Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
PropStick USB won't connect — Parallax Forums

PropStick USB won't connect

Bob AndersonBob Anderson Posts: 122
edited 2007-12-07 06:52 in Propeller 1
I'm using v1.05.8 and a PropStick USB

When I press F7 in the Propellor Tool (Find Hardware) it hangs at COM4

The FTDI drivers installed when I loaded Prop Tool.· It is using COM2· (I forced it to use COM2 - it came up initially as COM5)

Things I have tried

I have uninstalled all Prop Tools (had a 0.98 version too).

I used Device Manager to uninstall FTDI driver.

Reinstalled Prop Tool.· It loaded FTDI driver.

When I plug PropStick into USB, it is found and connects as COM2

When I sart Prop Tool and press F7, I get some flashing of LEDs on the PropStick and Prop Tool looks from COM1 to COM4 and then hangs.

What else can I try?

Comments

• Bob AndersonBob Anderson Posts: 122
    edited 2007-12-07 04:17
    More information that I have gathered....

Prop Tool hangs at COM4.

COM4 on my machine is a BlueTooth serial port.

It is because of this that I forced FTDI driver to use COM2. That seems to work because when I plug in the PropStick USB, the new hardware is discovered and it comes up as COM2.

I had hoped that Prop Tool would find the PropStick on COM2 before it got to COM4. Didn't work.

Next thing I'll try: loading system on a laptop that does not have BlueTooth
    edited 2007-12-07 04:34
    Update:

I installed Prop Tool on another computer.

This time the com port chosen by the FTDI driver was COM8 and there were no other serial ports in use.

This time Prop Tool did not hang.· Instead it reported that no Propellor Chip was found: scanned COM8

I changed the assigned port to COM1 using Device Manager.

Now Prop Tool reports: No Propellor Chip found.· Scanned COM1

It seems to be finding something!· I wonder if this is just a baud rate problem.· 9600 baud was assigned automatically.· But what is Prop Tool expecting?· I can't seem to find a reference anywhere.
  • Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2007-12-07 05:10
    With your first computer it's the bluetooth, you can either disable it or use PropTerminal to manually select the COM port.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker
    Propeller Applications Engineer

Parallax, Inc.
    edited 2007-12-07 05:59
    Paul:

Thanks for the response.

I disabled the bluetooth serial port (COM4) on my main computer. Now PropTool does not hang. Instead it says: No Propeller Chip found. Scanned COM2. Couldn't open COM4

Essentially, both computers act the same now with both reporting no Propeller chip found but at the proper port.

Does the propeller code auto-baud? What should the baud rate be? I found no instructions as to baud rate so I assumed either an auto-baud routine is in use of there is some other reason why I don't have to set up the port with a specific baud rate (like PropTool reads the settings and adapts to them). Can you help with this as well?
  • Harrison.Harrison. Posts: 484
    edited 2007-12-07 06:17
    Are you supplying external power to the Propstick USB? It sounds like the Propeller is not receiving the power it needs to run. The onboard usb -> serial programming interface is USB port powered, hence the blinking LEDs, yet no Propeller response.

Don't worry about baud rate requirements. The actual programming protocol doesn't rely on a specific baud rate and the Propeller Tool automatically handles configuration of the serial port.
    edited 2007-12-07 06:52
    Duh. I thought it was powered from the USB port. Guess I better find a schematic and build a breadboard.