Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
ft232 — Parallax Forums

ft232

TiborTibor Posts: 4
edited 2007-12-26 08:48 in Propeller 1
Hello!
I am new in parallax forum. I know, this ist propeller forum, but I found not forum about FT 232.
That,s why I write hier.
I have a problem with FT232 driver.
With the first seria I had no problem, but the same circuit with an another seira is not operating. Can somebody help me why? Perhaps the internal EEPROM's program is another? How can I control it?

Thank for our answer.

Tibor Deaki

My email adres: mail@deaki.hu
·

Comments

• AleAle Posts: 2,363
    edited 2007-12-23 16:51
    Can you please describe a bit more your problem and the hardware involved.
  • TiborTibor Posts: 4
    edited 2007-12-23 18:55
    Hello Ale!

I bought two piece FT232RL some month ago. I made a pcb for it by FTDI datasheet page 23-th.·I didn't use RS232 interface, I drived the chip direct from microcontroller's TX and RX pin.·I connected to GND the 25, 7, 18, 21 and 26 pins. I connected two LED to Cbus0 and Cbus1 pins like the figure. I didn't use any other service pins. I started the FTDI program and the circuit worked well.

·The second two circuit made on the same pcb. The chip is the same type but·I think it came from an another, lather seria. This circuit now operates not exactly. If I connect the circuit to the PC, the PC display the present of USB port and the number of COM port. But I can't send data with terminal emulator. If I see the USB signal with scope, the good type's signal is thick, but the wrong's signal is rare. If I disconnect the circuit, the PC diplaxs the disconnection.

I read in the datashhet, this IC has EEPROM, and the operation is configurable. Perhaps that's the problem. The another possibility the disconnetion of service pins.
  • TransistorToasterTransistorToaster Posts: 149
    edited 2007-12-24 18:31
    You could use the Control Panel->System Properties->Harware tab->Device Manager to aid in debugging. Check the USB controllers and Ports and take a look what happens when you plug and unplug the FTDI chip.
    Frank
    edited 2007-12-25 09:07
    Hello Frank!
    I tryed. The device manager see the USB Serial Converter, and by it the device operates normally. That's why I think, one input is in wrong state.
    I controlled the first circuit (the good one) and found some solder-faiter. Som pins are not soldering normally, because my technicist didn't see the line on the pcb, under the IC, and he didn't soler the pins connected this lines. I controlled by voltmeter the connection, and the contacts seemd normally, but it is possible, that is only the result of the pressure of the stift of the tester. This pins:4(VCCIO), 7(GND), 18(GND), 21(GND), 25(TEST), 27(CLK).
    Tibor.
  • TransistorToasterTransistorToaster Posts: 149
    edited 2007-12-26 04:14
    >I tryed. The device manager see the USB Serial Converter, and by it the device operates normally. That's why I think, one input is in wrong state.

I don't quite understand what you mean by wrong state. Do you mean DC level? Also which input are you talking about? The TXD and RXD are supposed to be idle at logic high. You need to tie VCCIO to the voltage supply of the microcontroller. Leave "nreset" unconnected, and put "test" to ground.
    edited 2007-12-26 08:48
    I measured the VCCIO. It is 5V. The "nreset" and "test" inputs are OK.

I think, I found the failer. I connected the rts and cts pins and the output is good. I think, this was the problem.

There are two free inputs in my pcb. the RI# and the sleep# (cbus4). I left these input in NC state. I dont know, is it OK?