Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
--FREE-- 24 Bit ADC's(just make me a driver!) — Parallax Forums

--FREE-- 24 Bit ADC's(just make me a driver!)

PhilldapillPhilldapill Posts: 1,283
edited 2007-12-29 12:54 in Propeller 1
I have some 24-bit·ADC's that I need to make a driver for. Frankly, I don't have the time or knowhow to make an effective one. I do, however, have a couple of these chips to give away for free(I'll ship them free, too). I've looked on the object exchange for any similiar chips, but can't find one.

The IC is ADS1211P. It's a 24-pin DIP and has an internal microcontroller that can set various settings onboard.

If anyone is up for it, I'll send you two if you'll make a good driver. Any takers?

Comments

• PhilldapillPhilldapill Posts: 1,283
    edited 2007-12-24 04:29
    Alright, make it THREE chips... Why am I not getting any responses? Is this a bad chip? I have a total of five...(God bless TI's sample program)
  • AleAle Posts: 2,363
    edited 2007-12-24 16:23
    Phill: Those ADCs are exactly what I wanted to find some months ago. I froze that project for a while and I am too busy to make a driver now (well, I do not even have them), but in February or so I could. I think is s bit too late for you. But anyways they are not that difficult to use from what I saw in the Datasheet. A spare couple of hs is all you need.

Have nice holidays.

Ale
  • Tracy AllenTracy Allen Posts: 6,660
    edited 2007-12-24 20:30
    The ADS1211P is probably a fine chip. TI and Analog Devices do not make "bad" chips. But is it appropriate for what you want to do? It has a wealth of features on a detailed 58 page data sheet. A particular application would hardly ever require all of them and a general purpose "driver" wll simply allow a calling program to load all the internal registers and return flags and data. So if that is the case, the main program (and the programmer) has to understand the fine points of how all the different features intesect and interact. Whereas an application-specific driver will implement the features that are needed for the specific application and hide the details from the calling program.

Your requirement is vague. Why did you choose that particular ADC? High resolution certainly. There are so many options out there now in sigma delta at high resolutions, from Linear Tech for example, and Microchip and others too. Attaining the high resolution depends critically on circuit layout and noise sources. Imagine a stack of paper over 1 kilometer in height, three times the height of the empire state building, and take the relative thickness of one sheet of paper. That's one bit.

The first step in working with any ADC is to get it to do anything at all. Sometimes this is easy, but sometimes there are ambiguities and it takes quite a bit of reading between the lines of the data sheet and associated head scratching. This is a relatively complicated ADC with lots of possible modes. It is the sort of thing one would take on only if through a careful evaluation it has been found to be the best or only option for the project at hand. It is a lot of work. The inducement of free chips is not that strong, because, as you pointed out, TI is liberal with samples. But maybe someone will like to solve the problem for its own sake, better than crossword puzzles or Sudoku!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Tracy Allen
    www.emesystems.com
  • Fred HawkinsFred Hawkins Posts: 997
    edited 2007-12-24 23:30
    Of the various application schematics in the datasheet, which did you want to use?
    edited 2007-12-24 23:59
    I will be using this ADC to get a precise measurement of Voltage dropped across a load, and the voltage dropped across a shunt resistor, giving me a value to compute current flow. From these values, I will derive the power consumed. The current will range anywhere from 0-50A and I would like to have 1mA precision, but 10mA would be acceptable. This is the reason for the high degree of accuracy. The project is a MPPT solar charger and to determine the maximum power point, I need to know what the current power ouput of the solar panels is in order to "correct" the ouput up or down. That's another thread... This ADC will be used in a fairly simple mode. I would be more than ok with a 10hz data rate/10 values sent to the Prop/second(I'm pretty sure that means the same thing). I hope that clears it up.
    edited 2007-12-25 00:00
    By the way, Fred, what is that display picture of? a dinosaur???
  • bulkheadbulkhead Posts: 405
    edited 2007-12-25 01:54
    Philldapill said...
    The current will range anywhere from 0-50A and I would like to have 1mA precision, but 10mA would be acceptable. This is the reason for the high degree of accuracy.

50A/.01A = 5000 ~= 12 bits (4096)

Might be easier to just find a 12 bit ADC that already has a driver here obex.parallax.com/objects/search/?q=adc

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    I'm new to the propeller!
    edited 2007-12-25 02:05
    Yeah, I'm currently working with a ADS7816 which is 12 bit and seems to be decent. However, the shunt resistor will need to be as low as possible and the minimum reference voltage for the chip is 100mv. At that level, the valid bits is about 8 if I'm not mistaken. Plus, there is a good bit of noise, but I'm sure there will be noise on the 24 bit chip. By the way, I already have a driver for it that I made. Works fine, but there are only 3 wires - data, clock, and CS.
  • Fred HawkinsFred Hawkins Posts: 997
    edited 2007-12-25 04:46
    Philldapill said...
    By the way, Fred, what is that display picture of? a dinosaur???
    Behold the Lumposaurus. Slow moving, often wrong-headed, sometimes wry, frequently grumpy but keeps it under control. Omnivorous, much like an extrovert turtle.

My better half, who bestowed its name, reminds me to mention that L.saurus is the product of Famous Artists Schooling.
    222 x 172 - 2K
    edited 2007-12-25 07:54
    Hahahahaha! I thought it might have had some sort of deep philosophical meaning. Thanks for the info!
  • deSilvadeSilva Posts: 2,967
    edited 2007-12-25 09:12
    (a) It HAD a deep philosophical meaning!

(b) I have the feeling that you will have to do more than just getting the voltage drop at a resistor.
    This resistor is your main issue. How do you calibrate it? Temperature will influence its resistance in most terrible ways. You have to get its PRECISE temperature, this most likely will be the limiting factor of your accuracy. You will also have magnetic fields at 10A, with additional impact.

Post Edited (deSilva) : 12/25/2007 9:44:48 PM GMT
    edited 2007-12-25 16:58
    Thanks deSilva. I think I can get a fair estimate of the temperature using an LM317 temp. sensor. It's not PRECISE but I think it should be fairly good. This ADC has 4 channels so with reading the voltage, current and temperature, I have one to spare. Any thoughts on what to use it for?
  • rjo_rjo_ Posts: 1,825
    edited 2007-12-25 19:47
    Phil,

What you are doing would solve my problems with the memsic 2D. Would you like me to "sweeten the pot for you?"

Rich
    edited 2007-12-25 21:44
    Phil, can you give me the temperature coefficent of the shunt you are using, or a link to its datasheet?
    edited 2007-12-26 08:37
    Rich, I have not a clue as to what you are talking about. Care to elaborate?

deSilva, as for the shunt. It is still up in the air as to what I will be using. Any suggestions? Remember, this will measure anywhere between 0-50A.
  • Ron SutcliffeRon Sutcliffe Posts: 420
    edited 2007-12-26 09:41
    Phil

I have in front of me 200amp 100, 50, shunts, these are rated 200, 100 and 50mv at max current, respectively.

They are others available with resistive manganin metal elements in the range from 50 to 500amps all at onlt 50mv at max’I

The accuracy of this type of shunt is well within 0.25% across the range. The Temp co_ef is very close to zero.

All these units are readily available and specifically designed and calibrated for instrumentation purposes.

Best to use a twisted pair from the shunt to a precision inline buffer amp with noise filter ahead of the ADC.

Ron
    edited 2007-12-26 13:11
    This is most likely good news for Phil.
    When you say they are calibrated there seems not much to be left to improve the 0.25% (= 9 bits) ?

As Phil needs (but will never get smile.gif ) 10 mA resolution this needs 1/1000 * 10A -> 1/1000* 50mV = 50 µV
    To find a low noise Pre-Amplifier will now be the next challenge smile.gif
    edited 2007-12-26 16:45
    @deSilva
    They are manufactured to within 0.25% accuracy, the user would be left to handle the offset. The elements would be stable enough, temperature wise I would think, but one would have to do some homework on that. Personally I wouldn't bother.
    edited 2007-12-26 17:24
    .. but is there a datasheet? From your description they can't be just bulkware...
    edited 2007-12-26 17:57
    Allelectronics often carries surplus measurement shunts, for example this one at 50 amps.

There are many amplifiers out there specifically designed for shunts. Zetex, Maxim and others make them but I'm partial to Linear Tech, and they recently came out with a CAZ (zero drift) version with <10 microvolts offset and common mode up to 100 volts. With an amplifier of that sort, a 12 bit converter could be adequate. It is true you can do this with a high resolution converter directly, but not on the high side.

Whether on the high side or on the low side, it is important to add good filtering to protect the inputs and to keep out noise and especially ferrite beads for RFI.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Tracy Allen
    www.emesystems.com
    edited 2007-12-26 18:28
    What you also need is a MODEL of what you are measuring.
    (a) V0 = R(T,B)*I How well do you now the resistance as a function of temperature and magnetic field?
    (b) V1 = p(V0) As V0 the order of 5µV/mA, what noise and uncompensated drift is expected from pre-amplification
    (c) V2 = w(V1) Assuming that the pramplifier is close to the shunt, what error is introduced by the wiring, PCBb layout?
    (d) DIG = ADC(V2) What additional error is introduced by the ADC.

The ADC might not be the accuracy determining factor
    edited 2007-12-27 08:14
    This should go without saying but Shunts need to be very close to the negative terminal and best if the instrumentation is powered by the same source that you are measuring. (same ground and less chance of introducing noise via a ground loop).

Resolution to 12 bits can be achieved with some degree of difficulty.

If your aim is lump all the losses with the Solar Array on one side of the shunt (i.e net power source) And the all the losses on the other side of the with the battery bank (net load) that’s fine.
    Set up the system, using a controlled light source……….controlled light source
    Collect the data.
    Now connect your back box between the Solar panel and the shunt and collect the data again, with the same light source

Forget calibrating the shunt, we have just done it. It’s the controlled light source you now have to find !

I remember walking down a country road and asking a Old Irish gentlemen the best way to get Dublin.
    In a flash he said, “If I were gowin to Dublin, tis to be sure, I’d not start from ere”

In the real world.

Replacement of Storage Batteries in our case 2000ah every two years is expensive. A charging/management regime, which shortens the life of batteries, would not be a good thing.
    I came into this, discussion because we derive 90% of our power requirements from Solar, and have done for 5 years. Phil is working on a Solar Power Project.
    edited 2007-12-27 18:51
    There was a thread, I think in the Sandbox forum, a couple of months ago on MPPT solar charger strategies. For maximum energy harvesting, it came down I recall to a switching regulator, which through servo feedback, would seek out the maximum power point (MPP) of the solar panel. That would involve some dithering to keep on target as conditions change. The alternative would be to have a predetermined power curve, but I think using feedback would be better to account for aging of the panels, temperature etc. Of course, the overall system also has to take account the welfare of the batteries and the current delivered to the load. At some times it will need to harvest all available energy from the panels, while at other times it might need to cut off the supply in order to avoid overcharging the batteries. The Propeller + ADC would be great for managing that (have to keep on topic!).

Ron, I'm not quite sure how your calibrated light source comes into play. Also I don't think you're saying that charging/management system would necessarily _shorten_ the life of the batteries--quite the opposite? My experience is only with panels meant to power instrumentation, not 2000 ah systems!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Tracy Allen
    www.emesystems.com
    edited 2007-12-28 02:56
    Hi Tracey,
    Controlled light source. Yes it would have to be measured accurately across the array.
    Simple test

Load = battery bank (Check Specific gravity of electrolyte in each cell, and measure temperature)
    Power Sourse = Solar Panel excited by controlled artificial light
    Shunt in series with load and power source.
    Log power in over fixed time period.

We have a reference

Now discharge the Battery until we get back to the same Sg @ temp.
    Add in series the black box under test and repeat the test.

We are not concerned (I don’t think) with how efficient the array is, of for that matter what the acceptance rate of the battery is, as long they are the same for both tests….

Re- battery charging regime.

The following parameters need be considered.
    Bmax Max voltage in boost mode 13.5 –16.5 v
    Emax Equalization voltage 14.0 –17.00 v
    Etim Equalization time 0 – 2.0 hours
    Efrq Number of days between equalization 20 – 150 days
    Absv Absorption voltage 13.5 - 15.5 v
    Atim Absorbtion time 0 – 4.0 hours
    Fltv Float voltage 13.5 – 15.00 v
    Hyst Hysteresis when using PWM mode 0.1 – 1.0 v
    Brtn Voltage below which return to Boost 11.00 – 13.00v
    Chrg Current limit 1- 20(40)A
    Bfrq Maximum number of days between boost 1 - 20
    Tcmp Selection of temperature profile. 0 – 8 ( I have 8 set up)

Some but not all of these parameters have a significant effect on battery life..They must (should) be available on “Intelligent Solar Controllers and set for the various battery types.. Lead Acid, Glass Mat, Gel, etc e…. Addition tweaking may be required depending upon the environment.

Bank switching is essential in order to maximize available power. Capture techniques are different story
    edited 2007-12-28 03:19
    I agree, Ron. All of these parameters should be set according to the particular battery specs. I have a dream of using the propeller to manage not only the charging, but interface it with a TV out or VGA signal and add a keyboard so that the owner can actually set/change these parameters with an easy to use interface. This will eventually be intended for me to sell on ebay or the like... Again, just a dream.
  • Nick MuellerNick Mueller Posts: 815
    edited 2007-12-28 09:14
    If you want to measure high currents, a shunt isn't the best solution. Get one of the hall-effect or magneto-resistive current sensors. Some of them can be integrated on the PCB (the trace with the signal passes below the sensor chip).

<http://www.allegromicro.com/en/Products/Categories/Sensors/currentsensor.asp&gt;

Nick

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Never use force, just go for a bigger hammer!

The DIY Digital-Readout for mills, lathes etc.:
    YADRO
    edited 2007-12-28 09:55
    J'agree Nick.

@phil, don't be put off by anyone go for it.........Online Solar Australia is worth a look.....Down load the PL40 manual from Plasmatronics, youl find them on OL Aust

There's lot do in Alternative energy, we need a new thread for it. Make your dream work !
    edited 2007-12-28 18:38
    Nick,
    I'm not sure if we're talking about the same thing... From what you say about the trace, it is on the pcb. I highly doubt that a PCB trace can handle 50 amps. Do they make sensors that measure this much?
    edited 2007-12-28 18:40
    Ahhh, scratch that Nick, I checked out the link and they sure do make sensors that go that high - even up to 200A! Now, the question is, how would I physically put that together and caliberate it?
  • Nick MuellerNick Mueller Posts: 815
    edited 2007-12-29 12:54
    > I'm not sure if we're talking about the same thing... From what you say about the trace, it is on the pcb.
    >I highly doubt that a PCB trace can handle 50 amps. Do they make sensors that measure this much?

No, I don't sratch that! smile.gif
    My answer was more general than necessary.

> Now, the question is, how would I physically put that together and caliberate it?

With some known current? smile.gif If you do have a high-amp power supply...

An other simpler approach is to buy a amperage clamp meter. Some to have an analog output (0..5V or such). You'd have to pay attention to buy a DC-A-meter. You should get them for around 100$. They aren't very fast (some kHz) but it should be good enough for what you do. This also solves the calibration issue and isolation of your measurment system and the high-current stuff that might make problems.

HTH,
    Nick

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Never use force, just go for a bigger hammer!

The DIY Digital-Readout for mills, lathes etc.:
    YADRO