Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
New Book - Propeller Education Kit Labs: Fundamentals — Parallax Forums

New Book - Propeller Education Kit Labs: Fundamentals

edited 2014-04-05 11:58 in Propeller 1
Hi Folks,

Thanks to all of you who submitted suggestions and requests for the individually posted Propeller Education (PE) Kit Labs.· We have now compiled them into a book that will be released as a printed text early next year.· The book includes updated versions of all the labs along with front matter and some introductions.· Here are links to the full .pdf text and zipped source code:

Propeller Education Kit Labs - Fundamentals
···· Full Text (.pdf)···· Source Code (.zip)

Please send feedback/suggestions to editor@parallax.com.· You·can also contact me directly·using·the PM or email buttons to the left of this post.

Have a great New Year everyone!

Regards, Andy

P.S. There are some references to a couple of web PE Kit applications that have not been posted yet in the book.· They will be out soon, definitely before the printed text is released.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
Andy Lindsay

Education Department
Parallax, Inc.

Post Edited (Andy Lindsay (Parallax)) : 12/26/2008 11:14:22 PM GMT

Comments

• daniel dingdaniel ding Posts: 52
    edited 2011-05-24 19:31
    hi Andy, I got a trouble in using PEkit. the detail is troubleshooting entry(9) on page 43. after changing code to pll8x LED flash,but changing back to pll16x it dosen't work. why?
  • RaymanRayman Posts: 13,800
    edited 2011-05-24 19:59
    Andy,

Things like this is why I love Parallax! Even though I was trained as an EE, I had no idea how to work with microcontrollers at first, and very nice examples like these you' ve provided are defininetly the key to getting started. I think with normal places, you'd have to buy the book to get the code, and I'm very grateful to you and Parallax for providing it for free here.
    I think it will get many more people into this world...

Ray

Ok, I was up late that thought this was a new post!
    Sorry Daniel, I hope somebody gets to your question
  • RaymanRayman Posts: 13,800
    edited 2011-05-25 05:48
    Daniel, Sorry if my late night love note distracted from your question to this old thread...

Can you please post the code you're having trouble with?

I tried looking on p.43, but don't see the code you're referring to...
    edited 2011-09-18 23:58
    Rayman,thanks for your kindness though I have already figure it out。

Can you tell me why not set parameters “pwm” and “DIR” to 6 and 7 directly but set as belows. thanks!
    “BRK = 5
    PWM = BRK + 1
    DIR = PWM + 2”
    edited 2011-09-19 01:09
    moreover, Raman, Can you tell or show me how to display the system time on lcd 16X2. thanks a lot!
  • SarielSariel Posts: 182
    edited 2011-09-19 04:06
    Daniel,

Have you gotten the LCD to display characters yet? have you Gotten an RTC? Try looking into this object. Even though it is designed for a 4x20, it works quite well for these displays:

http://obex.parallax.com/objects/704/

and look into Kye's RTC object here:

http://obex.parallax.com/objects/420/

Take them one step at a time. I have integrated both of these in a few projects, and after some tinkering, you should be able to mesh them together to get what you are looking for.
  • Shawn LoweShawn Lowe Posts: 635
    edited 2011-09-19 09:57
    I get an error 404 when I try to open the text
  • CrazyrabbitCrazyrabbit Posts: 116
    edited 2011-09-19 16:02
    Having trouble downloading new book. Get cannot find page error. Oh well I am patient.
  • HShankoHShanko Posts: 402
    edited 2011-09-19 19:26
    Andy,

When I try to download the Propeller ]Education Kit Labs - Fundamentals[/B .pdf file I get a "The page cannot be found" error. I'm on a iMac; but that shouldn't make a difference. Has anyone else with a iMac been able to download
    edited 2011-09-19 19:36
    Sariel,
    Thanks a lot, I have already downloaded your object. After while I will study it.

I really appreciate your kindness and help.

Thanks from a students of China
    edited 2011-09-21 01:01
    Hi everyone who can tell me why the “potline” has the same pin with “chipsel” in the following codes. The codes come from Utilities.spin.
    high =1
    low =0
    PotLine =19
    PotLine2 =20
    repval =2
    repval2 =2
    BitsRead =12
    BitsRead2=12
    BitsRead3 =12
    BitsRead4=12
    chipSel = 19
    chipClk = chipSel+1
    chipDout = chipSel+2
    chipDin = chipSel+3
    chipSel2 = 23
    chipClk2 = chipSel2+1
    chipDout2 = chipSel2+2
    chipDin2 = chipSel2+3

• SarielSariel Posts: 182
    edited 2011-09-21 03:57
    Not sure, we would need to see the rest of the code. But, I suggest starting a new thread. We are really starting to hijack this one.
  • StefanL38StefanL38 Posts: 2,292
    edited 2011-09-21 09:23
    Hi Andy,

the link in the first posting is wrong

http://www.parallax.com/Portals/0/Downloads/docs/prod/prop/PELabsFunBook-v1.1.pdf

you are already on version 1.1
    keep the documents coming
    best regards

Stefan
  • HShankoHShanko Posts: 402
    edited 2011-09-21 09:39
    Thanks, Stefan

Finally can download the PE labs book. Wow, over 200 pages. Lot of effort to get all that in place. Thank you Parallax.
  • GwolfeGwolfe Posts: 28
    edited 2012-06-08 20:50
    Question about square wave program from exercises at end of chapter 5. Calling SquareWave with tHigh = 2717 and tCycle much larger than tHigh makes an LED glow dimly. Calling it with tHigh = 2716 makes the LED glow constantly at full on. This happens regardless of the exact value of tCycle or the clock frequency chosen. Why?
  • kuronekokuroneko Posts: 3,623
    edited 2012-06-08 21:28
    Gwolfe wrote: »
    Calling it with tHigh = 2716 makes the LED glow constantly at full on. This happens regardless of the exact value of tCycle or the clock frequency chosen. Why?
    The version coming with PropTool 1.3 takes a smaller value (~2k4) to lock up but assuming your version doesn't differ significantly, it's down to waitcnt missing its (initial) target. IOW the cycle count between sampling cnt and then waiting for tH exceeds tHigh. HTH
    edited 2012-06-09 15:52
    Makes sense. Thanks.
    edited 2012-06-12 09:06
    Another basic question. Suppose method1 is contained in object1 and object1's start method launches method1 into cog1. Method1 appears to have direct access to object1's global variables (i.e. without needing to pass addresses as would be necessary to transfer information to or from another object). Do object 1's global variables still reside in main RAM and not cog1's RAM? What happens if the start method launches method1 into cog1 and method2 into cog2? Do both methods now have access to object1's global variables? How are conflicts resolved?

I couldn't find an answer to this one in the propeller manual or elsewhere. Would also like to know where else to look in the future for similar questions.
  • kuronekokuroneko Posts: 3,623
    edited 2012-06-13 07:02
    Gwolfe wrote: »
    Do object 1's global variables still reside in main RAM and not cog1's RAM? What happens if the start method launches method1 into cog1 and method2 into cog2? Do both methods now have access to object1's global variables? How are conflicts resolved?
    From context you seem to use SPIN. IOW global variables stay in hub RAM. Which also means both cogs have access. As for conflicts, built-in type access (byte/word/long) is atomic. Anything more exotic is your responsibility.
    edited 2012-06-13 12:50
    I think the problem was with my mental imagery of what was happening. I had pictured cog0 initially running object1, and copying method1 and sending it to cog1 to execute, as if by analogy cog0 and cog1 were physically separate computers and the code just got copied to be run on a different computer. Anything method1 did on the second computer would then only alter that computer's memory. Instead, I've shifted to an image of separate processors both scanning the same main memory with object1 in it. Launching method1 simply tells cog1 to start scanning object1 at method1. But if so directed, it can scan elsewhere in main memory, including the global variables. Don't know if others find mental imagery of the process helpful, and mine probably still needs more revision, but this is helping me for now.
  • GenetixGenetix Posts: 1,740
    edited 2014-04-03 21:00
    I've looked at the text and I noticed that many of the Spin commands resemble PBASIC.
    Is there a chart or something that shows which commands are just like in PBASIC and which commands are different?
  • LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2014-04-05 11:35
    Well, this is another old thread that has been revived.

Comparision of PBasic comands to Spin? I have not seen anything. I actually cloned PBasic i/o commands in Forth to make things easier for myself as it certainly is easier to work that way.

You might have to just set up a speadsheet with PBasic in one column and Spin in another and see what you come up with. There are some big differences as Spin was based on Pascal. But you are always going to see some things that look similar in any two languges as logical tests and looping are ever present.

Being provided with a list is likely not going to help you learn as much as a DIY investigation. So I really encourage you to make your own.
  • PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2014-04-05 11:58
    There is and object in the OBEX:

http://obex.parallax.com/object/16

that emulates a few of the BS2 functions in SPIN.

It may give you some ideas.