Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
video player — Parallax Forums

video player

vicosvicos Posts: 4
edited 2007-12-19 14:40 in Propeller 1
Hi all, and welcome me to the forum tongue.gif

I'm just wondering if the propeller chip could be capable of doing video play back or streaming , playing a simple video , it could be great to make a cheap set-up box....

Thanks a lot

Viox

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2007-12-19 06:15
    Video streaming might work because of the lower data rates. Keep in mind that the Propeller's video output is limited in the resolution and number of colors. Some people have played with running multiple cogs to increase the number of colors available with VGA output, but the Propeller has only 32K bytes of main memory to use for buffering and the program itself. Have a look at the Hydra forum for some of the work done with the Hydra's 512K RAM expansion card to try to get more colors for the display.

TV output is also limited by the constraints of the NTSC/PAL color format.
  • RaymanRayman Posts: 14,162
    edited 2007-12-19 13:28
    Just displaying decent quality photos with the Prop is nearly impossible (although Baggers seems to have made some heroic efforts to do so). So, I wouldn't even consider this for a "set top box".
  • BaggersBaggers Posts: 3,019
    edited 2007-12-19 14:40
    Vicos:

You're images have to be either low resolution/quality, as feeding data to it from SD you get ~5K per frame NTSC ~6K per frame PAL so that's 10/12K per 25/30 fps
    That's 3 cogs used up without any decoding, 1 for spin handler, one for Rokiki's FSRW and one for a basic TV driver, you would then have 5 cogs ( if you don't have audio ) to generate scanlines from your data.
    the Hydra's 512K would give you more ram, but you can only access it with one cog at a time.

Rayman:

thanks [noparse]:)[/noparse]