Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
JD's Weather Station — Parallax Forums

JD's Weather Station

JDJD Posts: 570
edited 2022-11-01 20:06 in Customer Projects
Hello Builders,

It's JD again. I had a small situation with the phrase "playing during down time" that led to my Binary Project at work to come to an end. haha. So I gave it new parts and made it into my Weather Station for the house.

Basic Features:
Binary Clock
Digital Clock (12/24 hr)
Temperature
Humidity

For the weather sensors, I selected the Sensirion SHT1x sensor; it's great for accuracy and does well in the weather ranges I have seen. I used a regular plastic container that I had around the house for the general protection for the sensor. Updated the structural integrity (drilled some holes) and it was ready for action.

I had to move the sensor location because the first half of the day turned my protection container into an incubation chamber and gave wild readings; like 60's when it's 20's outside. I was able to apply the Keep Is Super Simple rule and just moved the sensor into the shade from the sun; it works perfectly.

I have got some more parts to add the wind gauge, rain collector, and eventually soil readings; but for now, it's a weather station for the kitchen. :)

~Enjoy

Comments

• MoskogMoskog Posts: 554
    edited 2013-01-04 05:55
    Why do you need a binary clock in the weather station? Or do you mean the RTC itself?
  • TtailspinTtailspin Posts: 1,326
    edited 2013-01-04 07:54
    Nice work JD, I really like the "Project Box" you chose, I get the best weather proofing with plastic containers like that.
    I had to move the sensor location because the first half of the day turned my protection container into an incubation chamber and gave wild readings; like 60's when it's 20's outside. I was able to apply the Keep Is Super Simple rule and just moved the sensor into the shade from the sun; it works perfectly.
    Yah, that might just happen with a black plastic container... :)

-Tommy
  • JDJD Posts: 570
    Moskog wrote: »
    Why do you need a binary clock in the weather station? Or do you mean the RTC itself?

Sorry KjellO for the delay, I guess I didn't sub when I made this thread. Well I built a Binary Clock to play with at work, but there was a change in ability so I had to make it into something else. So I added a couple sensors on it, and turned it into a weather station for the kitchen.

Ttailspin wrote: »
    Nice work JD, I really like the "Project Box" you chose, I get the best weather proofing with plastic containers like that.
    Yah, that might just happen with a black plastic container... :)

-Tommy

Thanks Tommy, I enjoyed builing it. My wife loved it for when she got ready for work, and could see what the weather was like before she stepped outside. Icey? kinda cold? wicked cold? Those are kinda the Colorado options for winter. haha
  • JD wrote: »
    Thanks Tommy, I enjoyed builing it. My wife loved it for when she got ready for work, and could see what the weather was like before she stepped outside. Icey? kinda cold? wicked cold? Those are kinda the Colorado options for winter. haha

Very nice and practical project. You should add that to the display " Icey, Cold or Wicked Cold" along with an RGB LED to indicate the temp state color.

JonM wrote: »
    JD wrote: »

Very nice and practical project. You should add that to the display " Icey, Cold or Wicked Cold" along with an RGB LED to indicate the temp state color.

Thanks, thas a pretty cool idea. I want to remake it anyways, it didin't survive the move from CO to MT. I have a uOLED and pack of WS2812B LEDs that I could do that very thing :cool:
  • Great Job. Thanks for sharing...
  • Moved to Customer Projects.
    Thanks Publison, I think these should be over here instead of Robotics. :)