Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Use of Propeller Tool with non-Windows systems — Parallax Forums

Use of Propeller Tool with non-Windows systems

Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
edited 2007-12-20 17:03 in Propeller 1
CodeWeavers has a commercial version of Wine (CrossOver Mac) that runs under the MacOS (and one that
runs under Linux). I'm always interested in how well they support things like the Propeller Tool. They have
a liberal demo/test policy and I download new versions to try with the Propeller Tool.

The latest is 6.5.1 and the behavior is similar to previous versions. There are occasional "invalid exception"
errors that can be ignored/dismissed, usually while opening the folder tree and the hex memory display is
inexplicably smooshed to the left all in one column of overlapped characters, but the editor and compiler
appear to work fine. You can't download or identify a Propeller (CrossOver Mac doesn't appear to support USB
or serial devices currently), but I posted a Python RAM download program that could be modified to download
to EEPROM as well (or just identify a Propeller).

Comments

• RaymanRayman Posts: 14,162
    edited 2007-12-19 16:03
    Wouldn't M$'s "Virtual PC" be better?
  • CardboardGuruCardboardGuru Posts: 443
    edited 2007-12-19 16:14
    I'm a Mac user for preference, and have been for 5 years. I'm typing this now on a G4 Mac. But rather than mess around trying out options to get compatibility, I keep a PC too that I use for software that's only available on a PC. It doubles up as double the screen real estate too when I'm doing something with one computer, I can have the manual or a reference web page on the other.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Help to build the Propeller wiki - propeller.wikispaces.com
    Play Defender - Propeller version of the classic game
    Prop Room Robotics - my web store for Roomba spare parts in the UK
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2007-12-19 16:32
    Rayman,
    Virtual PC is one choice for PowerPC users. Guest PC is another that works that isn't sold by Microsoft. Both require a copy of Windows.
    For Intel Mac users, both VMWare's Fusion and Parallel's Desktop work as long as you have a copy of Windows.

CodeWeavers' CrossOver Mac and CrossOver Linux are based on Wine and provide Windows 2000 level API support without requiring a copy of Windows. This support is incomplete, does work for a large number of widely used Windows applications, but doesn't work for all. CodeWeavers is slowly expanding the list of supported applications, mostly based on interest and market size. It only runs on Intel Macs.
  • DroneDrone Posts: 433
    edited 2007-12-20 17:03
    Hi Mike,

I think I mentioned this on a previous post for a fellow trying to get the PropTool working on a MAC, but that was PPC. I did mention in that thread there is a Wine optimized Live-CD Slackware-based mini-distro called Slax, KillBill Edition.

Now, a bit more about Slax... If you go to www.slax.org you will be redirected to a blog entry that looks pretty bleak in terms of Slax development... Actually Slax is still alive, yet forzen in the 5X versions - awaiting V6. 5.x versions however work very well and there's lots of stuff on the forums to help. Just go to the current release page at slax.hosting4p.com. Here you will find the venerable SLAX KillBill Edition v 5.1.8.1 under the dowloads section. Look at the Forums, Docs, and Modules sections on the page.

Now, in my previous post in another thread I mentioned that Slax KillBill might be a good try for making a PropTool-specific distro that can boot off a CF card or USB dongle on any fairly recent x86 platform. But I don't know enough about Wine to get started. It seems you have taken the Wine step with CodeWeavers app. Perhaps this would accellerate trying to make a Slax KillBill module for PropTool. If you can get PropTool to even start on Slax KillBill, then I can help moving it to a more complete recipe that wouldrun PropTool on x86 from CDROM or USB under Slax. I just don't have time to fight with Wine.

David