218
    edited 2014-03-08 20:15

Maybe THOLD for task hold or TWAIT for task wait?
    edited 2014-03-08 20:19
    /COLOR]Task B notices the non-0 value and can do whatever it wants about it, but can write 0 to the register to release Task A.]

is this - but can or can't?

or
    can also? like this " Task B notices the non-0 value and can do whatever it wants about it and can also write 0 to the register to release Task A."

Sorry about that. I knew the wording was a little weird.

This TCHECK instruction has a few different uses, though all of them are inter-task related. TCHECK can be used to know that a task or a thread has arrived at a certain point and is waiting to be released. Or, it could be used as a breakpoint, signalling that it got to a location and is now waiting for further handling. TCHECK's big value is that it atomically (via a single instruction) signals to other tasks that a point has been reached and then waits for some interaction. The interaction can be simply releasing it to carry on by writing a zero to the D register used by TCHECK, or it can be starving that task of time slots, so that it goes dormant, allowing you to perform some kind of alien abduction maneuver, where you swap out the TCHECK with another instruction and let it run further, or do some kind of context swap, where you begin running another program in that task, later coming back to execute more of the original program. It's a nifty mechanism that could facilitate a lot of different things. It was pretty much thought up by people on this forum.
  • mindrobotsmindrobots Posts: 6,506
    edited 2014-03-08 20:22

Haha! We're almost back to TYIELD again. The task is yielding its powers of execution until some other task decides when and what it should do to continue.

(too bad TROUNDABOUT is too long....best analogy!)

TSUBMIT - submit to will of other task

TSKPASS - pass control of your future to some other task

TSKASK - ask some other task what you should do?

TINTRPT - interrupt the other task (kidding!!)

TLOITER - stop and wait around until something happens

TNOTIFY - tell some other task something - let it decide what to do

FLAGTSK - pass a flag to some other task

I think I'm out of ideas...lucky for you guys!
    edited 2014-03-08 20:24
    jmg wrote: »
    Give this loops until released, how about LOOPNZ (or the variant would be LOOPB31 ) ?

But it needs to convey something about what both operands do.
    edited 2014-03-08 20:25
    rogloh wrote: »
    Maybe THOLD for task hold or TWAIT for task wait?

Those are both pretty good names. I'm kind of partial to THOLD because WAIT is already an instruction, and HOLD seems a little more open-ended about what might be happening.
  • potatoheadpotatohead Posts: 10,255
    edited 2014-03-08 20:28
    We are checking and we are optionally authorizing or releasing and signalling...

TCOORD, in that all of these things are coordinating the behavior between tasks?

Just saw THOLD, and I like that one.

Fixating on coordinate for a moment, makes me thing of TSYNC, in that we are doing what it takes to insure the various tasks do things according to plan.

That's all I got.
    edited 2014-03-08 20:32
    But it needs to convey something about what both operands do.

The LOOPNZ register part shows it is waiting while register is NZ, but the 2ns param is written so it could be
    WLOOPNZ register,#WrValue -> Write to Register and Loop while register Non Zero
    edited 2014-03-08 20:34
    ...but that really doesn't convey it's relationship to a task. It does however pack the low level function into the mnemonic. Personally, I would rather it have task or T as part of the name so that context of when to use it is clear.

TSYNC: (TASK SYNC) Writes value (#) or value contained in source register (S) to destination (D), then begins jumping back to itself while destination is non zero.

I have a question. Is the value written once, or is it written on every loop? Secondly, if source is immediate # then the same value would be written there, but would source also be allowed to be the standard contents of register, (non #) mode, as well?

Seems to me, another task could change the source register contents, which would be updated to the supervisor or scheduler task on every loop iteration.

Intended behavior? Just asking at this point in an attempt to fully understand the instruction.
    edited 2014-03-08 20:37
    mindrobots wrote: »
    Haha! We're almost back to TYIELD again. The task is yielding its powers of execution until some other task decides when and what it should do to continue.

(too bad TROUNDABOUT is too long....best analogy!)

TSUBMIT - submit to will of other task

TSKPASS - pass control of your future to some other task

TSKASK - ask some other task what you should do?

TINTRPT - interrupt the other task (kidding!!)

TNOTIFY - tell some other task something - let it decide what to do

FLAGTSK - pass a flag to some other task

I think I'm out of ideas...lucky for you guys!

Yeah, those are pretty imaginative.
    edited 2014-03-08 20:39
    potatohead wrote: »
    We are checking and we are optionally authorizing or releasing and signalling...

TCOORD, in that all of these things are coordinating the behavior between tasks?

Just saw THOLD, and I like that one.

Fixating on coordinate for a moment, makes me thing of TSYNC, in that we are doing what it takes to insure the various tasks do things according to plan.

That's all I got.

TSYNC is pretty good. It implies a certain use case, though. TCOORD is good, but it will never read well because of the double O's.
  • ozpropdevozpropdev Posts: 2,791
    edited 2014-03-08 20:40
    What about TBREAK? :)
    edited 2014-03-08 20:42
    Assembler mnemonics tend to be operation focused, (what they do), rather that what are they used for ?

It's hopefully pretty clear to anyone that

WLOOPNZ register,#WrValue -> Write to Register and Loop while register Non Zero

is going to loop forever, unless someone else changes that register.
    - so the someone-else / Task nature, is fairly implicit.
    edited 2014-03-08 20:44
    TCOORD
    Sounds like a TBOSS :)
    edited 2014-03-08 20:45
    Sorry about that. I knew the wording was a little weird.

This TCHECK instruction has a few different uses, though all of them are inter-task related. TCHECK can be used to know that a task or a thread has arrived at a certain point and is waiting to be released. Or, it could be used as a breakpoint, signalling that it got to a location and is now waiting for further handling. TCHECK's big value is that it atomically (via a single instruction) signals to other tasks that a point has been reached and then waits for some interaction. The interaction can be simply releasing it to carry on by writing a zero to the D register used by TCHECK, or it can be starving that task of time slots, so that it goes dormant, allowing you to perform some kind of alien abduction maneuver, where you swap out the TCHECK with another instruction and let it run further, or do some kind of context swap, where you begin running another program in that task, later coming back to execute more of the original program. It's a nifty mechanism that could facilitate a lot of different things.

Thanks!! Chip that's great!!
    edited 2014-03-08 20:46
    mindrobots wrote: »

Hehe, I like TLOITER, but may not cross language barriers too well ?

It does almost say Write to Register and Loop while register Non Zero in a slang-manner.
    edited 2014-03-08 20:52
    Assembler mnemonics tend to be operation focused
    --until they aren't.

Taking that approach with something like waitvid would be strange and difficult to associate with the intended scope of use cases, would it not? That's the question being posed here. Instead of waitvid, which summarizes the higher level functionality, we would get something like WAFACV, (wait and fetch aux memory color values....) which is just crappy.

Personally, I would understand this instruction from both the mnemonic you've put out there jmg, and the functional description. Next question, "what do I use that for?", which is kind of the naming discussion at hand. Once I've read the functional description, I'm left with the mnemonic, and duplicating all that info really doesn't get a person thinking about tasks, more like loops and we've got jump instructions for that, and worse, this one really isn't intended for those use cases at all, which is confusing. Everybody who might want to loop, would take a look at this loop thing and wonder, "what good does that do for my loop?"

When tasking, it's going to be obvious to go look through the tasking instructions for solutions, not some looping thing. Not that your mnemonic is bad. It isn't. I just don't think it gets at usability as well as one could.
    edited 2014-03-08 21:01
    What about TATND or TATTEND, maybe just TAT?

Attending to something that needs attending to. The signaling task would be indicating it needs attending to of some sort.

Of course, somebody is gonna say it, TIT for TAT. At least it's not SEX, found on the 6809. :)

Which brings me to TINTENT or TINT for short, neither read as well as I would like, but this instruction enables intent between tasks.

Maybe now that's all I've got. The thesaurus is at a point of diminishing returns now.

Whatever it gets named, I feel good about it.
    edited 2014-03-08 21:08
    TCHECK?

How about TCONTROL , TOPTIONS , TCHOICES, TJUDGE, TVALUATE , TAPPRAISE
    edited 2014-03-08 21:12
    TAP "Task Acknowledge and Process"

TWTF, TLOL, TOMG, TWTYM.... Yeah, kidding...
    edited 2014-03-08 21:18
    potatohead wrote: »
    I have a question. Is the value written once, or is it written on every loop? Secondly, if source is immediate # then the same value would be written there, but would source also be allowed to be the standard contents of register, (non #) mode, as well?

It only writes on the first iteration. Subsequent iterations loop if D is not zero. The value written can be a constant or a register.
  • eldonb46eldonb46 Posts: 70
    edited 2014-03-08 21:23
    How about THALT

as in: Halt definition, to stop; cease moving, operating, etc., either permanently or temporarily.

Or, actually I still like TPAUSE

edited 2014-03-08 21:24
    Maybe TSIGNAL?
    edited 2014-03-08 21:26
    eldonb46 wrote: »
    How about THALT

as in: Halt definition, to stop; cease moving, operating, etc., either permanently or temporarily.

Or, actually I still like TPAUSE

THALT is pretty good! It's nice and terse and reads well.

It works well, too, because it doesn't imply something that may or may not happen afterwards, like how TPAUSE suggests that things will resume, when maybe that's just not in the program.
    edited 2014-03-08 21:27
    Maybe TSIGNAL?

or TSIGLNZ ?

Task Signaling by Write to Register and Loop while register Non Zero
    edited 2014-03-08 21:30
    I really like THALT. That is the primary thing which will happen when the instruction gets executed. Best fit yet IMHO.