Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
RIP Ozzy — Parallax Forums

RIP Ozzy

NWCCTVNWCCTV Posts: 3,629
edited 2013-08-22 20:59 in General Discussion
After battling terminaal bone cancer since February of this year, I had to make the hardest decision of my life yesterday to put our beloved Red Bone hound, Ozzy down. He was more than a pet. He was our baby since all of our kids have gone. My wife and I are both devastated at the loss but relieved he is no longer in pain. He was about the best pet we ever had. Only wanting love, attention and lots of food. He loved our grandkids dearly and was a charachter with a personality that will live on forever. He went peacefully in my arms at the vet yesterday. We will be getting his ashes to spread in his backyard because he never wanted to leave home, especially it seemed, yesterday.
_DSC6045.jpg

Comments

• PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2013-08-21 09:13
    Very sorry to hear that. He looked like a great dog.

Jim
  • Tim-MTim-M Posts: 522
    edited 2013-08-21 09:15
    Makes my heart ache to read your post NWCCTV, so sorry for your loss of Ozzy. My wife and I have a house and barn full of rescued family members and know the spot you're in too well, it can be a really tough place to be... You and your wife are in our thoughts and prayers.
  • NWCCTVNWCCTV Posts: 3,629
    edited 2013-08-21 09:16
    He was. I know everyone always says theirs was the best. Ozzy was the best pet we have ever owned. Never any problems other than liking people too much and sneaking on to the couch. The hardest part was that he just turned 5 in July and we got him 5 years ago next month. We knew this was coming but I was just not prepared for the hole it has left in me.
  • ctwardellctwardell Posts: 1,716
    edited 2013-08-21 10:00
    My condolences to you and your wife, I know it's very hard to say goodbye to such a well loved companion.

C.W.
  • Martin_HMartin_H Posts: 4,051
    edited 2013-08-21 10:02
    Sorry to hear about this.
  • mindrobotsmindrobots Posts: 6,506
    edited 2013-08-21 10:11
    Our family's prayers and thoughts are with you. I think it's harder than saying goodbye to people....but maybe I'm wired wrong. There's a special bond between many people and animals. Remember, the good memories stay stong and the bad times tend to fade.
  • ElectricAyeElectricAye Posts: 4,561
    edited 2013-08-21 10:12
    It's always hard to lose a friend, four-legged or otherwise. Sorry to hear.
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2013-08-21 10:15
    I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. I know the pain and emptiness you're feeling right now and can sympathize. It sounds like he was a much-loved dog and that you were the best "parent" your four-legged buddy could ever hope for. The animals that share our lives bring so much joy and love, and their sudden departure leaves a huge hollow, no matter how much we think we've prepared for it. Even though you will always miss Ozzy, it gets better, and the pain will ease over time. Keep his photos handy and allow them to evoke the good times. It helps.

-Phil
  • davejamesdavejames Posts: 4,045
    edited 2013-08-21 10:23
    ...5?!?! That is way too young!

Very, very sorry to hear.

You're right about the hole left by the absence. After losing 2 beloved pets in the last year, I can absolutely tell you that the hole does lessen as time moves on, with all the usual (and rightly-so) tears, smiles at the memories, more tears, seeing them "out-of-the-corner-of-the-eye", tears again, literally hearing them at odd times, again tears, wishes of having been a better companion to them, more tears, and more, and more...

My buddies (Kitty and Waldo) had a huge impact on my life - as I know Ozzy had on yours.

Condolences to you and your wife,

Dave
  • Ron CzapalaRon Czapala Posts: 2,418
    edited 2013-08-21 10:25
    I'm sorry for your loss and understand completely.
    I had to put down a beloved Yorkie 8 years ago.
    He was 19 years old and I waited longer than I should have to do it.

I decided not to get another dog because that was too painful.
    My decision only lasted for 7 weeks - I got another Yorkie pup - couldn't handle not having a furry friend.
  • Matt GillilandMatt Gilliland Posts: 1,406
    edited 2013-08-21 10:40
    Hey NWCCTV - sorry to hear about Ozzy. Phil is right, it gets easier with time - but the hole will always be there - especially for those really great companions, like Ozzy.

I am convinced however, that my grandmother "Gigi" is running Heaven's Kennel's right now. I'll send her a message later and make sure that Ozzy is looked after until you get there to take over...Don't rush, Gigi is quite capable.

Does Ozzy chase cats? That could be a problem...we lost "Tiger" this Sunday after 18 years. Although, if Tiger and Browser formed a "meet and greet" for Ozzy?...it could happen?!...
    -MattG
  • doggiedocdoggiedoc Posts: 2,239
    edited 2013-08-21 11:26
    Sorry for your loss. I know you will miss your friend.

Doc
  • PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2013-08-21 11:42
    Hey NWCCTV - sorry to hear about Ozzy. Phil is right, it gets easier with time - but the hole will always be there - especially for those really great companions, like Ozzy.

I am convinced however, that my grandmother "Gigi" is running Heaven's Kennel's right now. I'll send her a message later and make sure that Ozzy is looked after until you get there to take over...Don't rush, Gigi is quite capable.

Does Ozzy chase cats? That could be a problem...we lost "Tiger" this Sunday after 18 years. Although, if Tiger and Browser formed a "meet and greet" for Ozzy?...it could happen?!...
    -MattG

Sorry to be OT...But sorry for your loss also Matt.
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,244
    edited 2013-08-21 13:14
    Sorry to hear about Ozzy and Tiger. Pets are family. On occasion, better.
  • NWCCTVNWCCTV Posts: 3,629
    edited 2013-08-21 15:06
    Thanks everyone for the kind thoughts and words. And Matt, I am also sorry to hear of your loss. Ozzy was a hound dog, so he pretty much chased everything that came across his path in our backyard. He was also the biggest love bug one could know. As I found out prior to getting him, Red Bone hounds are very attached to their "people" whomever that may be. He was a loyal and precious part of our family and it is hard just waliking in the house without his wet nose to great me.

Edit: And Matt, Tell your Grandma that Ozzy might chase the cats but just wants someone to play with!!!!
  • xanatosxanatos Posts: 1,120
    edited 2013-08-21 15:23
    So sorry to hear of Ozzy's passing, my heart really goes out to you since I've been there myself. Lost my beloved Sputz kitty almost three years ago and it still hurts like the holy he**. I hope you can find some comfort in the wonderful memories you all made together.

Dave
  • Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,386
    edited 2013-08-21 21:50
    NWCCTV: sorry to hear about Ozzy. I'm sure he passed as a thankful dog having you raise him, too.
  • WhitWhit Posts: 4,191
    edited 2013-08-22 20:35
    Some folks say dogs, cats and other animals don't go to heaven... I don't believe that for a second!

And that is a professional opinion. Rest and play in peace, Ozzy!
  • ElectricAyeElectricAye Posts: 4,561
    edited 2013-08-22 20:59
    Whit wrote: »
    Some folks say dogs...don't go to heaven......

I bet there might be some trees that would agree with that.

boy-dogs-peeing_med.jpg
  • That is very sad to me. May they rest well.

• Sorry for your loss. I know the pain of losing a'fur baby'. It sucks

• Just so ya know, this is a 10 year old thread. (But I bet they are still well-missed).