Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Video game machine hack. — Parallax Forums

Video game machine hack.

DgswanerDgswaner Posts: 795
edited 2008-01-04 16:21 in Propeller 1
I just wanted to get some input on my idea before I go too far into it. well before buying a few things anyway. I found an old Mrs. Pacman arcade machine, the main controller or some other part of it is fried, a new screen was just put in and it functions. I can pick up the machine for $100.00 I thought this would be a cool thing to have and play with, but add a Hydra to it rather than try and fix it. I really think my kids would like it. (and me too). I'm not too familiar with the Hydra and I'm becoming familiar with the propeller. I know I can interface the controls pretty easily as they are simple switches. and the sound should be straight forward. the Video I'm not too sure about. but I think it's just a NTCS type TV that I would just connect to. This all seems too easy. am I missing something. or am I just experiencing the power of the propeller! has anyone done this and would like to point out a few tips or tricks?

Thanks

Dave

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
"A complex design is the sign of an inferior designer." - Jamie Hyneman, Myth Buster

DGSwaner

Comments

• potatoheadpotatohead Posts: 10,260
    edited 2007-12-17 19:50
    That's a fine idea.

For $100, it's a good deal too. The DK game Cardboard completed would play nicely on that cabinet right as it stands. Propeller will be able to generate a good video signal for the screen as well. I'll bet that's just some changes to the display driver at the worst. The kids will enjoy DK. It's a great platformer.

I don't think the screen is NTSC. I do know most of them can be driven by most VGA cards. Some software effort will be required there. The specs on those screens are avaliable on the net. Go do some digging on the MAME project and the cabinet works associated with that. Lots of info. You could always punt and install a MAME running computer too, so the cabinet would not be wasted, should the prop stuff exceed your free time.

Sound is at worst a scavenged AMP, or a home built one. Coupla watts at the least will deliver plenty of game sound though the speakers already mounted.

A while back I helped a friend retrofit a cabinet. Damn cool project. That one was a PC running a DOS based arcade os. Had menus, lots of games, and would drive most screens directly with an older Matrox VGA.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Propeller Wiki: Share the coolness!

Post Edited (potatohead) : 12/17/2007 8:00:26 PM GMT
  • ColeyColey Posts: 1,110
    edited 2007-12-17 21:03
    Hey short of blowing our own trumpet here, what you need is a Hybrid and a PropGFX, that can drive an RGB monitor directly (as most old arcade machines use RGB monitors)
    You can easily adapt the controls for use with the atari compatible joystick ports and you will benefit from the SD Card for storage of all the games!

Check it out at www.propgfx.co.uk/forum/Blah.pl?b-pb/m-1192580952/ devil.gif

Regards,

Coley
  • Oldbitcollector (Jeff)Oldbitcollector (Jeff) Posts: 8,091
    edited 2007-12-17 21:47
    @Coley:Quit teasing us!!!! I want to build one of those!!

A MSpacman with a dead mainboard for $100. [noparse][[/noparse]a steal!] Yes, this sounds like a great Propeller based project!

OBC

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    New to the Propeller?

Getting started with the Protoboard? - Propeller Cookbook
    Got an SD card? - PropDOS
    A Living Propeller FAQ - The Propeller Wiki
    (Got the Knowledge? Got a Moment? Add something today!)

• JT CookJT Cook Posts: 487
    edited 2007-12-18 00:15
    I would say pick it up. The monitor in the machine is neither NTSC nor VGA, but RGB (like what an Amiga would be hooked up to) so there isn't any code that would interface it natively. But you have two options, throw a TV in there and wire up the controllers or find a MS Pacman board.

Also what I did is make a Mame cab out of a Track and Field machine. The monitor was fried so I put in a VGA one and found some cheap powered PC speakers, stripped the speaker and wired it to the speaker that was in the cab.
  • DgswanerDgswaner Posts: 795
    edited 2007-12-18 07:07
    ya I think this is too good of a deal to pass up. I've always wanted to tinker with an arcade machine, best part is it's local so I don't have to pay for shipping. I'm sure I could find the parts to fix it, but I don't really want a ms pacman I want a toy to play with so I'm definitely going to a propeller in it. just for fun I thinking perhaps a computer too.

thanks for the heads up on the video. I knew I'd run into a snag somewhere. The repair man can tell me exactly what he put in so I'll know for sure. and go from there.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "A complex design is the sign of an inferior designer." - Jamie Hyneman, Myth Buster

DGSwaner
  • Dennis FerronDennis Ferron Posts: 480
    edited 2007-12-19 04:13
    I'm planning on doing the same thing: I got an old arcade machine out of the town dump (which is by my house) and I'm just going to take the old screen out of it, put a VGA monitor in, and connect the controls to my Hydra.
    edited 2007-12-19 05:55
    I would hook up a TV instead of a VGA because there really isn't any software that uses VGA for the Hydra.
    edited 2007-12-19 06:49
    so would you recommend a TV?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

DGSwaner
    edited 2008-01-03 22:50
    YAY!!! I'm driving home with Ms. Pac Man tonight! I'm pretty excited! does this mean I can take the commute lane?

I'll post photos when I get home.

I found out the the screen does work, as well as the CPU... it powers up makes noise and everything but the video isn't getting to the screen. at least that's what the TV repair tech said. I'm not sure I can bring my self to gut a fixable machine..... we'll see what the repair estimates come in at.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

DGSwaner

Post Edited (Dgswaner) : 1/3/2008 10:55:44 PM GMT
  • Oldbitcollector (Jeff)Oldbitcollector (Jeff) Posts: 8,091
    edited 2008-01-04 01:16
    Bet money he has Ms Pacman working by the weekend....

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    New to the Propeller?

Getting started with the Protoboard? - Propeller Cookbook
    Got an SD card? - PropDOS
    A Living Propeller FAQ - The Propeller Wiki
    (Got the Knowledge? Got a Moment? Add something today!)

edited 2008-01-04 02:09
    How do you know the monitor is still working if you can't get a picture on it?
  • BamseBamse Posts: 561
    edited 2008-01-04 05:38
    Kewl...

Any pictures yet ?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Living on the planet Earth might be expensive but it includes a free trip around the sun every year...

Experience level:
    [noparse][[/noparse] ] Let's connect the motor to pin 1, it's a 6V motor so it should be fine.
    [noparse][[/noparse] ] OK, I got my resistors hooked up with the LEDs.
    [noparse][[/noparse]X] I got the Motor hooked up with the H-bridge and the 555 is supplying the PWM.
    [noparse][[/noparse] ] Now, if I can only program the BOE-BOT to interface with he Flux Capacitor.
    [noparse][[/noparse] ] I dream in SX28 assembler...

/Bamse
    edited 2008-01-04 16:21
    sorry no pictures yet.... left the camera at work! doh!

There is something to be said about Arcade machines! just like movies and the in theater experience. Firing up the arcade and hearing the familiar tune of Ms. pac man. and the whole look and feel. it just can't be duplicated in front of the TV. the same song on a TV doesn't sound the same as the arcade.

The Screen. it works because the TV guy said it does... I have no other way of verifying it.

but I have bad/good news. It won't be working by the weekend! From what I can tell there is no "video card" each game board not only holds the game but has the video driver and audio amp on it. so if the monitor is working then the problem lies in the game board. which I have no idea how to fix, but that brings me to the good news! it's broke! I'm free to hack it.

I'm going to start by looking for a 19" TV to put in it. and save my pesos for a Hydra!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

DGSwaner