Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Propeller Board of Educations being assembled on the Pick-n-Place - Page 2 — Parallax Forums

Propeller Board of Educations being assembled on the Pick-n-Place

Comments

• HShankoHShanko Posts: 402
    edited 2012-03-17 12:23
    Somehow I missed this thread. Probably while spending 8 days in hospital for pneumonia.

Hope 19 March is still the shipping date.

Fascinating to see the pic and place machine activity. So much faster than humans.

I don't think I "saw my board being assembled" but that is fine. Gonna be a long week for the Prop BOE to be delivered.

Thanks for the photos and video.
  • Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,386
    edited 2012-03-17 13:03
    Hey Harley - sorry to hear that you were sick with pneumonia and in the hospital. Physicians take it really seriously and for good reason, and thankfully it sounds like you're better now.

The first PropBOEs were ready to ship yesterday, Friday, so they'll be going out on Monday. The little snafu with the breadboards and lack of planning costs us a whole week.

We'll make it up to our customers, somehow.

Ken Gracey

Edit: Since you're probably being told to rest, rest, and rest, I'll ask Jim to find your PropBOE order and ship it UPS RED so you can spend your recovery time in a productive way.
  • PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2012-03-17 13:15
    HShanko wrote: »
    Somehow I missed this thread. Probably while spending 8 days in hospital for pneumonia.

Hope 19 March is still the shipping date.

Fascinating to see the pic and place machine activity. So much faster than humans.

I don't think I "saw my board being assembled" but that is fine. Gonna be a long week for the Prop BOE to be delivered.

Thanks for the photos and video.

Prayers on this end for getting better.

Jim
    edited 2012-03-17 16:12
    Thank all for the well wishes. Life is great being back home.

@ Ken, I don't need any special treatment, please. Impatience is hard to 'recover' from, that was all my bitching was about.
    edited 2012-03-17 17:46
    @ Ken,

1. Pizza cutter, really? I'd imagined a bandsaw setup.

2. Last photo, what does the "HELL" machine do?

3. Is the work done within Parallax plant or outside?

Great to see these photos of production. Thanks for any answers.
  • SRLMSRLM Posts: 5,045
    edited 2012-03-17 17:49
    @ Ken,

1. Pizza cutter, really? I'd imagined a bandsaw setup.

2. Last photo, what does the "HELL" machine do?

3. Is the work done within Parallax plant or outside?

Great to see these photos of production. Thanks for any answers.

2. IIRC that is the oven for baking the parts.
    3. That is at the Parallax Rocklin office.

ps: try to refrain from profanity...
  • 4x5n4x5n Posts: 745
    edited 2012-03-17 19:35
    Will the first batch cover all of the pre-orders? If not any idea of how long it'll be until they're all shipped? I ordered late and am looking forward to getting one.
  • Ron CzapalaRon Czapala Posts: 2,418
    edited 2012-03-17 21:12
    Ron,
    The final schematic will be posted at http://www.parallax.com/tabid/514/ProductID/805/Default.aspx when we ship the PropBOEs. There won't be any technical differences from the schematic at http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?137235#post1073589.

— David Carrier
    Parallax Inc.

David,
    Maybe I'm not looking at the schematic right, but in the video at 1min 49secs -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyR3f_bnKZg#t=1m49s
    Ken says pins 16 thru 21 are available on the header above the breadboard but page 21 of the schematic seems to show only 3,3v and 5v connections on J3.

Is J3 the female header above the breadboard (in the video)?

attachment.php?attachmentid=90776

PropBOE page2.jpg
    649 x 514 - 54K
    edited 2012-03-19 16:05
    Well, did any Propeller Board of Education get shipped today, 19 Mar.2012?

I'd not seen any reference to such happening. Hope UPS/FedEx is busy with them.
  • Ron CzapalaRon Czapala Posts: 2,418
    edited 2012-03-19 16:52
    Well, did any Propeller Board of Education get shipped today, 19 Mar.2012?

I'd not seen any reference to such happening. Hope UPS/FedEx is busy with them.

I got an email from UPS Quantum View - must be shipping!!

The Parallax Store shows 26 In Stock
  • 4x5n4x5n Posts: 745
    edited 2012-03-19 20:05
    I got an email earlier today letting me know my propboe has shipped! Unfortunately orders from Parallax take a long time for me to get!! They get shipped out nice and quick but UPS takes it's sweet time getting the orders to me because of how they route them. :-( Making matters worse UPS is scheduled to deliver it on friday which means I have to wait until monday to get it!!! Oh well, this is one of the few times I've been in a hurry to get something so it's never been an issue before.
    edited 2012-03-20 09:57
    What a surprise this morning. About 9:30 a.m. UPS drove up and SURPRISE!, I could see the box was marked Parallax.

Nice looking Prop BOE board. Unfortunately a doctor's appointment messes up my 'playing' with it much today. And that Veho speaker sure is smaller than I'd guessed it would be. Don't you ust love the smallness of some electronics? Well, except when, like keypads are too small for male hands.

Thank you Parallax for the Prop BOE. And thanks Ken for the speedy delivery of it..
  • PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2012-03-20 10:09
    What a surprise this morning. About 9:30 a.m. UPS drove up and SURPRISE!, I could see the box was marked Parallax.

Nice looking Prop BOE board. Unfortunately a doctor's appointment messes up my 'playing' with it much today. And that Veho speaker sure is smaller than I'd guessed it would be. Don't you ust love the smallness of some electronics? Well, except when, like keypads are too small for male hands.

Thank you Parallax.

Great news!

I'm sure Ken had your name on the first one out. :)

Get well soon!

Jim
    edited 2012-03-20 10:20
    Thanks Jim.

Yes,, I'd asked Ken for no special attention for my Prop BOE, but that was out of my control.

Health-wise I'm doing quite well now. So other nagging matters to attend to though. LIFE!
  • Al BoothAl Booth Posts: 137
    edited 2012-03-20 11:32
    My Prop BOE arrived this morning. No special attention, just close to Parallax.

Looks great. Only have time now to flash some LED's for now, but that worked.

(The older I get, the smaller the chips get. I would never try to hand solder this.)

Looks like the microphone moved from the board used in Ken's video, plus a few other minor changes.

Congratulations to the design team. There are lots of features for such a small board.

Al
  • rogersydrogersyd Posts: 222
    edited 2012-03-20 14:13
    AAGGGGHHHH shipping takes FOREVER to reach Connecticut. NOT FAIR!
  • rokickirokicki Posts: 1,000
    edited 2012-03-21 11:00
    Got mine, looks great!

I'm wondering if there's a schematic online; I haven't been able to find one in a little bit of browsing.

So many possibilities with this board, right on the board!

-tom
  • Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2012-03-21 11:05
    Mine should arrive today. If I'd only known about the pneumonia trick. . .

(I am glad you're feeling better Harley.)
  • mindrobotsmindrobots Posts: 6,506
    edited 2012-03-21 11:56
    I have no word on mine - hopefully a pleasant surprise is in store!

Glad you're on the mend, Harley!
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2012-03-21 12:30
    rokicki wrote:
    I'm wondering if there's a schematic online; I haven't been able to find one in a little bit of browsing.
    The schematic will be posted on the Propeller Board of Education product page on Wednesday, February 15th.
    I forgot to look on the 15th. Maybe it came down again on the 16th? :)

"Preliminary schematic" posted by David Carrier on 10 February:

We have lots more draft material in the queue. It needs adjustment to schematics, drawings and code due to some late breaking changes in the board design, and an editing pass too.

That's all I've been able to find, so far.

'Got my board today. It really looks nice! Congrats to Parallax and everyone who was involved in the project!

-Phil
    edited 2012-03-21 12:52
    Mine should arrive today. If I'd only known about the pneumonia trick. . .

(I am glad you're feeling better Harley.)

Thanks, Duane. Yep, but a costly way to do it (Haven't yet seen the ambulance, hospital and taxi (to get back home) bills yet. Plus, follow-up doctor expenses. Nope, don't try this at home!

Anyone, on the Prop BOE solder side, what are the bare copper 'pads' for (testpoints?)?

I like all the Parallax 'notations' on the back. In case of trouble, just contact the web site, email, or phone (Parallax) home.
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2012-03-21 12:55
    HShanko wrote:
    Anyone, on the Prop BOE solder side, what are the bare copper 'pads' for (testpoints?)?
    Surface-mount pads for user-added components.

-Phil
    edited 2012-03-21 13:09
    Thanks, Duane. Yep, but a costly way to do it (Haven't yet seen the ambulance, hospital and taxi (to get back home) bills yet. Plus, follow-up doctor expenses. Nope, don't try this at home!

I like all the Parallax 'notations' on the back. In case of trouble, just contact the web site, email, or phone (Parallax) home.

I just received my board. I should have taken a picture of the back. I see it says "Surface Mount Playground".

Here's the front.

attachment.php?attachmentid=90863&d=1332360429

Oh cool, they have a forum! That should be fun.
    1024 x 944 - 185K
    edited 2012-03-21 14:01
    There's a lot of components and action on that board, Duane. I don't even have one of these yet - I have only an assortment of prototypes with various issues and missing parts.

After the dust clears I'll wander back to the warehouse and retrieve one or two from inventory. Gotta watch our weight working in the candy factory, however. The fact that many people are building ELEV-8s at Parallax is proof of strong temptation!

I think we better put some of these in the UPEW/PEXPO raffle prize box.

The PropBOE will be my new standard platform for quick projects.

Ken Gracey
  • Al BoothAl Booth Posts: 137
    edited 2012-03-21 14:14
    Andy Lindsay gave an excellent overview of the PropBOE at the October Propeller Meetup. He also discussed the "surface mount playground" on page 9.
    edited 2012-03-21 14:30
    And I came across the following today. Although it's in our documentation it's certainly worth presenting on the forums as a consolidated view:

PropBOEDiagram.jpg
    1024 x 849 - 148K
    edited 2012-03-21 14:37
    I'm starting to wonder if P20 and P21 are connected to anything?

Here's the back of the board. The missing pads are where P20 and P21 would have been.

Poor pins 20 and 21. They don't get to have any fun.:frown: Edit: As Gordon pointed out in post #61, P20 and P21 are used with the mic.

attachment.php?attachmentid=90868&d=1332365798
    835 x 546 - 1M
    edited 2012-03-21 14:48
    Thanks Ken,

That provides good detail for this board. Takes some of the mystery out of this 'busy' board.
  • tdlivingstdlivings Posts: 437
    edited 2012-03-21 14:51
    Got mine in Michigan at 4:30pm today, USPS Priority .
    It left Parallax on Mon 19th
    Very quick by USPS in getting it here that fast.
    I have a SparkFun order also shipped on Mon 19th but UPS ground will
    not bring that untile end of day Friday.

Tom
  • GordonMcCombGordonMcComb Posts: 3,366
    edited 2012-03-21 15:17
    Duane Degn wrote: »
    I'm starting to wonder if P20 and P21 are connected to anything?

Here's the back of the board. The missing pads are where P20 and P21 would have been.

Poor pins 20 and 21. They don't get to have any fun.

They're for the mic circuit.

The boards Ken and I have don't have this circuit. So WE'RE the ones you don't get to have any fun. (Actually, I shouldn't speak for Ken. He might have a later model than I have. Still, the board is 98% functional even several prototypes ago. That's pretty good for beta hardware.)

The fact that pads for P20/P21 are lacking even on the back might have to do with things like stray capacitance. On the protos I have the SMT pads for 20 and 21 are there on the back. The labels are also in the latest schematic, but hidden. Dan Brown should write a book about this mystery...

-- Gordon