Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
sensor PING Parallax. Which Power supply do I use? — Parallax Forums

sensor PING Parallax. Which Power supply do I use?

anaisa francoanaisa franco Posts: 3
edited 2007-12-12 18:28 in Propeller 1
Hi,
I have the sensor PING from Parallax working with Arduino. When it is using the 5V power from computer USB it works perfectly, but when I plug a power supply 5V 800 mA, the sensor doesnt work. in the datasheet of PING they say that it uses Supply Current – 30 mA typ; 35 mA max.

the arduino and the leds are working fine with the power supply I have here, only the sensor is not working.

Do you have any idea of what power supply I should get to function everything toghter?

I am using 24 red bright leds 5mm measuring the distance with Ping through light intensity. just that.

Thanks for helping!
anaisa

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2007-12-12 16:21
    The ground connection of the power supply has to be connected to the ground connection of the Arduino. Also, make sure that the new power supply is working properly. Check its output voltage with a meter. If it still doesn't work, you will have to draw a schematic of the actual wiring of your setup and attach it to your message so we can look for errors. If you have a 5V power supply that can produce perhaps 50mA and it's connected properly, it should work.
  • anaisa francoanaisa franco Posts: 3
    edited 2007-12-12 16:37
    Hi,
    the power supply is working with the arduino and the leds fine. but it is not turning on only the sensor...
    It works separetely, arduino and leds...

Do you thing i should try a power supply with low mA?

because in the PING datasheet it says that the max is 35 mA...

Do you thing the power supply has too power?

It works fine when using the USB from computer...

strange....
    edited 2007-12-12 16:51
    Please read the note I wrote previously.

If you did not understand it, please let me know.
  • anaisa francoanaisa franco Posts: 3
    edited 2007-12-12 17:50
    it worked now!
    i change the voltage to 6 V !

thanks so much for your help!

ana
    edited 2007-12-12 18:28
    Please read the datasheet for the PING. It is designed to use a 5V power supply. If your 6V power supply goes above 6V, it can damage the PING))) and possibly the Arduino. It is very common for unregulated or lightly regulated power supplies to produce a higher voltage than their label says when they are lightly loaded.