Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Hydra newbie — Parallax Forums

Hydra newbie

mikedivmikediv Posts: 825
edited 2007-12-11 19:54 in Propeller 1
Hey guys I ordered a Hydra system with the intent to learn how to program I have played around with basic and some assembler for the motorola 6800 can you guys point a novice in the right direction which should I concentrate my efforts on ,, Assembler or a higher level compiler???? Thanks I would ove to learn to write graphics programs so I could have a GUI front end for my hardware projects.. thanks again awesome fourm some real genius here I am impressed.
Mike

·

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2007-12-11 18:50
    The Hydra is a good place to start, mostly because of Andre's excellent book. You will do well enough with Spin (the "high level" language) for now. It is more than capable for doing a fancy GUI. In addition to the graphics described in the book, there is a graphics library included with the Propeller Tool (graphics.spin) and, like all of the library routines, there are examples of its use.

Have a look at the Propeller Education Kit tutorials and peruse the Propeller Forum as well. Do have a look at the Propeller Object Exchange. There are many programs and I/O drivers that are usable with the Hydra and others that are usable with a two line change to the main program (to change the clock crystal frequency and mode to that used by the Hydra).
  • mikedivmikediv Posts: 825
    edited 2007-12-11 19:54
    Thanks Mike I have read quite a few of your posts I am a big fan I hope you don't mind once I get my system if I ask you several million questions lol no just kidding just several 1000