Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Prop to GPS — Parallax Forums

Prop to GPS

bboy8012bboy8012 Posts: 153
edited 2007-12-20 23:31 in Propeller 1
On my prop education kit, I used the 5V regualtor and gave it one power distro bar. I am trying interface say the parallax gps to the propeller pin14. I used a 10Mohm resistor and it brought the voltage down to like 3.1 is that safe enough to connect to P14? Also I am wondering has anyone else connected say a parallax gps to there propeller this way, or is there another way that is way more safe? I am venturing in to electroincs, and dont know much so I'm looking to the pro's for help. Another question is even with that Voltage will the propeller be able to communicate on that pin with the gps? Final question anyone know of any good sites for beginners in electronics?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
So much to learn

Comments

• Oldbitcollector (Jeff)Oldbitcollector (Jeff) Posts: 8,091
    edited 2007-12-17 23:22
    I getting ready to work on the same project... Shouldn't a 10K resistor be sufficient for this?

10M would be a bit high..

OBC

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    New to the Propeller?

Getting started with the Protoboard? - Propeller Cookbook
    Got an SD card? - PropDOS
    A Living Propeller FAQ - The Propeller Wiki
    (Got the Knowledge? Got a Moment? Add something today!)

• bboy8012bboy8012 Posts: 153
    edited 2007-12-17 23:46
    Maybe this will answer our question

http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=667581

Read the first post

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    So much to learn
  • deSilvadeSilva Posts: 2,967
    edited 2007-12-17 23:52
    @bboy: I understand than you connect a 5V device output to a propellerr Input using a 10M resistor!?

Whatever resistor you use, you will ALWAYS measure something around 3.6V. This is due to internal diodes, protecting the CMOS input.

Such a high resistor as you use will however degrade the slope of the signals sent. It forms a "low pass filter" with the internal input capacity, around 5 to 10 pF.

As Oldbit already said: 4k7 to 47k is a more common value for 5V input..
  • Oldbitcollector (Jeff)Oldbitcollector (Jeff) Posts: 8,091
    edited 2007-12-17 23:58
    My intention in this project will be to create a handheld GPS unit using a 20x4 LCD and a protoboard.
    It'll be Geocaching time when the weather warms a bit..
    A Cookbook project entry will also be forthcoming...

OBC

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    New to the Propeller?

Getting started with the Protoboard? - Propeller Cookbook
    Got an SD card? - PropDOS
    A Living Propeller FAQ - The Propeller Wiki
    (Got the Knowledge? Got a Moment? Add something today!)

edited 2007-12-18 01:23
    Thanks deSilva I was reading a post from the link and I have decided to use a 10k that seems to be the decision for everyone else! I cant wait to test it out

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    So much to learn
  • micahpmicahp Posts: 11
    edited 2007-12-18 02:13
    I simply have a 10K hooked to the SIO pin.

BTW: I utilize the RAW mode (just run the /RAW pin to ground) and parse the NMEA data myself. I was using the GPS spin code available on the object exchange but I couldn't get it to work and found it much more complicated then it needed to be (takes 2 cogs to run). I will post my code in a few days.
  • PerryPerry Posts: 253
    edited 2007-12-18 17:40
    Terry Hitt's OSD uses the Parallax GPS module www.hittconsulting.com/products/hcosd/

He uses a 1K resistor for the SIO pin and pulls the /RAW pin to ground.

The SIO resistor can be too high at 10M ohm as the signal you want is actually the low value and needs to sink the I/O pin below the propellers 1.42V threshold.

The code you see in the Object exchange is actually my code, modified by Paul Hubner to provide support for "eTrex proprietary barametric altitude" it was designed for the "On Screen Drone" http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=662310

micahp:
    as to "complexity" the code was designed to make the application somewhat device independent and easy to use. The GPS_IO object continuously reads the serial data from the GPS and makes that data available to the higher level code without needing a lage serial buffer to keep the raw data available for the application

Perry
    edited 2007-12-18 23:29
    Yes I have been looking at the code, and trying to decipher, and understand, dont know why I'm trying to reinvent the wheel but its the only way I learn. Can you explain the code a little Perry?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    So much to learn
    edited 2007-12-18 23:34
    As I am trying to learn spin I have created a file called GPS, and just threw random NMEA sentences in it. I am wondering is this the correct path for just reading the data. Next I will start learning how to parse through· the data and extract the information i want. Any improvments?
    {{FileRead.spin
                     }}
    CON
      _clkmode = xtal1 + pll16x
      _xinfreq = 5_000_000
      baud = 115200
      serXmit = 30
      serRec = 31
      CR = 13
      LF = 10

OBJ
      debug : "FullDuplexSerial"                             'To print to hyperterm
    DAT
      GPS File "GPSData.txt"                                 'File that is being read
    VAR                                                       
      byte GPGGAb[noparse][[/noparse]80]                                        'Unused right now 
      long GPGGAa[noparse][[/noparse]20]

long dataIn[noparse][[/noparse]80], Index

PUB readFile
      debug.start(serRec, serXmit, 0, baud)                   'Start the debug to see if it is reading the data

Index := 0
      repeat
        repeat while dataIn <>= "$"                           'To let us know that it is the beginning of the NMEA Sentence
          dataIn := byte[noparse][[/noparse]GPS][noparse][[/noparse]Index++]
          debug.str(dataIn)
      while dataIn <>= CR                                      'Start a new line when reach the CR
        debug.str(String(10, 13))                             

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    So much to learn

Post Edited (bboy8012) : 12/18/2007 11:44:31 PM GMT
    edited 2007-12-19 02:59
    There is a nice example of staring code in the "NMEA to SD" example http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=625503 it looks very much like what you are now writing.

I started with that example and just commented out the "sdfat code" and the first button check.

This will display data from any 4800 baud GPS receiver out there.

For a more interesting example of decoding the data, take a look at my "GPS satellites" code http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=662232 it displays the positions of the GPS satellites overhead.

Perry
  • DroneDrone Posts: 433
    edited 2007-12-19 15:32
    bboy8012,

From the looks of your last post, you've been able to scrape some code for GPS NMEA from existing examples. To move forward with parsing, take a look at Martin's GPS to VGA stuff in the Object Exchange. This uses Perry's GPS IO code to parse:

obex.parallax.com/objects/225/

In Perry's GPS IO code when parsing different NMEA sentences, I seem to remember an issue. Below is a line I changed to get the thing working with a GPS receiver that outputs a lot of data between each comma in $GPRMC. Something to look out for perhaps:

VAR
      long gps_stack[noparse][[/noparse]21]    ' Seems to need max chars between any pair of commas plus one  (,N, + 1)? Make it 21 for now

From memory... Note some general general tips when parsing NMEA... Data between delimiting commas may vary in length and/or format between devices. In-addition certain messages, like $GPGSV may contain more than one sentence per message. $GPGSV contains up to 3 sentences per message, and not all sentences may appear at all times, and (if this isn't troublesome enough) the sentences may appear out-of-order. So $GPGSV may contain up to three sentences, four satellites per sentence, but the message includes fields for number of sentences per message and sentence number within the message for each meassage. Another consideration: There are primarily two versions of NMEA out there in the mainstream. I don't remember what the version change point is but an older version has less fields at the end of each sentance than the newer version. You may or may not have to take this into acount. Consider it when optimizing buffers and/or dealing with checksums. Also, don't try to bring too much data down in terms of NMEA messages, especiallly if you want once-per-second updates. Too many messages will overwhelm 4800 bps. In-fact older GPS receivers without configurable message content would only update once every 2 seconds at 4800 as a result (i.e., Garmin GPSIII-Plus). But there is also a trade-off if your GPS can send at higher rates; you're serial driver/parser on the Propeller may not be able to process all the data in-time. Lastly - remember your time displays after processing are delayed. Professional GPS displays take the current second's data and have precision calculations to move to the next second's valid date, time etc plus a precision (often programmable) delay to compensate and ouput the current second's corrected data at the epoch of the current second's new message (yes this sounds confusing but it makes sense). This requires a lot of calculations that will bring Propeller to its knees if done regorously. So don't expect anything more than, let's say, sub 10ms accuracy; typically not a problem for most human readable applications though.

Good Luck,

David
  • potatoheadpotatohead Posts: 10,260
    edited 2007-12-19 15:42
    @Drone: Love your user image!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Propeller Wiki: Share the coolness!
    edited 2007-12-19 23:08
    Ya Potatohead, These days there aren't many of us around that remember what that guy in the picture is doing... Thanks, David
  • HarleyHarley Posts: 997
    edited 2007-12-20 01:23
    Some of us are from the era when programming a dozen 1702 EPROMs took most of the day. (fade out to black and white)

Remove old set of EPROMS. Erase for 1/2 hour of so; eraser didn't hold whole batch, so had to do this several times.

With 'paper tapes' in hand, start up Teletype reader and connect to EPROM burner. Install first tape, read in first program to program EPROM

Repeat for each EPROM. Remember to verify writing EPROM # on label and put on proper EPROM.

Tomorrow. We can fire up the system with the new EPROMs and start debugging.

And, many iterations and days/weeks later maybe this card is working right! (Fade in to today's bright colors, please)

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Harley Shanko
    edited 2007-12-20 01:42
    Lost in the sauce here all I get is strange gibberish in hyperterm
    PUB readGPS 

serial.start(gpsRec, GpsXmit, 1, gpsBaud)         'Start serial comms to get NMEA Sentences
      debug.start(serRec, serXmit, 0, baud)             'Start the debug to see if it is reading the data
      Rx:= serial.rx

repeat
        repeat while Rx <>= "$"
           dataIn := byte[noparse][[/noparse]Rx][noparse][[/noparse]Index++]
          debug.str(dataIn)
      while Rx <>= CR                             'Collect data until you get to Carriage Return

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    So much to learn
  • Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2007-12-20 02:13
    Most common source of gibberish in a serial stream is a problem with the clock (iow not setup correctly), what is your program header?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker
    Propeller Applications Engineer

Parallax, Inc.
    edited 2007-12-20 02:21
    This is the whole application when you mentioned time I checked the baudrate I had 4800 for the gps to prop, and 19200 from prop to hyperterm. Set both to 4800 still no luck and the whole clock setup I didnt even do that. Still learning as I go.
    {{FileRead.spin}}

CON
      _xinfreq = 5_000_000
      baud = 4800
      gpsBaud = 4800
      serXmit = 30
      serRec = 31
      gpsXmit = 0
      gpsRec = 20
      CR = 13
      LF = 10

OBJ
      debug : "FullDuplexSerial"                     'To print to hyperterm
      serial : "FullDuplexSerialPlus"                'To grab NMEA Sentences

VAR                                                       
      byte gps_Buff80],Index                                      
      long dataIn[noparse][[/noparse]80], Rx

PUB readGPS 

serial.start(gpsRec, GpsXmit, 1, gpsBaud)
      debug.start(serRec, serXmit, 0, baud)  
      Rx:= serial.rx

repeat
        repeat while Rx <>= "$"
          dataIn := byte[noparse][[/noparse]Rx][noparse][[/noparse]Index++]
          debug.str(dataIn)
          waitcnt(clkfreq/5 + cnt)
      while Rx <>= CR        'Collect data until you get to Carriage Return

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    So much to learn

Post Edited (bboy8012) : 12/20/2007 2:37:41 AM GMT
    edited 2007-12-20 02:49
    I think the key to your gibbersih is debug.tx(dataIn) instead of debug.chr(dataIn)

you are confusing strings with characters

Perry
  • micahpmicahp Posts: 11
    edited 2007-12-20 03:55
    I was getting a bunch of gibberish as well. I found if I waited to get a full NMEA sentence and then sent it over the debug serial line it worked fine.

CON
      _xinfreq = 5_000_000

OBJ 
        dbg_ser  : "FullDuplexSerial"
        gps_ser  : "Simple_Serial"

VAR
      byte rx, dbg_rx, bFoundStart, array[noparse][[/noparse]256]
      long idx

pub main

idx := 0
      bFoundStart := 0

' start up the debugger...
      dbg_ser.start(31, 30, 0, 19200) 
      waitcnt (1_000_000 * 25 + cnt )

dbg_ser.str(string("GPS Device Started..."))
      dbg_ser.tx(13)
      dbg_ser.tx(10)

' start up gps serial communication...
      gps_ser.start(18, 17, 4800)
      waitcnt (1_000_000 * 25 + cnt )

repeat

rx := gps_ser.rx

if rx == 36 ' ascii $ which is the beginning of the NMEA string
          bFoundStart := 1  ' we can now start capturing a NMEA line...

if bFoundStart == 1 'found the start of the string

if rx == 10 ' ascii CR (end of NMEA string

array[noparse][[/noparse]idx] := 0         ' null terminate as string...
            idx := 0                ' start over
            bFoundStart := 0        ' start over

dbg_ser.str(@array[noparse][[/noparse]0])
            dbg_ser.tx(13)
            dbg_ser.tx(10)

else ' just copying the data

array[noparse][[/noparse]idx] := rx
            idx++

edited 2007-12-20 16:29
    Often "Gibberish" resulting from parsing and processing/displaying NMEA message data fields is the result of not taking into consideration the data fields are variable from sentence to sentence...

As I alluded to in a previous post in this thread... GPS sentences have variable data fiield lengths. If you don't take this into account when displaying your NMEA input data to a debug display, you will often end-up with "Gibberish" as one set of input data ovrelays and/or corrupts a previous set when even one data fileld changes in length. Different devices handle this differently, even among different NMEA sentences in a single device. The NMEA "standard" allows this. In addittion, any field can be any size across devices, fixed or variable in length. The NMEA spec makes sense in this respect, 'pack as much data as possible into what can be transmitted in one second (espeically at 4800 baud=4800 bps with RS-232)' and leave the format up to the manufacturer. Again, don't forget NMEA allows multi-sentence messages to arrive out-of-order as well.

Starting with fixed arrays will often lead you down the path of "gibberish" when NMEA data input varies in length.

I recommend the following debug procedure:

Don't start with arrays... simple top-down serial parse, and output, one field per line to a debug display...

1. Debug $GPRMC first, output to your debug device ONE field per line allowing multiple characters per line.

2. If that is working then debug $GPGSV, this is a (typically) a two or three line sentence (take it one line at a time) and do the same as with $GPRMC, one field per line of debug output. Watch the fields vary in length as often is the case with $GPGSV.

Now knit your variable length data into fixed length arrays (if necessary) - recognize however this WILL make your application very device specific; even single device firmware version specific! Something you don't want to do with production code.
    edited 2007-12-20 21:03
    Ok as I have been hard at work today as you can see, I have been googling on how to parse serial data, and no avail. I was looking at the GPS to Vga code, but I kind would like an explanation, so I can understand it, and not just copy it. Once again reinventing the wheel

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Hunger hurts, starvation works!
    edited 2007-12-20 22:52
    Short explanation of GPS_IO in the propeller object exchange GPS_TO_VGA

the GPS_IO starts a serial receive channel for the GPS module

it then receives GPS strings replacing commas with nulls

When the whole string is finished (CR detected) it copies that buffer to a permanent buffer, based on a few characters at the beginning for the captured message that identify which message was received. While it is doing that copy it builds an array if pointers to the begining of each field in the message.

that leaves nothing for the user functions (ie heading, date ,time, ....) to do but return the address of the string that contains the data requested.

the last valid data should always be available.

as some people have noted it does not work for all GPS receivers. I suppose I could add some more defensive code in it to make sure that writing to the pointer tables does not get out of bounds, as well as a checksum routine to discard bad messages ....

Perry
    edited 2007-12-20 23:31
    Thanks Perry

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Hunger hurts, starvation works!