Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Propeller Platform Express — Parallax Forums

Propeller Platform Express

RaymanRayman Posts: 13,897
edited 2013-02-09 15:18 in Propeller 1
Here's a new board I'm working on to continue what Jon Williams started, GadgetGangster ran with, and now Martin Hodge has perfected...

This is going to be less perfect than the DNA board...

It maybe has only one advantage and that is that it is done in ExpressPCB like the original.
I'll post the design files so you can easily make changes and get your own custom versions in just a few days from ExpressPCB for as little as $51.

It's mostly like the Propeller Platform USB, but has USB power, a microphone circuit, and spare EEPROM like the original. Here's a photo of the prototype, which seems to be working so far:

PPE_Proto1.jpg

Comments

• pgbpsupgbpsu Posts: 460
    edited 2012-12-22 17:50
    Hi Rayman-

I think this looks great. I always liked the Gadget Gangster platform. I think the USB power is a wonderful addition and you're willingness to post the ExpressPCB files is a great contribution to the community. I've build a couple "shields" for use with the original GG board based on Nick's published files. It's a great way to get started with circuit board layout without doing it from scratch. It allowed me to make something truly useful and custom in much less time than it would otherwise have taken.

Nice work and thanks.
  • RaymanRayman Posts: 13,897
    edited 2012-12-23 12:59
    Thanks pgbpsu !

I've just started a web page for it and posted the current design files here:
    http://www.rayslogic.com/Propeller/Products/PPE/PPE.htm
  • Martin HodgeMartin Hodge Posts: 1,246
    edited 2012-12-23 15:17
    It's good to have more PPs out there. It'll keep the format alive and the ExpressPCB aspect is a plus.
    edited 2012-12-23 16:38
    Thanks Martin, I really appreciate your support.
  • varnonvarnon Posts: 184
    edited 2012-12-27 03:59
    Pretty cool. I'm really glad this platform is still floating around. The more versions and supporters, the better.
  • doggiedocdoggiedoc Posts: 2,239
    edited 2012-12-27 04:43
    Nice! The USB power is a great enhancement! It's nice to not have to fumble around with external power for quick hacks/projects.

I do have one question though. How difficult is this board to complete at home using tonyp12's toaster oven technique?
    edited 2012-12-27 06:17
    Unless you have a stencil, I don't think an oven will save much time...

But, you could probably get a kapton stencil made for a reasonable price.
    I get stainless steel stencils, but they cost a lot...
  • doggiedocdoggiedoc Posts: 2,239
    edited 2012-12-27 06:43
    So it would be difficult. (For me, at least.)
    edited 2012-12-27 12:06
    It's really not too hard to solder these parts by hand with a good, fine tip soldering iron, some magnification (looks like you have that) and soldering wick. There are many YouTube videos out there to help (some by me).
  • Cats92Cats92 Posts: 149
    edited 2012-12-27 12:45
    Happy to see that.

I liked the Gadget Gangster Platform and used it many ears with groups of kids.

Building simple bots and teaching them a bit of electronic.

It is important to keep this format alive.

Easy to use and not too expensive it is the perfect tool for such beginners and to show what the Propeller can do.

I hope many shields (which have made the Arduino so attractive and well known) for this platform.

Jean Paul
  • JLockeJLocke Posts: 354
    edited 2012-12-30 23:21
    You can purchase mylar stencils from Pololu at reasonable prices ($25-$35), although I guess that's quite a bit for a one-off project.
    edited 2013-01-24 10:53
    I think I'm done testing and am ready to order the boards now...
    Only other major change I've made is to move the microphone closer to the pins that use it
    (it was picking up noise from other Prop pin traces).
    I've updated the product page with the latest design files.
    Taking a bit of a risk by ordering a lot of board when these changes haven't been tested...
    http://www.rayslogic.com/Propeller/Products/PPE/PPE.htm
    edited 2013-02-09 15:18
    Just finished some tests of a production board (design on webpage) and everything looks good so far :)
    Should be for sale very soon. I'm planning on leaving off the microphone circuit and the female headers.
    This way, I may be able to sell them for $34.99 with free USPS shipping.

I'm using the same microphone circuit like the Demo board. Tried using the circuit from the microphone datasheet
    with 2.2k resistor and 1u coupling capacitor, but couldn't make it work.
    I think I could make it work playing with the other values, but not sure if it's worth it...

Double checked my math and I think it might have to be $39.99...