Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
USB to serial adapters, Windows 8, USB 3.0 ports — Parallax Forums

USB to serial adapters, Windows 8, USB 3.0 ports

robrlstnrobrlstn Posts: 4
edited 2013-01-29 09:43 in General Discussion
Can the Professional Development Board (Serial) for the STAMP be used with a USB to serial adapter?

Can the Professional Development Board (Serial, Rev.A) for the Propeller be used with a USB to serial adapter?

If so, are there recommended adapters?

I'm buying a new PC which will probably come with USB 3.0 ports. Do these adapters work with USB 3.0 ports?

This new machine will probably also come with Windows 8 Pro? Does the software for the STAMP and Propeller work with Windows 8 Pro? I just installed an Arduino type board (Arno from olympiasystems) for my grandson; it required turning off the Windows 8 driver signing but then it worked OK.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Robert

Comments

• NWCCTVNWCCTV Posts: 3,629
    edited 2013-01-21 17:02
    I am not sure about the softwre side but I do know that USB 3 prots are backwards compatible to USB 2. To test you can just plug in any older USB device to a USB 3 port and it should be found.
  • SRLMSRLM Posts: 5,045
    edited 2013-01-21 17:58
    2) The PPDB doesn't need to be used with an external adapter: it has one built in. Still, if you wanted to you could (following the schematic found in the Propeller Education Kit Labs) as long as your USB to Serial brings out DTR so you connect it to the reset pin.

3) The recommended adapter for the Propeller is the Prop Plug.

4) I just tried with my Propellers on USB3.0 ports, and it seemed to work correctly. I'll keep on using and see if I run into any problems.

NWCCTV wrote: »
    I am not sure about the softwre side but I do know that USB 3 prots are backwards compatible to USB 2. To test you can just plug in any older USB device to a USB 3 port and it should be found.

I have had some trouble with USB3.0 ports with 2.0 devices, namely the Salae Logic16. When it's plugged into the USB3.0 port it has to considerably slow down it's data rate.
  • robrlstnrobrlstn Posts: 4
    edited 2013-01-22 17:38
    Thank you for all the replies. Sounds like most USB2 devices work with USB3 ports, but not all.

I asked Salae if their customers were reporting problems with USB3 ports. They said, a couple did several months ago but nothing since, and they encouraged anyone having problems to contact them, although the problem might be in a particular USB controller in the PC and the code driving it, i.e. it might be that Salae could not do anything.

I think I might buy a new PC with Windows 7 but upgradeable to Windows 8, until more of the inevitable kinks are worked out.

I think I might build a Prop Plug and see if I can get the STAMP board working with it.

Again, thank you for the replies.
  • SRLMSRLM Posts: 5,045
    edited 2013-01-22 18:22
    robrlstn wrote: »
    I asked Salae if their customers were reporting problems with USB3 ports. They said, a couple did several months ago but nothing since, and they encouraged anyone having problems to contact them, although the problem might be in a particular USB controller in the PC and the code driving it, i.e. it might be that Salae could not do anything.

I haven't reported the problem to Salae, mostly because I haven't taken the time to properly diagnose it and figure it out. It works fine on USB 2.0 for me, so I just don't use it on the 3.0 ports.

Also, I should mention that I'm on Ubuntu Linux, not Windows. I guess I just forget sometimes...
  • robrlstnrobrlstn Posts: 4
    edited 2013-01-26 09:04
    The USB Serial Adapter from Micro Connections, Inc. ((E07-160) seems to work OK, connected from XP to the STAMP Professional Dev Board.

This adapter is about 15" long, USB to DE9 male so I added a straight thru cable for more length. About $20.50 out the door at local Frys. Included drivers go up through Windows 7.
  • softconsoftcon Posts: 215
    edited 2013-01-27 08:38
    Parallax sells a few usb to serial adapters in their store as well. You might wish to try those, as I'd wager parallax wouldn't sell them if they didn't work with their things. :)
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,244
    edited 2013-01-28 22:47
    I just installed Win8 (slow but straightforward) in my 2005 Compaq desktop and downloaded the PBasic editor. When I plugged in Parallax's USB/Serial adapter (#28030) it loaded the driver automatically. It was so fast that I think the driver came from Win8 without going online and searching for it. It works properly and I programmed a BS2 Homework board.
  • jmgjmg Posts: 15,140
    edited 2013-01-28 23:02
    There are some cautions on FTDI' website about USB 3.0 ports :

3.1.2 USB 3.0 Hosts
    Introduction:
    An issue has been identified where the FT200XD will not enumerate when connected to certain USB 3.0 Hosts. So far FTDI have identified ONE such host.
    Problem:
    Certain USB 3.0 Hosts exhibit reduced reset recovery times after a USB reset, which can at times be faster or close to the USB 2.0 specification limit. The USB 2.0 specification states a USB reset recovery time of 10ms and in general almost all hosts allocate a much longer period than this. The FT200XD device may not enumerate if the reset recovery time is reduced.
    This issue has been seen on one USB 3.0 Host controller and has not been seen on a USB 2.0 Host controller or other USB 3.0 Host controllers.
    Workaround:
    Reconnect the device to a USB 2.0 host. This issue has been seen only on one particular USB 3.0 Host controllers.

I think most PCs only have some of the ports as USB 3.0 ?
  • RDL2004RDL2004 Posts: 2,554
    edited 2013-01-29 09:43
    Yes, so far most new computers have both. My new computer has 8 USB 3.0 and 6 USB 2.0. The USB 3.0 port should have a blue plastic insert in the center to differentiate it from a USB 2.0 receptacle.