Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Question about PE Kit wiring — Parallax Forums

Question about PE Kit wiring

cerberusscerberuss Posts: 7
edited 2007-12-14 17:50 in Propeller 1
what am i doing wrong? i have everything hooked up properly to the wiring diagram i get the power led to come on when i hook up the power but nothing when i plug the usb in it wont find the chip and the led doesnt turn on at all. ive tried wiring it up to just the basic schematic to just see the chip and still nothing.

<Subject added by moderator>

Post Edited By Moderator (Paul Baker (Parallax)) : 12/11/2007 6:03:51 PM GMT
2592 x 1944 - 1M

Comments

• DgswanerDgswaner Posts: 795
    edited 2007-12-11 04:02
    can you provide a link or a schematic to what you are trying to make. disconnect the prop plug from your project. then disconnect and reconnect the USB cable. do the light flash when you plug it in. and does it make the windows "click a dunk" sound? if not you need to install/reinstall the drivers for the prop plug. or resolve the other issues with it.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "A complex design is the sign of an inferior designer." - Jamie Hyneman, Myth Buster

DGSwaner
  • rjo_rjo_ Posts: 1,825
    edited 2007-12-11 06:21
    Looks good to me... except I can't tell about the resistor. And it looks like you need a resistor from k8 to k11.

Look at your capacitors locations, if you aren't sure, post your how you have them seated. It could be a battery problem or a polarity issue. Un-powered and hooked up to the computer through the USB you should see a faint glow on the LED.

You are very close.
  • cerberusscerberuss Posts: 7
    edited 2007-12-11 07:49
    thanks ill give the resistor a try, but·what would it do from k8 to k11 though? the schematic im using is from the starter setup and testing lab http://parallax.com/Portals/0/Downloads/docs/prod/prop/PE-Lab-Setup-v1.0.pdf as well as the cover diagram that was included in the box lol. I dont think its a battery issue because· I decided to ditch the 9v battery and cut up a dc converter from a old router the has a output of 4.5v, I tested all the hotlines and they all read 3.3v so im not sure confused.gif. which components could be having a polarity issue? I checked the prop and eeprom chip about a dozen times making sure the notch was facing towards the transitors, checked the transistors the bce's are where they are suppose to be by the schematic as well as the capacitors. Even tried it on all my computers my laptop my main (both running vista) and my server (duel boot with linux or winxp pro) and they all had the same issue so it has to be something on the board that im just missing or the chip is bad. I really appreciate the help so far Three cheers for helpful people burger.gif
  • deSilvadeSilva Posts: 2,967
    edited 2007-12-11 09:04
    Hard to see. The resistor should pull up the SDA line so it is most likely fine (and would just avoid to access the EEPROM)..

It is terribly useful to build a circuitry step by step, as we programmers have learned the hard way for 50 years now..

(a) Build up the power supply and the main power connections (red and black)

(b) Using your multimeter check all voltages that should be 3.3V

(c) Insert the USB Plug and connect its four lines (Note there is a better place to do it than in the original
    proposition: stick it - upside down! - directly into the last two pins of the Chip.)

(d) Insert the Propeller Chip!
    It should run now! You need no EEPROM, no quartz - all poppycock!
    If not, check the wires - there are few and that should be easy!

(e) Connect the EEPROM

(f) Can you load a programm with F11?

(g) Add and check the reset button!

(h) Connect BOE and insert the quartz! Does it still run?

(i) Add a 100nF cap between Vss and Vdd of the Propeller pins

Post Edited (deSilva) : 12/11/2007 5:55:38 PM GMT
  • simonlsimonl Posts: 866
    edited 2007-12-11 09:32
    Haven't checked completely, but your Xtal doesn't look like it's connected correctly - are its pins in holes that goe to XI and XO (unless you've bent the xtals pins, I would expect the xtal to be at 45deg angle to the PChip).

That said, I'm not convinced that'd cause the problem you're seeing. I'll check further later, but first glance suggests it all looks OK.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Cheers,

Simon
    www.norfolkhelicopterclub.co.uk
    You'll always have as many take-offs as landings, the trick is to be sure you can take-off again ;-)
    BTW: I type as I'm thinking, so please don't take any offense at my writing style smile.gif
    edited 2007-12-11 10:10
    Hi cerberuss,

Well, I can't see anything wrong with the wiring.

You say:
    cerberuss said...
    ...i get the power led to come on when i hook up the power but nothing when i plug the usb in...
    This may be a silly question, but, do you still have the "dc converter" powering the board when the USB is connected (i.e. you're not expecting the USB to provide power are you?).

Only other suggestion I can make is to carefully check your voltages throught the board, starting from the regulators and working towards the PChip.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Cheers,

Simon
    You'll always have as many take-offs as landings, the trick is to be sure you can take-off again ;-)
    BTW: I type as I'm thinking, so please don't take any offense at my writing style smile.gif
    edited 2007-12-11 10:15
    Thanks for all the replies soon as i get home ill test out your suggestions (sitting at work) lol no i dont expect the usb to power it all, but i have tried the power plugged in and unplugged with the usb and the only time i get a light is when the power cord is plugged in, but nothing with the USB. the crystal is plugged in it just got bent a little and i forgot to cut the wires down to look more neat.
  • Thomas StickneyThomas Stickney Posts: 23
    edited 2007-12-11 13:12
    On page 6 of the assembly/setup lab it says if you are going to use a external DC supply of 6 to 9V
    to install a .47uf 25V electrolytic capacitor across the 9V battery / input pin of the 5V regulator.

I don't see that cap in the power supply area of your breadboard picture

The cap is included with the kit
    edited 2007-12-11 13:18
    Good catch Thomas; although cerberuss says his supply has a 4.5V output, I guess it might be rippling and the cap would help with that.

On the other had; if the power LED lights up until he attaches the USB, I guess there must be some sort of short? (but I am just guessing!)

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Cheers,

Simon
  • Fred HawkinsFred Hawkins Posts: 997
    edited 2007-12-11 20:34
    cerberuss, if you are using a 9v battery, make certain that it is new. The only time my PEKit didn't work, that was the problem. And could you post an in-focus and unblurred photo? The one here doesn't show the power caps' polarity.
  • edited 2007-12-12 02:42
    cerberuss,
    cerberuss said...
    ...i get the power led to come on when i hook up the power but nothing when i plug the usb in it wont find the chip and the led doesnt turn on at all....
    Which LED doesn't turn on at all, the power LED or the communication LEDs on the Propeller Plug?
    cerberuss said...
    I decided to ditch the 9v battery and cut up a dc converter from a old router the has a output of 4.5v, I tested all the hotlines and they all read 3.3v so im not sure . which components could be having a polarity issue?
    Please use a fresh, new 9 V alkaline battery until we are done with the trouble-shooting.· It'll remove an unknown that could be causing or contributing to the problem.· If you are applying 4.5 V instead of 9 V·across the LM2940's intput and ground pins, it is probably right on the edge of its dropout voltage and attempting to bring·the Propeller chip·out of sleep for programming might pull it below the dropout voltage.· I'm not sure if it's possible here, but I'd also like to use the battery to rule out any possibility of dueling power supply grounds.· (Your PS vs. USB PS, especially if it's your power LED that won't turn on when you plug in the USB.)· So, please do use a 9 V battery for the time being.

Another wiring question:· How much bare wire is on the red wire that passes underneath the Propeller plug?· If there is bare wire touching the Vss connection, it could explain why the power LED won't come on when you plug in the USB cable.· It could be shorting against the Propeller Plug's Vss pad.·

Andy

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Andy Lindsay

Education Department
    Parallax, Inc.
    edited 2007-12-12 08:48
    its wierd cause i get a good amount of voltage with just the usb plugged in, the led reads 2.2v with just the usb plugged in but it doesnt turn on. If i have the battery and the usb hooked up the led comes on and just the battery itself will turn the led on. I'm using a new 9v battery and have completely redid all the wiring. could it be the usb plug
  • ClemensClemens Posts: 236
    edited 2007-12-12 09:09
    With just the usb plugged in the led only lights up very dim, hardly visible in daylight.
    In fact·a different green led than the one in my kit doesn't light up at all when I only plug in the usb.
    Does the led on the usb-plug itself light up?

The power from the usb input is NOT enough to run the propeller, you need the battery connected even when usb is plugged!
  • edited 2007-12-12 17:25
    cerberuss,
    cerberuss said...
    ...i get a good amount of voltage with just the usb plugged in, the led reads 2.2v with just the usb plugged in but it doesnt turn on. If i have the battery and the usb hooked up the led comes on and just the battery itself will turn the led on. I'm using a new 9v battery and have completely redid all the wiring. could it be the usb plug
    That is normal behavior for the PE Platform.· The battery should be plugged in whenever you download or run a program.·

Go into your PC's Device Manager and watch the Ports (COM & LPT) list when you plug/unplug the USB mini B into/from the Propeller Plug.··Verify that "USB Serial Port (COMx)", where x is the COM port number, appears and disappears.·

Next, download the PushbuttonLedTest.spin into the Propeller chip (with both battery and Propeller Plug connected) by pressing F10 on your keyboard with the PushbuttonLedTest tab active in the Propeller Tool software.··If the download is not successful, what does the Error window say about COMx?

Andy

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Andy Lindsay

Education Department
    Parallax, Inc.
    edited 2007-12-13 03:55
    i cant download the eeprom if the computer wont even identify the chip. im using a new battery redid all the wiring (again) and added the resistor to the pins j8 to j11 and still nothing happens i get voltage but it still doesnt detect the chip. i know what port its on i have tried setting it to every single cm i can use and still yet nothing cry.gif .
  • edited 2007-12-14 01:18
    cerberuss,
    Andy Lindsay said...
    Go into your PC's Device Manager and watch the Ports (COM & LPT) list when you plug/unplug the USB mini B into/from the Propeller Plug.··Verify that "USB Serial Port (COMx)", where x is the COM port number, appears and disappears.
    So, did you verify this?· What was the result?

Another item that will be helpful is a description of what the LEDs on the Propeller Plug do when you connect it to the PC with the USB cable.
    cerberuss said...
    i cant download the eeprom if the computer wont even identify the chip....i know what port its on i have tried setting it to every single cm i can use and still yet nothing ...
    I didn't ask you to.· Here, read the instructions and question again.
    Andy Lindsay said...
    Next, download the PushbuttonLedTest.spin into the Propeller chip (with both battery and Propeller Plug connected) by pressing F10 on your keyboard with the PushbuttonLedTest tab active in the Propeller Tool software.··If the download is not successful, what does the Error window say about COMx?
    I asked you what message you received if your download to ram was unsuccessful.

There are four items of information I'm asking for in this post.· Please try to answer them coherently; it'll make it easier for us to aid you in trouble-shooting.

Thanks, Andy

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Andy Lindsay

Education Department
    Parallax, Inc.
    edited 2007-12-14 04:45
    ok its ok com1 the led's on the plug flash blue and red twice when i hook the plug up the com port disappears and reappears if i hook the usb in and then remove the usb. if i open up the propeller tool and open up the PushbuttonLedTest.spin it says no propeller chip found on any com port then scanned com 1. i get the same error message with everything i do same error message when i hit f7 to just identify the hardware. and i have said that i cant even identify it before and there is a new 9v battery hooked up and the led is glowing with·the the battery plugged in. hope this info helps.
  • kenmackenmac Posts: 96
    edited 2007-12-14 09:33
    cerberuss,

Did you confirm the connections on your Prop Plug are the same as the diagram?
    I had a problem with another version of the Plug, on which the connections were different.
    On mine the Tx and Rx pins were the two inner ones of the four.

However, I would assume that they would put the correct version (matching the diagram) in the PE Kit.

kenmac

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Perth, Western Australia
    Time Zone = GMT + 8
  • edited 2007-12-14 17:50
    cerberuss,

Yes, that helps. Don't worry, we'll get that PE kit up and running. Please contact me via email at your earliest convenience using the email button to the left of this post.

Thanks, Andy

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Andy Lindsay

Education Department
    Parallax, Inc.