Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Download PropBASIC here... 00.01.14 LAST VERSION FOR BST - Page 26 — Parallax Forums

Download PropBASIC here... 00.01.14 LAST VERSION FOR BST

Comments

• FriedVFriedV Posts: 77
    edited 2011-08-01 14:36
    FriedV wrote: »
    Hi,
    I'm new here and just want to say hello!
    I live in Germany and have quite some experience with the Atmel AVR hard- and software. The Parallax chip is very interesting, I'm beginning to build my IDE around PropBasic and Edit+. It works, but I would like to have the same behaviour than the BST IDE, the ouput pane should just show the compiler errors and jump to the offending line by double clicking it. What compile switch and/or output pattern do I need to achieve this?

Problem solved with a batch file:

@echo off
    PropBasic-bst %1.pbas /q
    more %1.err

and the regular expressions for the output
    in edit+:

(ERROR,+([^,]+),+([0-9]+))

File: None (or Tagged Expression 2)
    Line: Tagged Expression 3
    Column: None
  • TuxFanGKRTuxFanGKR Posts: 15
    edited 2011-08-06 07:38
    Hello,
    after installing the new PropBasic-compiler, I suddenly had problems with compiling a PropBasic-program. The time for the compilation went from a few seconds to several minutes. I tested a couple other programs from the PBAS-DEMO and there was the same problem with the program DS18B20.pbas. Meanwhile, I was able to identify the problem. The new compiler has problems with multiplication. The compilation is slow but the result is correct and the program runs without error. It may be that it is my development environment: Asus 1005h netbook with Ubuntu 10.04 and BST 0.19.3/PropBasic 00.01.14-79.
    Excerpt from DS18B20.pbas (problem in line 4) :
    temp = value / 16 ' Get whole value
    tempWhole = STR temp, 4, 7 ' Signed leading spaces, no zero terminator
    temp = value AND 15 ' Get fractional value
    temp = temp * 625 ' 10000 / 16
    tempFrac = STR temp, 4, 4 ' Unsigned leading zeros, no zero terminator
    In my own program, problems occur in line 3 and 5.
    DO
    RDLONG laddr,lperc
    'tmp1 = lperc * 100
    tmp2 = 100 - lperc
    'tmp3 = 100 * tmp2
    HIGH LCD_LED
    PAUSEUS tmp1
    LOW LCD_LED
    PAUSEUS tmp2
    LOOP
    The problematic lines marked with comment tags and the compilation runs in normal speed.
    The time delay occurs at the beginning of the compilation before BST displays a message.

PS.:

So now I have used an additional variable and assigns it a value of 100 and then I used the variable in the equations. Now the compilation works as fast as usual.
    laddr VAR LONG
    lperc VAR LONG
    tmp1 VAR LONG
    tmp2 VAR LONG
    tmp3 VAR LONG
    tmp4 VAR LONG = 100
    laddr = GETADDR ledpercent

DO
    RDLONG laddr,lperc
    tmp1 = lperc * tmp4
    tmp2 = tmp4 - lperc
    tmp3 = tmp4 * tmp2
    HIGH LCD_LED
    PAUSEUS tmp1
    LOW LCD_LED
    PAUSEUS tmp2
    LOOP

With kind regards
    G
  • andre.nieuwoudtandre.nieuwoudt Posts: 65
    edited 2011-08-07 07:49
    Hi Bean, Brad,

I am also getting a very slow compiler response with version 1.14 on Windows 7. Seems to happen when you multiply a variable with a value.

Regards
    Andre
    edited 2011-08-21 08:51
    Hi Bean,
    I've tried to reproduce one of the first spin programs out of the "Programming & customizing the multicore propeller...".
    It uses 4 cogs total, blinks leds in parallel with different timing.
    I'm wondering if this is the right way to do it in PropBasic (best practice?)
    Why are the pause statement necessary after the COGSTART statement? If I omit them only the last cog is started.
    Also the COGSTOP statement is necessary, otherwise the cogs will loop forever?
    Many thanks for your help, Fried
    ' ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    ' File......    Multi_Flash_Led.pbas
    ' Author....    fgvissel    21.08.2011

' ----- Device Settings ------------------------------------------------
        DEVICE P8X32A, XTAL1, PLL16X
        XIN 5_000_000

' ----- Conditional Compilation Symbols --------------------------------

' ----- Constants ------------------------------------------------------
        Rt CON 3            'For the I/O Pins
        Gn CON 4
        Ge CON 5
    ' ----- IO Pins --------------------------------------------------------

' ----- Shared (HUB) Variables (Byte, Word, Long) ----------------------
        Hubled        HUB LONG
        HubDur        HUB LONG
        HubCnt        HUB LONG

' ----- User Data (DATA, WDATA, LDATA, FILE) ---------------------------

' ----- TASK Definitions -----------------------------------------------
        Flash_Task TASK

' ----- Local Variables (LONG only) ------------------------------------

' ----- SUB and FUNC Definitions ---------------------------------------

PROGRAM Start

Start:
        ' setup code

Main:
            WRLONG HubLed, Rt                'Blink Leds simultanously
            WRLONG HubDur, 30
            WRLONG HubCnt, 10
            COGSTART Flash_Task
            Pause 1                                ' <------------- Won't work without this pause, WHY ??????????
            wrlong hubled, Gn
            wrlong hubdur, 15
            wrlong hubcnt, 20
            cogstart flash_task
            pause 1                                ' <------------- Won't work without this pause, WHY ??????????
            wrlong hubled, Ge
            wrlong hubdur, 7
            wrlong hubcnt, 30
            cogstart flash_task
            END

' ----- SUB and FUNC Code ----------------------------------------------

' ----- TASK Code ------------------------------------------------------
        TASK Flash_Task

Flash_LED SUB 3

LocLed VAR LONG
            LocDur VAR LONG
            LocCnt VAR LONG

RDLONG HubLed,LocLed
            RDLONG HubDur,LocDur
            RDLONG HubCnt,LocCnt
            Flash_Led LocLed, LocDur, LocCnt

COGSTOP            '<--------------- Without this, Cogs loop forever ???????????????????????

SUB Flash_LED                            ' Flash led on Pin for Duration(msec) 
                                                                ' a total of Count times
            time                VAR LONG
            duration        VAR LONG
            wcnt                VAR LONG
            loopcnt            VAR LONG

time = cnt                                                    'Get time for sync
            RDLONG 0,duration
            duration = duration / 100                        'duration = 1msec
            duration = duration * __param2            'duration = __param2 msecs
            loopcnt = __param3 * 2                            'Blink __param3 times
            wcnt = time + duration
            OUTPUT __param1                                            'Set Pin to Output
            DO
                WAITCNT wcnt, duration
                TOGGLE __param1
                LOOP loopcnt
            INPUT __param1                                            'Free Pin for other Tasks, Cogs
            ENDSUB
        ENDTASK

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2011-08-21 09:03
    The cogstart only initiates the start of a cog. It takes about 100us for the task's code to load into the cog and for the cog to actually start running. All this takes place while the original cog continues to run (in parallel). The PAUSE allows the new cog to start running.

Yes, you need something to either stop the task's cog (cogstop) or some kind of infinite loop for the cog to execute. There's no way to return from a cogstart and there's nothing automatically compiled that will stop the cog at the end of the task's code.
    edited 2011-08-21 10:40
    Thx very much, Mike.
    So when I want to start Taks in different cogs in a deterministic way I need to sync them at the beginning of the task, with some kind of semaphore?
    Init them, go into a waiting loop and then run if a pin or a Hub VAR assumes a certain state?
    Does a task in a cog lives there permanently or ist it reloaded with every cogstart?
    Regards, Fried
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2011-08-21 11:21
    There are several ways to sync cogs. The video drivers work by taking the system clock value (CNT) and adding some amount of time to it that's large enough that all the cogs will finish their initialization within the time interval, then all of the cogs use WAITCNT to wait for that time to occur. When the WAITCNTs finish, all of the cogs continue executing at the same time and move forward in lockstep..

You can use semaphores (LOCKxxx) for synchronization if you want. For this kind of simple semaphore use, you can just use a hub byte as you mentioned.

The cogstart statement uses the COGINIT instruction to start the task and sets the bit that causes the Propeller to use the next available (stopped) cog for the task. The task will continue to run in that cog until it stops itself. If you do another cogstart, you'll start up another cog with the same code. Eventually, you'll run out of cogs. You can issue a COGINIT instruction that reuses a specific cog. I'm not sure how to do that in PropBasic without using assembly language though. That form of the COGINIT instruction is not commonly used. It's too easy to get the cog number wrong and try to reuse the wrong cog.
  • jonesjones Posts: 281
    edited 2011-09-10 17:09
    Hi All -

I'm a little confused about the operation of the clock. My application uses an external oscillator (VCXO), and I'm getting some confusing behavior. I was using a 40 MHz VCXO, and this worked fine:

DEVICE P8X32A, XINPUT
    XIN 40_000_000

I decided the program could benefit from a bit more speed, but I couldn't find a cheap 80 MHz VCXO. I did find a 4.096 MHz VCXO so I decided to use it and let the PLL multiply it up to 65.536 MHz. So, I tried the same code with the appropriate frequency change, but no dice. Here's a little test program to illustrate:

'DEVICE P8X32A, XINPUT, PLL16X
    'XIN 4_096_000

XIN 4_096_000

LED PIN 9 OUTPUT

PROGRAM Start

Start:
    TOGGLE LED
    PAUSE 500
    GOTO Start

As it is, the code works fine and the LED toggles at the correct 1 Hz rate. If I use the commented declaration, which is the one I'd expect to use, the PLL doesn't work and the code runs at 1/16 the expected speed. I can't find anything that suggests that the PLL only works with a crystal but not an oscillator, and in fact it does work with the VCXO, I just have to tell the compiler there's a crystal there (The Xo pin is open). Am I misunderstanding how this is supposed to work?
  • kuronekokuroneko Posts: 3,623
    edited 2011-09-10 17:22
    jones wrote: »
    I can't find anything that suggests that the PLL only works with a crystal but not an oscillator, and in fact it does work with the VCXO, I just have to tell the compiler there's a crystal there (The Xo pin is open). Am I misunderstanding how this is supposed to work?
    Looks like bst doesn't handle/compile XINPUT|PLL16X as expected ($67), it simply ignores the PLL part ($22). As a quick fix I'd suggest saving the resulting SPIN file and compile it with the proptool.
  • jonesjones Posts: 281
    edited 2011-09-10 17:51
    Thanks, that worked.

I looked at the assembler output thinking there might be an issue, but was having trouble making sense out of the _clkmode constant. I obviously need to spend more time in the Prop manual.
  • DL7PNPDL7PNP Posts: 18
    edited 2011-11-11 10:57
    Hey,

i'm using PropBasic and its really great!
    But i've a problem with Data (LDATA) (Thats stored in the hub, right? so i can use values > 511)

The following code dont works (latest version of PropBasic and bst):
    waittime LDATA 104160, 109368, 119784

The asm output is:
    DAT
    __DATASTART
    WAITTIME
                     LONG 

but without any data!

Any ideas?

Thanks,
    Pascal
  • Christof Eb.Christof Eb. Posts: 1,087
    edited 2011-11-11 11:26
    Hi Pascal,
    I have used LDATA and it was OK. I have to admit with numbers only up to 6999. Perhaps the problem is in the code nearby?
    Best regards and good luck((from Esslingen))
    Christof
  • DL7PNPDL7PNP Posts: 18
    edited 2011-11-11 11:48
    Thank you!

i tried this:
    waittime LDATA 510, 511, 512, 1234, 100

and get
    DAT
    __DATASTART
    WAITTIME
                     LONG 510,511,100

(no error in my code, because this is the result of "Compile Basic to Spin")

so any number > 511 will NOT processed :/ But LDATA should use longs and they are (much) greater than 511.

Can you post a part of your code with LDATA? Wich version of PropBasic and BST do you use?
    Any other idea?

Many greetings (from Wolfsburg :smile:)
    Pascal
    edited 2011-11-11 15:06
    Hi to Wolfsburg from Recklinghausen!
    Fried
  • VonSzarvasVonSzarvas Posts: 3,273
    edited 2012-03-05 06:10
    Bean wrote:
    Version 00.01.13 Optimized: WRLONG, WRWORD, WRBYTE (don't reload short constants)
    Added: "STACK value" to change stack size (defaults to 16) (4 to 255 allowed)
    NOTE: STACK only affects LMM code

May I ask how STACK affects LMM code ? What is happening in "laymans terms" ?
    Sorry, but I am struggling to get my head around the matter!

To also mention why I ask, should it be relevant... I have a 16Kb buffer which I populate with data, and verify it is correct, but then later in the program try to read it back and it's all gone to zeros. I have not accessed that HUB buffer since, but perhaps due to stack settings with the LMM it's getting overwritten? Just a guess as I scratch around for ideas!
  • BeanBean Posts: 8,129
    edited 2012-03-05 07:13
    Maxwin,
    The STACK in LMM is the depth of the call stack.
    When using LMM the compiler uses a call stack to store the return address for calls. This is faster than modifying the return program location (since the return program location is stored in the HUB in LMM).

The stack is in COG RAM, it should have no effect on HUB RAM at all.

Bean
    edited 2012-03-05 07:36
    do you have any tips for sizing the stack with PropBasic? In case that is appropriate, I have downloaded the Parallax Semi stack app note to read tonight ( http://www.parallaxsemiconductor.com/sites/default/files/appnotes/AN019-StackSpace-v1.0_1.pdf ).

about the code error, I will continue to try and solve it and post later. In the other thread you mentioned a call for other things to add to the next revision. maybe this is something to wait for... I will try to solve it a quickly as possible.

Big thank you as always - especially for keeping PropBasic alive when the incentive might wear thin at times.
    edited 2012-03-05 07:46
    The stack in PropBasic is not the same as the stack in spin. In spin the stack is used for a lot of data storage. In PropBasic the stack is used ONLY for return addresses.

Unless you are using recursion the default STACK will be fine. If you are using recursion (only possible in LMM) then the stack must be at least as large as the deepest level of recursion possible.

Bean
    edited 2012-03-05 07:56
    By recursion in this situation, you mean calling a SUB or FUNC from another SUB or FUNC, or at least multiple nested calls.. So if I call 4 subs deep from the main code, then I need a stack of 4...

And is that relevant at the moment they are called, or for the entire compiled code.

So if I have 2 sub routines, which each call another sub, which then call another sub.
    ... I think that means I have 2 sub routines each requiring stack of 3.. But they are called one after another, not at the same time. So would I need stack of 3 or 6 in this case ? (If I have the explanation right?!)
    edited 2012-03-05 08:09
    Right, you only need be concerned with the deepest possible nesting in the whole program.
    You could have 1,000 different calls that nest 3 deep, and one that nests 5 deep and you would require a stack of only 5 for the whole program.

P.S. Recursion where when a SUB or FUNC calls itself. Without local variables this is rarely done in PropBasic.

Bean
    edited 2012-03-05 08:17
    OK, makes sense to me now. thank you.

just to tidy up the end of the topic... would the compiler throw an error if the STACK was set too low ? Or otherwise, how could the problem of too small a stack be recognised (I mean before total system failure!!) ?
    edited 2012-03-05 08:19
    ah, just tried to compile with stack set lower than 4, and compiler throws an error... Is that a hard coded minimum, or does that mean "my code" needs a stack bigger than 4? in that case, I answered myself!!
    edited 2012-03-05 09:36
    Maxwin,
    There is no way for the compiler to "know" how big the stack needs to be.
    The lower limit of 4 is hard coded into the compiler.

If the stack is set too low, yes bad things will start happening. Like constants changing their value...Really fun stuff to try to debug.

Bean
    edited 2012-03-05 11:31
    Bean, back to the previous problem if I may seek your advice...
    ... I have a 16Kb buffer which I populate with data, and verify it is correct, but then later in the program try to read it back and it's all gone to zeros...

I tried a much smaller buffer size (200 bytes) and it keeps the data. I tried randomly larger sizes, but above 200 bytes it seems to fail, so I was thinking it might be a hub space issue. But if I set the buffer size to a crazy high value, then the compiler fails and tells me to keep within 32k. So it would not seem logical that I have a problem with an oversized buffer as the compiler would catch that?...

..hmm,,.,. Is it possible that I recall some old recommendations about the importance of the order in which HUB (and perhaps even local) variables/constants are declared? Perhaps concerning size or variable type order? I'm using (LOADing) 2 or 3 libraries and a couple of tasks too, which have there own CON, VAR, HUB and PIN deifinitions. Could that be an issue- should those lib/task variables/etc.. be defined in the main cog to ensure they are compiled to the right place in the .spin file?

Something rings a small bell, but the dust is too thick on that part of my mind...

Info: BST reported data: Program=5763 Longs, Stack/Free=2425 Longs (I'm coding/compiling with ViewPort, but that doesn't report program size AFAIK)
    edited 2012-03-05 13:12
    Solved ! :smile:

It would seem the issue was TIMING.

I had 3 cogs all "doing stuff" with HUB variables, so perhaps the hub queue was overloaded?

One of the cogs was not doing timing-critical stuff, so I added a short pause (200 ms) at the end of its task loop and the problem is solved.

So the moral of the story.... if your program is behaving in an unexplainable way.... could be the HUB getting deadlocked.

:thumb:
  • Dr_AculaDr_Acula Posts: 5,484
    edited 2012-03-23 05:18
    Hi Bean,

I've got some boards on the way soon for a touchscreen and the memory access is going to be fairly fast - I wonder if propbasic could run on this in XMM mode?

Let's take this
    XIN 5_000_000
    PROGRAM Start LMM

A VAR __param1

Start:
    FOR A = 1 TO 3
    NEXT
    Goto Start

and it compiles to this
    '{$BST PATH C:\Propeller\propbasic}
    ''  *** COMPILED WITH PropBasic VERSION 00.01.14  July 26, 2011 ***

CON                                                          'DEVICE P8X32A, XTAL1, PLL16X
      _ClkMode = XTAL1 + PLL16X                                 

_XInFreq = 5000000                                         'XIN 5_000_000

PUB __Program                                                'PROGRAM Start LMM
      __OFFSET := @__Init                                       
      CogInit(0, @_LMM_Entry, @__DATASTART)                     

DAT                                                         
                      org           0                           
    __Init                                                      
    __RAM                                                       
                      mov           dira,__InitDirA             
                      mov           outa,__InitOutA             
                      rdlong        __PC,__PC                   
                      long          @@@Start                    

' A VAR __param1                                             'A VAR __param1

Start                                                        'Start:

mov           A,#1                         'FOR A = 1 TO 3
    __FOR_A_1                                                   

adds          A,#1                         'NEXT
                      cmps          A,#3 WZ, WC                 
        IF_BE         rdlong        __PC,__PC                   
                      long          @@@__FOR_A_1                
    __NEXT_A_1                                                  

rdlong        __PC,__PC                    'Goto Start
                      long          @@@Start                    

DAT                                                         
      '-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      'LMM Execution code                                       
      ' -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ORG 0                                                     

_LMM_Entry                                                  
                      mov           __PC,__OFFSET               

_LMM_LOOP                                                   
                      rdlong        __INSTR1,__PC               
                      add           __PC,#4                     
    __INSTR1                                                    
                      nop           ' Placeholder for LMM instruction

rdlong        __INSTR2,__PC               
                      add           __PC,#4                     
    __INSTR2                                                    

rdlong        __INSTR3,__PC               
                      add           __PC,#4                     
    __INSTR3                                                    

rdlong        __INSTR4,__PC               
                      add           __PC,#4                     
    __INSTR4                                                    

jmp           #_LMM_LOOP                  

_LMM_JUMP                                                   
                      rdlong        __PC,__PC                   
                      jmp           #_LMM_LOOP                  

_LMM_CALL                                                   
                      movd          $+2,__STACKPTR              
                      add           __STACKPTR,#1               
                      mov           0-0,__PC                    
                      rdlong        __PC,__PC                   
                      jmp           #_LMM_LOOP                  

_LMM_RET                                                    
                      sub           __STACKPTR,#1               
                      movs          $+2,__STACKPTR              
                      mov           __PC,#4                     
                      add           __PC,0-0                    
                      jmp           #_LMM_LOOP                  

_LMM_MOVS                                                   
                      rdlong        __MOVS,__PC                 
                      movs          __MOVS,__INDEX              
                      add           __PC,#4                     
    __MOVS                                                      
                      jmp           #_LMM_LOOP                  

_LMM_MOVD                                                   
                      rdlong        __MOVD,__PC                 
                      movd          __MOVD,__INDEX              
                      add           __PC,#4                     
    __MOVD                                                      
                      jmp           #_LMM_LOOP                  

'             Variables for LMM execution code
    __INDEX          LONG 0  ' Used by MOVS and MOVD            
    __OFFSET         LONG 0-0' Set by spin                      
    __PC             LONG 0  ' Program counter                  
    __STACKPTR       LONG __STACK  ' Stack pointer              
    __STACK          LONG 0[16] ' Return stack                  
    '**********************************************************************
    __InitDirA       LONG %00000000_00000000_00000000_00000000
    __InitOutA       LONG %00000000_00000000_00000000_00000000
    _FREQ            LONG 80000000

__remainder
    __temp1          RES 1
    __temp2          RES 1
    __temp3          RES 1
    __temp4          RES 1
    __temp5          RES 1
    A
    __param1         RES 1
    __param2         RES 1
    __param3         RES 1
    __param4         RES 1
    __paramcnt       RES 1

FIT 492

CON
      LSBFIRST                         = 0
      MSBFIRST                         = 1
      MSBPRE                           = 0
      LSBPRE                           = 1
      MSBPOST                          = 2
      LSBPOST                          = 3

DAT
    __DATASTART

I think the relevant code is in the LMM load loop
                      add           __PC,#4

for XMM the rdlong is replaced with ?6 lines of code. Two ram chips in parallel so data is two bytes at once.

fetch a word, toggle counter pin, shift left 16 bits, fetch word, logical or with first word, toggle counter pin

I think there might need to be a mask in there somewhere too.

I'm wondering about the time it takes to fetch an instruction vs the time it takes to process that instruction. Would replacing the rdlong with 6 pasm instructions be too much of a performance hit?
    edited 2012-03-23 05:35
    Dr_Acula,
    I think it would be useful. Just thinking off-the-cuff you would remove the four RDLONG, ADD, NOP sequences with something like:
    Assuming the data is on pins 0 thru 15
      mov temp,ina
      xor outa,counterpin
      shl temp,#16
      mov __INSTR,ina
      and __INSTR,_65535
      or __INSTR,temp
      xor outa,counterpin
    __INSTR nop

This would be 8 times slower than native code. Which is pretty good considering.

How do you change the address to implement GOTOs and such ?

Bean
    edited 2012-03-23 15:14
    Good to hear. Schematic attached. Ignore the TV/VGA/Keyboard part, and also ignore the 40 pin touchscreen socket.

So there is one 138 decoder chip, five 161 counter chips and two memory chips.

P0-P15 are a 16 bit data bus.

The 161 counters count when propeller pin P16 is toggled.

Load the 161 counters with a new start value by selecting /load low via P25,P26 and P27. The value for this is 001. So to load the counter, P25 high, P26 and P27 low, put the value on prop pins P0-P18, then P25,26,27 all high. Reloading the 161 will be when there is a goto, gosub or a write to a memory location. Most of the time though the program proceeds in a linear fashion so all you are doing is counting.

Memory chip /CS when P25 low, P26 high, P27 low.
    Memory chip /RD is P19
    Memory chip /WR is P20

If you were reading the chip (ie most of the time it is a read) then P19 stays low.

For your code, counterpin is P16. It counts on the positive edge, so would stay high most of the time, then to count, make it low then high.

Where you xor the pin, does that toggle it or just change its state?

Also, where you read in a number of rdlongs in sequence
    _LMM_LOOP                                                   
                      add           __PC,#4                     
    __INSTR1                                                    

rdlong        __INSTR2,__PC               
                      add           __PC,#4                     
    __INSTR2                                                    

rdlong        __INSTR3,__PC               
                      add           __PC,#4                     
    __INSTR3                                                    

rdlong        __INSTR4,__PC               
                      add           __PC,#4                     
    __INSTR4                                                    

Do you always read in four longs in sequence?

If so, then if you replaced this with XMM, does this mean that you only need to do one
    add           __PC,#4 

and change the #4 to #16 (or are there situations where you jump to, say __INSTR3 from somewhere else?)
    edited 2012-03-23 19:26
    I only use four RDLONGs to make it run LMM faster. If you only use 1 RDLONG in the loop you will always miss the hub window.
    Since there is no hub window with XMM, you can just have 1 in your loop.

xor changes the state of the pin from "high to low" or from "low to high"

You shouldn't need to adjust __PC because the hardware keeps track of the address. We really don't need to know what it is...

Bean

P.S. I just realized that we need to toggle the counter pin TWICE for each instruction...
    __NEXT
      xor outa,counterpin ' low
      mov temp,ina
      xor outa,counterpin ' high (new data bits)
      shl temp,#16
      mov __INSTR,ina
      xor outa,counterpin ' low
      and __INSTR,_65535
      or __INSTR,temp
      xor outa,counterpin ' high (new data bits)
    __INSTR
      nop

This would run XMM code at 1.8M IPS with a 80Mhz clock...

I'm sure there is probably some tricks to reduce the instructions, but I can't think of any right now...

Oh, you could propbably setup a counter or the video hardware to toggle the counter pin. That would get you down to 7 instructions in the loop or 2.85M IPS.

Bean
    edited 2012-03-23 19:45
    Thanks Bean - I'll hopefully be able to get this going when the board arrives in the next week or so. :)