Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Prop II ??? — Parallax Forums

Prop II ???

Brian LBrian L Posts: 60
edited 2007-12-10 17:30 in Propeller 1
I read with great interest the entire thread entitled "Protecting IP in the Prop?" and have noticed scattered references to "Prop II" in that, and other threads. I'm very new here, so forgive me if I'm asking for what might already be common knowledge to most of you, but has there been any official word from Parallax about what new features this "Prop II" will include, (if it even exists) and will some sort of strong code protection be a part of it? For a while there in the other thread Chip seemed very interested in the subject of code protection.

I'm another one with concerns about code that would have to remain as secret as possible. And yes, I'm aware that no protection scheme is absolutely secure when given the entire resources of the Chinese government to use in the code cracking effort, so lets not completely re-hash the other thread about the technical details of that. I, like many others, simply need to show the lawyers that all reasonable precautions have been taken to keep hackers out.

Brian

Comments

• Fred HawkinsFred Hawkins Posts: 997
    edited 2007-12-08 23:48
    Brian, most of the common knowledge of the Prop II comes from this thread: http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=617536

It is probably the longest thread here, so it also documents the community here.

As for IP protection I think the thread you have already cited has the most recent sensibility of Parallax thinking -- ie fusable links.
  • HarleyHarley Posts: 997
    edited 2007-12-08 23:52
    Brian Whisler,

The thread on PropII is quite lengthy. It is titled "What would you want more of, cogs or RAM?". Dated11/24/2006 for the first. Now at 27 pages ( x 25/pg = 675) for count of 672.

I've provided a table to some of the details I could glean as of 8 Jul.2007. It is about pg 21.

Brew up a pot of coffee and have a long reading session to catch up.

Yeah, we're all looking forward to this beast of a chip of Chip's.yeah.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Harley Shanko
  • kittmasterkittmaster Posts: 77
    edited 2007-12-09 00:47
    no way I'm gonna read all of that........anyone have cliffnotes on what was decided? More ram or cogs? Seems like more ram was popular. What about more than 32KB code space?

Sounds interesting though
  • hippyhippy Posts: 1,981
    edited 2007-12-09 01:43
    Take a look at the table as suggested, that's a pretty good summing up.

http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=617536

It may be a long thread with a degree of meandering and tangential discussion but well worth reading. You don't have to do it all in one sitting.

The outcome was both; more Ram (256KB), more Cogs (16). Plus faster execution, faster Hub access, block reads from Hub, 64 I/O lines.

Exactly what the Propeller 2 will have will only be known when Parallax announce it. The things it's not going to have or unlikely to have are - more than 512 longs per Cog, on-chip Flash memory.
  • kittmasterkittmaster Posts: 77
    edited 2007-12-09 03:46
    thanks hippy,

my understanding is it will take 9-12 months for production release. Good to know.
  • CardboardGuruCardboardGuru Posts: 443
    edited 2007-12-10 15:10
    Propeller Wiki - CG's Page For Today: Propeller II

As the Prop II is going to be an FAQ, I've transferred Harley's table of rumoured features onto the Propeller Wiki. Please feel free to correct any mistakes, or add any extra info as it becomes available. Parallax employees will be made especially welcome! wink.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Help to build the Propeller wiki - propeller.wikispaces.com
    Play Defender - Propeller version of the classic game
    Prop Room Robotics - my web store for Roomba spare parts in the UK
    edited 2007-12-10 15:53
    CardboardGuru,

Glad to see the effort of my table is useful to others. It was the only way I could keep track of what Prop II might provide for us.

Hope soon Parallax can come up with some definite info on Prop II. I won't mind the effort to update my table. yeah.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Harley Shanko
  • RaymanRayman Posts: 14,162
    edited 2007-12-10 16:03
    Thanks for the table, it's very interesting...
    My question is: What does this all mean in terms of video capability for the Prop 2? I'd really like to be able to display bitmaps more easily...
    edited 2007-12-10 16:20
    Rayman,

I have a feeling Chip will let us know about Prop II video capabilities sometime before we're aware of when the Prop II is available for purchase. Bet he'll be playing with early silicon soon, if not already.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Harley Shanko
  • simonlsimonl Posts: 866
    edited 2007-12-10 16:25
    As I understand it; we'll be able to do the same (with video) as we do now, only using less COGs. Or we'll be able to do higher resolution with the same # COGs. (But NONE of us will really know until Parallax tell us, and I'm sure they will tell us when they've got things nailed-down).

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Cheers,

Simon
    www.norfolkhelicopterclub.co.uk
    You'll always have as many take-offs as landings, the trick is to be sure you can take-off again ;-)
    BTW: I type as I'm thinking, so please don't take any offense at my writing style smile.gif
  • BaggersBaggers Posts: 3,019
    edited 2007-12-10 16:45
    Just had another though on Prop II, with the IDE being in on-chip-ROM but not available til rev 2, is rev 1, going to be mostly blank? or will there be a first pass ide?
    also, will it have real SD or 4pin SD, ie, will it full speed? as I'm sure you'd want to be able to load and save your code, and also, would you therefore have fixed initial IO's for TV, keyboard, SD etc?
    I could have put these questions in a new thread, but I guess prop II doesn't need too many threads being created just yet, I'm sure we'll make many more when it arrives. [noparse];)[/noparse]
  • SapiehaSapieha Posts: 2,964
    edited 2007-12-10 17:30
    Hi All.

Table say
    Packaging = QFP preferred. QFN? LQFP? BGA?

One packaging in table to prefer for for home made PCB = PLCC

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Nothing is impossible, there are only different degrees of difficulty.

Sapieha