Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Introducing the "Propodore" — Parallax Forums

Introducing the "Propodore"

Oldbitcollector (Jeff)Oldbitcollector (Jeff) Posts: 8,091
edited 2008-05-01 18:14 in Propeller 1
Finally getting a project done that I started a year ago...

Introducing: The Propodore (a personal microcomputer with a strangely familar look)

Using a SpinStudio card, with various connections.
The breadboard has a PICAXE running as interface for the C= keyboard.

I still need to write a keyboard driver for this, but I have it working nicely in
a version of Femto, as well as in the terminal under PropDOS.

BTW: @Brian: The SpinStudio Protocard is AWESOME! I was able to create a angled SD card
within 10 mins! And still had plenty of room for other connections.

OBC

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
Just getting started with Propeller?

Propeller Cookbook

PropDOS
408 x 199 - 19K
408 x 308 - 15K
408 x 308 - 22K
408 x 308 - 33K
408 x 308 - 32K

Comments

• TheWizard65TheWizard65 Posts: 91
    edited 2007-12-09 04:32
    Great Photo's Jeff. Although It looked better in person. Yes I'm guilty of helping this project into birth. Great Job oldbitcollector (Jeff) Can't wait to see the response from this.

Post Edited (TheWizard65) : 12/9/2007 5:17:45 AM GMT
  • rjo_rjo_ Posts: 1,825
    edited 2007-12-09 06:02
    It looks like a Prop-64...

I've got some Mac Classics laying around... Do you want one? I can through it into my next shipment... which should be going out on Monday[noparse]:)[/noparse]

Merry Christmas.

Rich
  • mosquito56mosquito56 Posts: 387
    edited 2007-12-09 07:54
    Your project made me think of Jurrasic Park, Bring dino's back to life. Nice work, brings back OLLLLDDDD memories.

Don.

P.S. gives me an idea to buy some trs-80's at the flea market and redo for fun.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Mosquito: An animal which buzzes in your ear and never stops. He may byte you, he may nibble you, but you will know you were bit.
  • BaggersBaggers Posts: 3,019
    edited 2007-12-09 10:57
    OBC it looks great.

Although now, it looks like we'll have to get someone to do a speceller ( or a proptrum depending on which one you prefer the sound of [noparse];)[/noparse] too.

Baggers.
  • AleAle Posts: 2,363
    edited 2007-12-09 12:28
    There went my idea of an AmiProp [noparse];)[/noparse], a propeller powered system... in an Amiga 600 enclosure (I do not have any C64), but have several amigas and an atarist
  • Oldbitcollector (Jeff)Oldbitcollector (Jeff) Posts: 8,091
    edited 2007-12-09 17:24
    @Rich: Would love to have a "classic" -- Not sure if I could butcher it in working condition.
    The Commodore was already quite dead when I started, it was salvaged from a C= expo
    I attended. (The freebie table)

I would love to see a TRS-80 version of this, or that AmiProp!

OBC

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Propeller Cookbook

PropDOS
  • parts-man73parts-man73 Posts: 830
    edited 2007-12-09 18:21
    proud to see some of my circuit boards on the inside!

Nice Work!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Brian

uController.com - home of SpinStudio

PropNIC - Add ethernet ability to your Propeller!

SD card Adapter
    edited 2007-12-09 19:36
    I had requests for some screenshots of the Propodoor in action..

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Propeller Cookbook

PropDOS

Post Edited (Oldbitcollector) : 12/9/2007 7:47:33 PM GMT
    572 x 432 - 46K
    572 x 432 - 38K
    572 x 432 - 47K
    572 x 432 - 45K
    572 x 432 - 30K
  • TheWizard65TheWizard65 Posts: 91
    edited 2007-12-10 00:20
    Hey I wouldn't mind to have a Mac Classic. I am quite fond of the old Mac's, Use to run a BBS on a Mac Plus. OBC has me working on Propadore #2, I hope, but I don't think it will be as good as the OBC original. jumpin.gifhop.gifyeah.gif Agian Way too go OBC. Although I may change my mind and do my version of an LCProp(Mac LCII,Pizzabox) What are the possibilities of the prop being connected to and old laptop Screen. Say something like an old 233mhz or lower system.

Post Edited (TheWizard65) : 12/10/2007 12:37:12 AM GMT
  • Harrison.Harrison. Posts: 484
    edited 2007-12-10 00:48
    The laptop screen idea was actually discussed earlier today (it's 4 threads down..) http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=693925

Basically, you will need to find a really old screen (one of 800x600 or lower resolution). Those screens generally use a 3 or 9 bit digital RGB signal that the Propeller can drive (you will need to modify the VGA.spin driver to get it to work). There have been various discussions on driving such displays, use search.parallax.com/ to find them.
  • crgwbrcrgwbr Posts: 614
    edited 2007-12-10 01:59
    very nice; I've been thinking of doing a similar project myself.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "... one of the main causes of the fall of the Roman Empire was that, lacking zero, they had no way to indicate successful termination of their C programs." -

"If Python is executable pseudocode, then perl is executable line noise."

"The best accelerator available for a Mac is one that causes it to go at 9.81 m/s2."

"My software never has bugs. It just develops random features."

"Windows isn't a virus, viruses do something."

"Programmers are tools for converting caffeine into code."

"Enter any 11-digit prime number to continue."
  • jburke71jburke71 Posts: 10
    edited 2008-04-25 16:40
    Awwww, and here I thought I had an original idea. I've got a gutted Vic-20 that I was going to turn into a Prop-20 =). I think I'll probably keep working on it, but I'm kinda sad now.

Anyway, do you have any more information on how you interfaced the keyboard? I know there's a couple of differences between the Vic and C64, but much of it should be the same. I've been considering using my Mach64 kit (thanks Andre for the extra distraction, BTW) to build the keyboard decoder in hardware, but I'm curious how you did it.

Jason

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    There's nothing to see down here. Move along...
  • vampyrevampyre Posts: 146
    edited 2008-04-25 16:56
    awesome stuff. really puts in perspective how far we've come in just a few years. So much room left in that case.
    edited 2008-04-25 19:30
    I used a simple PICAXE interface. I've got both the code and the design on my shop computer. I'll dig it our over the weekend. The PICAXE was used to keep from using all of my I/O on the Propeller. I used a serial connection to a modified FULL_Duplex_Serial.spin to get keystrokes to the prop at 9600 baud. Basically, a C64 Dumb terminal was created. [noparse]:)[/noparse]

Don't let my project stop you.. Do the Prop-20! [noparse]:)[/noparse]

OBC

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    New to the Propeller?

Getting started with the Protoboard? - Propeller Cookbook 1.4
    Updates to the Cookbook are now posted to: Propeller.warrantyvoid.us
    Got an SD card? - PropDOS
    A Living Propeller FAQ - The Propeller Wiki
    (Got the Knowledge? Got a Moment? Add something today!)

• hippyhippy Posts: 1,981
    edited 2008-04-26 13:50
    The nice thing about the PICAXE being based on PICmicro is that the smaller devices work at 3V3 making interfacing to the Propeller simple. These are fairly cheap single chips usually using on-chip oscillators and programmed in a language similar to PBASIC for the BS1, so very useful as I/O interfaces linked to the Propeller via serial when high-speed isn't required. I've used them for 10-bit analogue input capture for the Propeller and very useful for keypad encoding. Other micros can do the job but these have a very simple two-resistor programming interface and free development IDE which keeps cost to a minimum.
  • sevssevs Posts: 50
    edited 2008-04-27 09:04
    Plus the PICAXE is very easy to program for things like that.

That is some nice work OBC. I'm still amazed at what the Prop can do... Especially in the hands of someone creative. smile.gif
  • Chris MerckChris Merck Posts: 55
    edited 2008-04-29 16:00
    Well done OBC!
    I like the retro look and feel. I can't wait for one of my ancient laptops to kick the bucket so I can turn it into a LapProp!
  • Ken PetersonKen Peterson Posts: 806
    edited 2008-04-29 16:18
    OBC: Have you tried interfacing your Propodore to a 1541 disk drive? The serial interface is well-documented.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • Agent420Agent420 Posts: 439
    edited 2008-05-01 13:25
    As another who can point blame on Commodore for getting hooked on programming and hacking, I applaud your project... Well done [noparse]:)[/noparse]

Though the Pet design holds a special place in my heart for that 'retro' look [noparse];)[/noparse]· Reminds me of the terminals in Colossus.
    ·
    edited 2008-05-01 18:06
    The movie "Colossus" is one of the reasons I only trust computers small enough to be thrown
    out of a 5th story window. [noparse]:)[/noparse] The Protoboard fits in the palm of my hand and engenders a lot of trust. [noparse];)[/noparse]

OBC

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    New to the Propeller?

Getting started with the Protoboard? - Propeller Cookbook 1.4
    Updates to the Cookbook are now posted to: Propeller.warrantyvoid.us
    Got an SD card? - PropDOS
    A Living Propeller FAQ - The Propeller Wiki
    (Got the Knowledge? Got a Moment? Add something today!)

• RobotWorkshopRobotWorkshop Posts: 2,307
    edited 2008-05-01 18:14
    Actually, you just need to keep reminding it just who holds the soldering iron! If it misbehaves you can always "fix it".....