Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
"Halo"....... Robot using Hacked Wii-mote Camera / laser scanner — Parallax Forums

"Halo"....... Robot using Hacked Wii-mote Camera / laser scanner

GarethGareth Posts: 278
edited 2011-12-07 01:10 in Propeller 1
I present "Halo" ..... my latest Laser Robot scanning system.

HaloMugLMR.jpg?

Its been almost a year now that i have had the idea to cast some form of "Halo" around a robot and detect the reflected signal.

[video=youtube_share;mgrWN6PrN0Q]
[video=youtube_share;KhhNyPzmRZA]

Then after playing with some motor driven angled mirrors and lasers .....
..... the idea came..... narrow down the resulting Laser circle and beam it around the Robot........
Halo 004.jpg

I placed a Wii-Camera on the construction to capture the laser circle.....YAY.

The Hacked Wii-Camera is able to track the Laser at a good speed, although slower is better.

When the laser beam is broken by an object or a "cliff" then it possible to detect a break in the circle picked up by the Wii-Camera.
Halo0000.jpg

Left is low resolution mode approx 120 points Right is high resolution mode approx 1024 points

Halo 009.jpg
Halo 010.jpg

This is just the start of a whole new concept for me..... still much processing to deal with.
The laser "Halo" system by my current ballpark calculation provides a 360° sweep circa 1024 points.

5mw Red laser works best.......
Pulsing the laser on and off gives a better environment for the wii-camera........

...... the wii camera works best when it can see single spots of light........pulsing the laser on and off provides this.....
Gives an interesting optical effect and shows how you can adjust the resolution by software.
It also speeds up the sampling time.
IMG_1812_1_.jpg
IMG_1809_1_.jpg

The Xmas bauble acts like a mirror / wide angle lens (its red colour helps to filter out none red colours :-)
and picks up the relected laser ring off the floor.
Halo 011.jpg

Now it turns out that a Red Xmas bauble can reduce the height of the laser pole YAY.
laser Circle still projected onto floor from above .... then Wii-Camera mounted on robot looking up at a Xmas Bauble.
The speed of the laser circle should be kept low......the wii camera can only track well at low speeds......

Halo 008.jpg

Thats the story so far - the robot tracked vehicle works ....
.. now its only a case of squeezing code from two propeller systems into one ....

The Wii code making it all possible is from Graham Stablers which can be found here Wiimote IR blob tracking camera

Comments