Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Difference between Stamp and Prop — Parallax Forums

Difference between Stamp and Prop

mosquito56mosquito56 Posts: 387
edited 2007-12-08 05:56 in Propeller 1
· What is the difference between the stamp and the prop. Aside from the multiprocessing angle?
Does the stamp use an eprom also?
Does the stamp have more memory?
Will parallax be discontinuing the stamp support in a few years?
I have noticed that alot of the robots use the stamp, I assume this is because the prop is newer technology?
Stamp uses a version of basic, but prop has it's on language. They wouldn't have written a worse language so I have to assume Spin is superior to basic?
Since I am looking for many similiar things found in the robot, I just thought I would get a quick answers from the pros rather than reading the whole stamp forum.
Don

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
Mosquito: An animal which buzzes in your ear and never stops.

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2007-12-08 03:30
    1+2) It's like apples and oranges. The Propeller is bigger, faster, has more processors, has lots of other features, works with 32-bit arithmetic, but can handle bytes and 16-bit words as well, etc. On the other hand, the Stamp is programmed in a Basic dialect while the Propeller is programmed in Spin and its assembly language with C on the way.

3) I doubt it. The Stamp is easier to use.

4) Yes. The Propeller is pretty new.

5) Spin is well matched to the hardware. Basic would not have been a good choice for an initial language. There is a compatibility library that is written in Spin that provides quite a bit of the functionality of many of the PBasic I/O and timing statements. There is also a slow and simple Basic interpreter for the Propeller that's written in Spin. There's a version of it available in the Propeller Object Exchange that's specifically written for a Propeller Protoboard based BOEBOT with a PING and its bracket, an HM55B Compass, an xBee wireless control (and Basic programming) link, and an SD card socket for storing programs and data.
  • Martin HebelMartin Hebel Posts: 1,239
    edited 2007-12-08 03:38
    The BASIC Stamp is another manufacturer's microcontroller programmed to use the BASIC language by Parallax. The Stamp is really a module with the controller, EEPROM, voltage regulator, etc. The BASIC Stamp was amazing for its time in that it could be programmed easily and while in circuit! Normally controllers at the time had to be romoved, erased, reprogrammed, placed back in the circuit and tested.

The BASIC Stamp, as far as controllers goes, is slow and can only perform one task at a time. With the robot example, you could not read a sensor while controlling a motor at the same time (though it may have been fast enough depending on the routines to seem like it). Other controllers is is possible through complex interrupt routines and on-chip peripherals.

The Propeller really made life much easier - it's as easy if not easier to program than the BASIC Stamp, and using multiple cores it can simultaneously perform the multiple tasks without resorting to complex interrupts or peripheral hardware. And it's only $12 instead of $49.

-Martin

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    SelmaWare Solutions - StampPlot GUI for controllers, XBee and Propeller Application Boards

Southern Illinois University Carbondale, Electronic Systems Technologies
  • mosquito56mosquito56 Posts: 387
    edited 2007-12-08 03:48
    Thanx for the input guys. While I know basic, I realize it's shortcommings. I'm glad to see getting the stamp was a good idear.

BTW: I wasn't aware that the stamp was a packaged system and parallax didn't make it. Is the prop produced by parallax?

Don

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • QuattroRS4QuattroRS4 Posts: 916
    edited 2007-12-08 04:16
    1) The Stamp is a Parallax product - its just that in incorporates a third party Microcontroller.

2)The Propeller is ALL Parallax ... have a look at this thread
    http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=630275

and read the pdf - Why the propeller works - that should pretty much clear that up !!
    http://www.parallax.com/Portals/0/Downloads/docs/article/WhythePropellerWorks.pdf

Rgds,
    John Twomey

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    'Necessity is the mother of invention'
  • Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,387
    edited 2007-12-08 04:31
    mosquito56,

The BASIC Stamp is manufactured entirely at Parallax in Rocklin, CA, using components from diffa erent manufacturers. Some Stamps use PIC chips (Microchip) and others use the Parallax SX (we package, test, and·qualify these on our·own).·Aside·from the manufacturing of·a Stamp module,·we developed the interpreter inside of the PIC/SX. There's a load of·effort wound up with the·manufacturing, educational programs, boards, robots, etc. around this little module.·The·BASIC Stamp is high volume from our perspective becuase it has a large number of users and wide acceptance.·Most of the·customers buy·only 1-10 at a time unless they "build their own" from the individual components.

The Propeller is certainly·a huge performance leap and unique design compared to the BASIC Stamp, at a fraction of the cost. It·will develop a following of higher volume users as customers use it in their product designs.

The BASIC Stamp·will likely never be discontinued. It's developed a·strong market following.·The original BS1-IC was introduced·15 years ago and I think it only recently peaked. The BS2-IC (1995)·seems to still be growing. This is largely because we've spent a lot of time making it a useful product with great tools, sensors, books, etc. The Propeller will follow suit. We're not overly sales-oriented with the Propeller at this stage. Most of the effort is geared towards . . . [noparse][[/noparse]fell asleep writing this so I had to edit and add]. . . developing support, examples, etc.

Ken Gracey
    Parallax, Inc.

Post Edited (Ken Gracey (Parallax)) : 12/8/2007 5:35:16 AM GMT
  • RaymanRayman Posts: 14,162
    edited 2007-12-08 04:41
    For me, the difference is about 1000x in time... I used the Basic Stamp (fastest one I could find) for a PID controller and wound up with a 2 ms loop time... I think with the Prop I could do the same thing in 2 us. It's just a totally different world...
  • mosquito56mosquito56 Posts: 387
    edited 2007-12-08 04:58
    Are the sensors compatable between the stamp and the prop? I wanted to buy some extra stuff but the descrip. only mentioned the stamp. How do I know if it is compatable with the prop?
    Don

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2007-12-08 05:56
    The Propeller is a 3.3V device while the Stamp and many (not all) of the sensors are 5V devices. In most cases it's easy to interface them. Generally you only need a 1K (roughly) resistor to limit the input current (since the 5V input will cause current to flow through the I/O pin's protective diode). There are some special purpose voltage conversion ICs that you can use for certain cases. Some sensors are already 3.3V.