Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Multicolor leds... — Parallax Forums

Multicolor leds...

doughboydoughboy Posts: 12
edited 2007-12-25 08:54 in Propeller 1
1. Where can you get them?
2. I dont understand how they work, can anyone explain? I assume they are current driven to change colors, maybe?
Thanks and merry xmass people

Comments

• bboy8012bboy8012 Posts: 153
    edited 2007-12-25 07:57
    1) Where to get them I assume digikey? I get everything else there.
    2) I wish I could help on that, but Ill google it since you got me intrested.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Hunger hurts, starvation works!
  • bboy8012bboy8012 Posts: 153
    edited 2007-12-25 07:59
    Maybe this will help (http://www.elexp.com/opt_rgbc.htm)

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Hunger hurts, starvation works!
  • deSilvadeSilva Posts: 2,967
    edited 2007-12-25 08:54
    There are four kinds of "multi color LEDs" on the market. They all contain two or three separate diodes.
    (a) DUO-LEDs (3 or 5 mm), generally green/red but also combinations with yellow, either three leads (common cathode), or two (anti-parallel), the latter are simpler to connect, e.g. between two Propeller pins but both diodes cannot be lit at the same time, obviosly... but you can multiplex them...

(b) TRI COLOR LEDS (5 mm), generally R,G,B. They come with four leads (again common cathode), or two(!). The two leaded versions contain an aditional sequencer chip which starts a light-show as soon as power is connected. They do not cost more, as the cost of that chip is (more than) compensated for by the saving of two leads. I have never seen 3 mm types - but they exist (most likely quite expensive)

Where to get them: The hobbyist buys from an ebay shop, search for LED RGB, you will around get 250 offers, from 20 to 100 pcs; depending on the shipping you should not pay more than 25 cents per piece.

The professional does not.. It is rarely obvious what you get from those ebay shops... The given ratings (as "10.000 mcd") are generally not valid. Established shops however sell quality products.

The viewing angle of multi color LEDs is generally small (see my notes in another thread)

You can also play with multi color SMD LEDs. However the market is not very transparent here, there are dozens of different types, 2,3, and even 4 diodes are packed onto one carrier. They are generally large enough to allow easy soldering on veroboards! Just place them betwen 4 copper stripes.. Generally they are very bright and have a good viewing angle..

Post Edited (deSilva) : 12/25/2007 1:03:11 PM GMT