Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
BS2px — Parallax Forums

BS2px

MathMath Posts: 2
edited 2013-06-10 16:51 in BASIC Stamp
Hi,

I would like to refer to [url=mailto:NV@V]NV[/url] Column #83, program simple GPS.BSP.
When using the· program on a· BS2p40 in a P40 Demo Board, the program shows the data in the debug window.
When using, however a BS2px in a board of education , the debug window doesn't show any data; although I set the baudrate in the debug window on 19200, as requested.
Any idea what could be wrong?
Many thanks in advance.
Math

Comments

• Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2007-12-10 19:56
    The BS2px24 also has different timing for serial communication parameters for SERIN and SEROUT. Are you adjusting these values accordingly for the BS2px24?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
  • MathMath Posts: 2
    edited 2007-12-11 08:38
    Good morning Chris,

Sorry,·I should, indeed·have set the baudrate on 17.197 (8 bit, no parity, inverted ) for a BS2px24 i.l.o. keeping it on 16848 for a BS2p40.(as in the column)

Many thanks.

Math
  • i4linguali4lingual Posts: 4
    edited 2013-03-27 21:15
    Chris,
    Since this Thread concerns the BS2px and the BS2p40, I thought I should write here.
    I just purchased (and received) some Processor chips for the BS2px and BS2p40. The chips I received are exactly the same.
    Do these two models use the same processors? Is it just the resonator speed that differenciates these two?
    I am about to solder these chips onto the PCB.
    When I purchased these chips the number on the photo said: SX48BD/TQ for the p40 and SX48BD/TQ-G .
    All eight chips that I received (ordered 4 of each for the px and p40) have the SX48BD/TQ-G marking on the chip.
    Looking forward to your reply.
    Regards,
    David
    edited 2013-03-28 08:36
    The BS2p series BASIC Stamps are comprised of an interpreter programmed into the SX48 MCU. All BS2p models use the same SX48 chip to hold the interpreter, however the firmware on the SX48 is different depending on the model. Since the chips are not marked with which model they belong to, you'll want to keep them in the packaging until you're ready so you don't get them confused with the others.

Yes, the resonator speeds are different on different models and the firmware is programmed with the correct settings for the given model and the resonator and resistor used. I hope this helps.
  • xanatosxanatos Posts: 1,120
    edited 2013-03-29 13:46
    Chris, sorry to momentarily hijack this thread - just curious on the status of BS2px production. That's the chip I need for my DieselDock product... no BS2px, no DieselDock (at least not the 8 hose version).

Thanks,

Dave
    edited 2013-03-29 14:34
    I hadn't realized we were out of stock on these. Not sure how long we have been, however I lit a fire for manufacturing, so it shouldn't be long now.
    edited 2013-04-01 10:11
    Thanks Chris. I've had some on order with Jameco since last September at least. I only found out a week or so ago that it was due to it needing a redesign due to one of the subcomponents being disco'd early by their manufacturers... So I'm just a bit nervous... :-) Seriously looking forward to getting new BS2px chips on hand :-)

Thanks!
    edited 2013-04-01 13:26
    I did look into that and unfortunately don't have a time-table for when we'll have the issue solved. In the mean time you may find addtional stock through our distributors.
  • i4linguali4lingual Posts: 4
    edited 2013-04-01 21:44
    Chis,
    Thanks for the quick reply! However, "Ouch", The chips came in a cute little brown box, the ICs just sitting on top of the anti-static foam. Looking at the box, I see there are some dimly scribbled numbers on the outside of the box. In retrospect this probably is supposed to indicated the respective location inside the box, However, the ICs were slightly jumbled when I opened the box and I already removed them from the box, to put with the rest of the components, thus I have no clue how to distinguish the chips....
    Any ideas about what to do?
    I am considering soldering on a TQFP socket (a royal pain) so I can swap ICs until I discover which is which. I've done this before with a 0.5mm pitch TSOP 48 FLASH chip, and it worked like a charm.
    Any extra insght would be appreciated.
    THanks,
    David
    edited 2013-04-02 10:08
    David,

If you were stateside I woul suggest sending them in to us to reprogram and send back to you more clearly marked and separated. At this point, based on your location if you have the socket you could connect the chip to an SX-Key (4 connections) and ID the chip from there. This would tell you which is which.
  • PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2013-04-22 16:48
    Any update on BS2PX availability? I sent all my inventory to Xanatos to get him through the crisis. I will be needing in 1-2 months.

Thanks,

Jim
    edited 2013-04-22 20:49
    We're hoping in one month to go back to production. Please check back then and I will post where we are at that time.
    edited 2013-05-01 12:05
    I still have one left - if it gets close to crunch time, let me know and I'll ship it back!

Dave
    edited 2013-05-01 12:22
    xanatos wrote: »
    I still have one left - if it gets close to crunch time, let me know and I'll ship it back!

Dave

I'm good for now Dave.

I know Parallax will be true to their word. :)

Jim
    edited 2013-06-10 09:06
    Is production getting closer?
    edited 2013-06-10 11:18
    It is...we have some new boards on order for production. Hopefully when they get here we can get these built and tested as quickly as possible and if they pass environmental testing we should be good for this month.
    edited 2013-06-10 16:51
    Thanks for the update Chris!