Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Hardware communication failure — Parallax Forums

Hardware communication failure

SidewinderXSidewinderX Posts: 2
edited 2007-12-30 00:15 in Learn with BlocklyProp
Hello, I just received "What's a Microcontroller?" for Christmas. Unfortunately my laptop does not have a Serial COM port, so I went to my local Radio Shack and asked for a "USB to Serial Adapter" and I ended up buying this: http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2036258&cp=&sr=1&origkw=USB+to+Serial&kw=usb+to+serial&parentPage=search

I did activity 4 which is simply displaying "Hello, it's me, your BASIC Stamp!" in the Debug Terminal. I then exited out of the terminal, changed the text to display "Hello World" - when I ran it again, I received "Hardware communication failure! Check serial cable and power supply." I receive this error about 50% of the time, and the other 50% it displays the text.

The battery is new, the USB is pluged into my laptop, and the serial end is securely connected to the BASIC Stamp HomeWork Board. I've read and reread Activities 1 through 4. The only thing that I see different is in the Identification window, it finds the BASIC Stamp 2, but the "Loopback" says No, while in the book Loopback says Yes. [noparse][[/noparse]Version is v1.0 and Echo says Yes]. I'm not sure if that has anything to do with the problem, but can anyone shed some light as to why I get this error about 50% of the time?

Thanks.

Comments