Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
PropBasic: How to use PropBasic in SimpleIDE !!! - Page 4 — Parallax Forums

PropBasic: How to use PropBasic in SimpleIDE !!!

124»

Comments

• camelot2camelot2 Posts: 54
    edited 2013-11-18 12:28
    pmrobert wrote: »
    What browser are you using? I just tested IE10, a recent Firefox and a current Chrome using default security settings and all d/l the file without issue.

I am using Win7 and IE11
  • PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2014-01-27 08:38
    Is PropBasic still supported with the latest SimpleIDE since it has gone to OpenSpin?
  • BeanBean Posts: 8,129
    edited 2014-01-27 14:58
    Publison wrote: »
    Is PropBasic still supported with the latest SimpleIDE since it has gone to OpenSpin?

OpenSpin does not support the @@@ operator.

You can use the latest SimpleIDE, but you need to use BSTC for compiling.

Bean
  • David BetzDavid Betz Posts: 14,511
    edited 2014-01-27 15:06
    Bean wrote: »
    OpenSpin does not support the @@@ operator.

You can use the latest SimpleIDE, but you need to use BSTC for compiling.

Bean
    What does @@@ do again? I wonder if Roy would add it to OpenSpin or if he might allow someone else to add it? It would be nice if PropBasic would work with SimpleIDE without having to install BSTC.
  • Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    edited 2014-01-27 15:15
    David,

@@@ is the thing that gives you the real actual physical address of a thing in Spin.

If you play with it you will find that @ (or is it @@?) in Spin is totally insane. Gives you different results depending on if you use it in a PUB or DAT section. Niether of which is what you want or useful.

By the way, how is it possible that something that supports C, C++, Spin and BASIC is still called SimpleIDE?

Did anybody ever stop to think how "not simple" that is? Even the options you have to get right for C are confusing enough.
    edited 2014-01-27 15:53
    David Betz wrote: »
    What does @@@ do again? I wonder if Roy would add it to OpenSpin or if he might allow someone else to add it? It would be nice if PropBasic would work with SimpleIDE without having to install BSTC.

That would be great if Roy could add that.

If I remember correctly it gives the actual HUB address of a label.

I'm open to anything that would get PropBasic supported directly in SimpleIDE. There is a batch file you can use, but you have to set the filetype to spin, and of course it doesn't do the highlighting properly, but it does work. In fact I use SimpleIDE most of the time when I use the Propeller.

Here is the batch file if anyone wants to use it:
    You also need to change Tools->Properties->Spin Folder->Spin Compiler to run this batch file (put the batch file in the "Propeller-gcc\bin" folder.
    You'll also need BSTC in that folder too.
    @echo Building %4

@if exist "%~n4.binary" (
        @del "%~n4.binary"
    )

@if "%~x4" == ".spin" (
      @bstc %1 %2 %3 %4
        @echo returning 0
        @exit 0
      ) ELSE (
        @echo returning 1
        @exit 1
      )
    )

@if exist "%~n4.err" (
        @del "%~n4.err"
    )
    @propbasic .\%4 /B
    @if not errorlevel 1 (
      @if not exist "%~n4.err" (
        @bstc -b ".\%~n4.spin"
        @echo returning 0
        @exit 0
      ) ELSE (
        @echo returning 1
        @exit 1
      )
      )
    )
    @exit 1

Bean
  • David BetzDavid Betz Posts: 14,511
    edited 2014-01-27 19:28
    Heater. wrote: »
    David,

@@@ is the thing that gives you the real actual physical address of a thing in Spin.

If you play with it you will find that @ (or is it @@?) in Spin is totally insane. Gives you different results depending on if you use it in a PUB or DAT section. Niether of which is what you want or useful.
    Thanks. If Roy doesn't have time to do this I may take a look at it and submit it to him for approval.
    By the way, how is it possible that something that supports C, C++, Spin and BASIC is still called SimpleIDE?

Did anybody ever stop to think how "not simple" that is? Even the options you have to get right for C are confusing enough.
    I've wondered this myself. However, it's probably still simpler than something like Eclipse! :-)
  • jazzedjazzed Posts: 11,803
    edited 2014-01-29 10:16
    What is the PropBasic source file name extension? .pbas ?
  • PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2014-01-29 10:31
    jazzed wrote: »
    What is the PropBasic source file name extension? .pbas ?

That's correct Steve.

Jim
  • jazzedjazzed Posts: 11,803
    edited 2014-01-29 10:44
    Publison wrote: »
    That's correct Steve.

Jim

Most excellent! Thanks.
  • hatallicahatallica Posts: 175
    edited 2014-11-12 04:16
    Having some issues getting set up, and any help would be greatly appreciated. From the original post instructions, I get stuck at the point of opening a .pbas file. File -> Open is not an option presented, and neither is Tools -> Set Project View (as mentioned by Jazzed in post #6). I am just getting set up with SimpleIDE on Windows 8, after my old laptop died (was using BST). Thanks!
    edited 2014-11-12 05:37
    When you do "File->Open" type in "*.pbas" for the filename, then it will show PropBasic files.
    You will have to change the "Compiler Type" to "SPIN" and setup the batch file as mentioned.

The steps for a new project are:
    "Project->Close Project"
    "File->Open" type in *.pbas for the filename, then file the PropBasic file and open it.
    Set "Compiler Type" to "SPIN".
    Do "Set Project To Current Tab" ("Gear" icon)

Let me know if this doesn't work for you.

Bean
    edited 2014-11-13 05:17
    Thank you for the quick reply, Bean. I reached my Eureka! moment quite by accident this morning.

"File" menu still only shows 3 options - Close All, Print, Exit

Right-clicking on "File" showed me tools that could be added to the ribbon. Now, I have "Open File" as an icon on the ribbon and I was able to open one of my old .pbas files.

Similarly, setting the Project View via the "Tools" menu is also not an option. There is a small button in the lower left corner (it reads "Show Project Manager" if you hover over it) that toggles the view.

In humility, I was motivated to RTFM. I noticed that the SimpleIDE documentation covers up to v0.9.45, but the current application download is v.0.9.64. So, hopefully documenting my random button-clicking helps to reduce frustration for someone else migrating to SimpleIDE.

Regards,
    ph
    edited 2014-12-08 04:43
    I just got back to this - life got in the way for a while. I had some struggles with SimpleIDE Version 0.9.64 locking up, so I installed Version 1.0.1 (RC1). I have now tested with my new program and presumed-good programs (i.e. previously running with BST) with similarly bad results. An example build error is below.

I expect that I am missing something simple … it would be greatly appreciated if someone might help me to see what that might be. (I was going to attach the simple PBAS file, but the attachment tool is not cooperating. Maybe my laptop is has a demon that does not want me to program?.)

~ph
    Project Directory: C:/Users/phatala/Documents/Electrical Projects/Parallax/Propeller/PropBASIC/SimpleIDE Projects/

propbasic.bat -b -L C:/Program Files (x86)/SimpleIDE/bin/../propeller-gcc/spin/ Reflow.PBAS

Building Reflow.PBAS

PropBasic Version 00.01.42 Aug 25, 2013

Finished Compile. 193 Lines Read, 139 Lines Generated,  0 Warnings, 0 Errors.

'bstc' is not recognized as an internal or external command,

operable program or batch file.

returning 1

edited 2014-12-08 05:34
    You need to have the file bstc.exe in the same directory as the batch file.

Bean
    edited 2014-12-08 07:51
    Bean wrote: »
    You need to have the file bstc.exe in the same directory as the batch file.

As expected; something simple. I will take another swing at it tonight.
    Thanks - as always - for the quick and helpful reply, Bean.