Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Prop Chess (for VGA): Human Vs. Propeller - Page 2 — Parallax Forums

Prop Chess (for VGA): Human Vs. Propeller

2»

Comments

• ericballericball Posts: 774
    edited 2012-04-05 09:56
    Heater. wrote: »
    Which makes me wonder how COGINIT will work on the Prop II where there is more than 64K RAM.
    As per http://forums.parallax.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=90354&d=1331095780, the way it should have been done in the first place (IMHO) - by using both the source & destination registers.
  • User NameUser Name Posts: 1,451
    edited 2012-04-05 18:13
    Cool. So it sounds like there would be a ready means of addressing a larger Hub RAM should Parallax decide to create a P8X256A.
  • VIRANDVIRAND Posts: 656
    edited 2013-05-03 22:08
    Fun but so easy I can't lose. It must have been hard to write this though. How did Radio Shack have chess master boards in 1980 with only 4K PROM microcontrollers in them?
  • RaymanRayman Posts: 13,850
    edited 2013-05-04 13:38
    The graphics take up most of the memory...

Now that we have PropGCC, I might look into doing a better job with this...
  • PJAllenPJAllen Banned Posts: 5,065
    edited 2013-05-05 06:38
    Then maybe there could be "Prop Chess - Propeller v. Propeller".
    I would be willing to pay to watch that... if they had flame-throwers... and a distinct likelihood that one (or both) may crash.
  • LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2013-05-06 03:11
    Having done mainstream 'international' Chess, you might consider Chinese Chess, aka as Elephant Chess. After all, it is what the Chinese play that is a huge vast marketplace.

Consider the differences....

A. The board is NOT an 8 x 8 square with pieces set in the squares. It is a 9 x 10 grid with pieces placed on the intersections.

B. The King and 2 ministers are restricted to a 3 x 3 grid that is called the place, not queen

C. The center of the board has a river that pawns, rooks, canon, and knights are allowed to cross. Pawns can move laterally once they cross the river. Some pieces can never cross the river.

D. Stalemate is a win, the same as Checkmate

E. Canon are a bit unusual in that they capture by 'shooting over an intermediate' piece. Yes, you have less pawns and two Canon that move like Rooks but attack differently. These are very important pieces... especially in the openings.

F. Knights can be blocked in their movements by adjecent pieces ( the horse is considered to have no legs in that direction). So can the Elephants (which are similar to bishops)

~~~~~~~~~

If you really are interested, get of copy (in English of course) of "Chinese Chess, An introduction to China's ancient game of strategy" by H.T. Lau, published by Tuttle Publishing, 1985. It has openings, end game, and mid-game with two appendices that document classic Chinese tutorial.

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

I think that Chinese Chess programed on the Propeller 1 or 2 would be a great cross-cultural project and might be hugely popular in China. Here in Taiwan, you see old men playing it in the parks just about everywhere you go, kids know it, and their fathers love to mentor sons on it.

I think you could avoid the Chinese characters for each piece and use the 'western' icons to make it easier for western users to learn and to program.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xiangqi
  • RaymanRayman Posts: 13,850
    edited 2013-05-06 06:09
    Just read that wikipedia entry... It's interesting actually.
    The concepts from the article that I used for this chess game could probably be adapted to other games as well.

If there were an open source C or C++ version of Xiangqi around, another option is to bring it in with PropGCC...
  • LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2013-05-06 06:46
    Well, it seems there has been an active community of programmers since 1981.

Computer students in Taiwan are indeed involved in studying it. Below is a recent university PowerPoint Summary.

What is lacking is a focus of using the Propeller 1 or 2.

http://www.iis.sinica.edu.tw/~tshsu/tcg2012/slides/slide12.pdf