Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
The Propeller Hydra game devlopment system — Parallax Forums

The Propeller Hydra game devlopment system

mikedivmikediv Posts: 825
edited 2007-12-11 01:59 in Propeller 1
Hi Guys brand new to this stuff I bought the system above hoping to learn how to program the propeller chip and do some hardware interfacing. I have been reading this forum and now I am concerned I bought the wrong thing
are you guys using this system for all your experiments and desgins? I alos bought the Boe Bot and was hoping on doing some hardware interface stuff is the hydra system capable of doing what I want ??? Thanks also where can I get info on and and actual copy of Spin??
Thanks again
·

Comments

• Spork FrogSpork Frog Posts: 212
    edited 2007-12-07 20:54
    Most people on this board use the Demo or Proto boards I believe, but they're all equivalent in what they can do. The biggest difference between the Demo board and the Hydra is the game ports. Both systems have spare I/O lines available for hardware interfacing if you need them. In the end it's just the market they're aimed at is the difference.

You can get a copy of the Propeller Tool, Parallax's development environment for the Propeller which includes the Spin compiler on Parallax's website.

Hope that explains some things for you.
  • deSilvadeSilva Posts: 2,967
    edited 2007-12-07 23:30
    There is no need to hang on a board. DeSilva owns a Hydra, but for reference only (if "funny" things happen..)
    Otherwise I use breadboards and small soldered assamblies.
    This is along the line Oldbitcollector is thinking.

The Demoboard is perfectly equipped for the software guys, as nearly everything is on it for "checking things out".
    The Protoboard is just two SMD chips soldered to a breadboard at a very acceptable cost/price ratio, and holes at the right places to add some plugs...

As the Hydra is similarly priced as the DemoBoard, there is in fact the question what to choose...

Alas there are some most annoyinbg incompatibilities between them.

Andr
  • RaymanRayman Posts: 14,162
    edited 2007-12-07 23:35
  • Oldbitcollector (Jeff)Oldbitcollector (Jeff) Posts: 8,091
    edited 2007-12-08 00:12
    Mike:

Welcome to the Propeller! You'll have a blast with it. You'll find my own two-cents worth
    in the "Propeller Cookbook" link below. Either way you choose, the Propeller is a great
    platform!

OBC

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Just getting started with Propeller?

Propeller Cookbook

PropDOS
  • mikedivmikediv Posts: 825
    edited 2007-12-10 16:57
    Thank you guys I look forward to talking with all of you. I am very eager to learn assembly and get back to doing hardware control stuff. I have been using microsoft stuff for to long it turned my brain to mush.
  • rjo_rjo_ Posts: 1,825
    edited 2007-12-10 18:41
    Mike,

You can't really make a mistake. No matter where you start, you will get where you are going.

I just purchased a Hydra... and I'm kicking myself for not doing it sooner. Most of you want to you want to know is right at your finger tips and the book is worth its weight in gold.

But for hardware work, get yourself a couple of proto-boards, some female headers and some bread boards.... or treat yourself to some of the goodies over at ucontroller.com.

Put a little money aside though, there is a new board coming from Parallax!

Rich
  • RsadeikaRsadeika Posts: 3,837
    edited 2007-12-10 19:41
    @rjo_, I come to this forum quite regularly, and I did not hear of a new board. You have some inside information, give us a hint, what is this new board.

Ray
    edited 2007-12-11 01:58
    No inside info... It's here, you just have to read the fine print.

I honestly don't know where I saw it or which of the giants at Parallax said it, but a question regarding a professional development board was asked and the answer came back, "yes." No schedule on it. From what I recall it will take a couple of months... but I don't remember if that was a best case or a worst case projection.

Rich
    edited 2007-12-11 01:59
    I even dream about the Propeller... so it might have been one of those lucid dreams that was just so real I remembered it that way[noparse]:)[/noparse]

Just kidding... it's here somewhere.

Rich

ILMP