Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Current draw on Propeller,,FIRST TIME PROP USER< FINALLY CAME IN!!!! — Parallax Forums

Current draw on Propeller,,FIRST TIME PROP USER< FINALLY CAME IN!!!!

mosquito56mosquito56 Posts: 387
edited 2007-12-18 23:14 in Propeller 1
· Got my prop education kit last night. Cooked a couple burgers on the the 5V chip, man can that thing take a beating. Spent all night putting it together, couldn't get it to work. I was sure I toasted something.
··· Woke up the next morning fresh and ready to go. Found the little red thingy connected to the little black thingy slot. 5V to ground, hence the burgers machine. Got everything working so wired up the prop and the USB connector.
·· Wasn't reading the drive in windows. Note to Windows users. Check the hardware on your machine under usb devices. If you see a yellow exclamation mark, reinstall the driver.
·· Got this puppy·cooking and realiazed diodes and resistors are a pain. I bought a·bar graph for $2 at radio shack yesterday and just hooked it up to the pins 1 to 7 and stuffed it in the ground bar of the breadboard. Everything works great.
· My question is regarding current draw on the prop.·Since the bargraph is rated for 5v the lights·aren't very bright. I don't care·about that but I am wondering if I might be damaging the prop chip.·Nothing is getting hot after playing with it for about 4 hours now. Any thoughts?
· Also, sometimes when I try to load a second or third or fourth program Prop tool says can't find chip. I hit the reset button everytime to reload. Am I doing something wrong? I want to protect my chip.
· Also, what is a good number of chips to have as backup? Are they easy to fry?
Mosquito
·· ·

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
Mosquito: An animal which buzzes in your ear and never stops. He may byte you, he may nibble you, but you will know you were bit.

·A good engineer borrows from others, a great engineer steals everything outright!!

Comments

• kittmasterkittmaster Posts: 77
    edited 2007-12-18 23:08
    isn't the prop a 3.3 v device!!
  • deSilvadeSilva Posts: 2,967
    edited 2007-12-18 23:14
    (a) They way you work I should recommend 3 to 4 chips for back-up smile.gif
    (b) The outputs are more or less short-circuit-proof, but you shouldn't overdo it... They will provide (or sink) 40 to 50mA max - which is a lot! - but not on all pins at the same time.
    (c) A bar graph can be many things: read the data sheet. Generally a segment draws about 10 mA. So they shouldn't be exactly "dim". But those devices are generally "dimmer" than what you see with modern LEDs.
    (d) If you are not multiplexing or PWM them, you should use a current limiting resistor (of 100 to 220 Ohms) during the first 3 months... it will pay smile.gif