Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
SD/MicroSD card reader — Parallax Forums

SD/MicroSD card reader

Aaron193Aaron193 Posts: 27
edited 2007-12-11 22:49 in Propeller 1
Many of you know my famous schpiels where I ask some of the silliest (or maybe not) questions. I have another one for you all; this time it's regarding PCBs.

It seems that, other than the new Parallax Propeller/display/MicroSD Card Reader, Parallax doesn't make card readers of any sort. (If they do, I'd be happy to find a part number).

Anyway, how would I go about designing a basic SD card reader?
Also, does anyone (I presume the answer is "yes") know the pinout for one of these things?

Thanks,
Aaron

Comments

• ClemensClemens Posts: 236
    edited 2007-12-10 22:51
    How do you like that one? :-)
    http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=661502
    or you can order one here:
    http://www.ucontroller.com/

There are SD Card Objects in the object Exchange and the latest PropDos supports SD too.
    The pin configuration is documented·in the objects·also.
    Cheers,

Clemens
    ·
  • RaymanRayman Posts: 14,162
    edited 2007-12-10 23:33
    I've also got some info here:

http://www.rayslogic.com/propeller/Programming/SD_Card/SD_Card.htm

I think the cheapest way would be to buy a uSD card with adapter and solder to the adapter.

Note that I'm pretty sure now that you don't really need connections on Pins 1 & 9
  • parts-man73parts-man73 Posts: 830
    edited 2007-12-10 23:44
    I'll warn you, I have only 2 left in stock. This has been by far the best selling circuit board I have. Once those 2 are sold, I will post a notice on my website that I'm sold out, and more will be in approximately 2 weeks from now.

This is the only circuit board that I sell that comes pre-assembled, since most, if not all SD sockets seem to be surface mount. I solder them together and test them before shipping.

If you want schematics to make your own SD connections. Just look at the documentation for my board, there is a diagram showing the proper pullup resistor and Propeller pins to use.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Brian

uController.com - home of SpinStudio

PropNIC - Add ethernet ability to your Propeller!

SD card Adapter
  • Oldbitcollector (Jeff)Oldbitcollector (Jeff) Posts: 8,091
    edited 2007-12-11 00:50
    I have had success with building my own SD adapters using direct connections from the I/O to the proper pins of the socket. (Details in the Cookbook link below) The one I just built was designed using a sample socket I had on hand and one of uController's Protocards. The Molex surface mount SD socket works fine on a piece of perf if you take a moment to drop a dab of solder into each of the copper holes, then it's a small matter of holding the socket down with your thumb and pushing the connections together using the tip of your hot soldering pencil.

If you've got the parts it's an easy build, otherwise pick up one from ucontroller, they certainly look pretty on my propeller. [noparse]:)[/noparse]

OBC

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Just getting started with Propeller?

Propeller Cookbook

PropDOS
  • DufferDuffer Posts: 374
    edited 2007-12-11 03:44
  • Aaron193Aaron193 Posts: 27
    edited 2007-12-11 22:49
    By the way, why does it seem that 4D Systems has a lot of products "in production" and about one or two that are "coming soon?" It seems kind of odd; almost as if they just made a big investment and are about to "reap the benefits." Does anyone know what's going on?