Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
What should I buy? — Parallax Forums

What should I buy?

mosquito56mosquito56 Posts: 387
edited 2007-12-09 07:59 in Propeller 1
· I want to get the propellor chip but I have no idea what to buy. I called tech support and he said get the presoldered board and just start right it. I really don't want to bother the techs anymore as my mind doesn't work fast enough to have an intelligent conversation with them.

· My goal is to build an airplane engine monitor. 12 temps sensors, oiltemp, rpm and some simple switch and latch logics. If I buy the propellor starter kit(pre soldered) I am afraid to run out of i/o ports. Also, I would like to connect up everything just to know how it works. Any thoughts?

· Since I can't save my cart on parallex I printed out the list. Here it is.
···· 1. Propellor Ed. Kit
···· 2. Propellor Acces. Kit
···· 3. light to freq converter
···· 4. Hall effect sensor
···· 5. Magnet for above

Thoughts, suggestions?
···
Should I also get the kit with propellor assecories kit now or what till later? I don't see the plug for the video or the mouse in the kit. If I purchase the above, will the mouse, vga connector be included?
· Please don't mention price. I signed up and got an A in an electronics class at the local community college. I have learned more electronics from the internet and now digital electronics here then I ever learned in the classes I took. The class cost me $500 and was pretty lame.
······ ·BTW, I was an electronic tech in the Air Force for 8 yrs. It was the same as being a computer tech is now. Figure·out which board is bad and replace the board.
Enuf rambling, Thanks for any help in advance

Don
P.S.
· I am having major problems with the parrelax web site. When I try to put my State is turns the country to Uganda. Since I don't live in Uganda this is somewhat of a problem. I also cannot save my carts on ANY of the sites I buy from. I am assuming this is because of some problem with my browser. Any input would be nice and since I wanted to make sure as many people as possible saw this I am adding it to the above msg.
·

Comments

• Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2007-12-07 00:01
    Given your stated desires I would recommend getting the ProtoBoard, ProtoBoard Accessory Kit, PropPlug and Propeller Accessory Kit (plus your desired sensors). The ProtoBoard Accessory kit contains a connector which provides VGA and 2 PS/2 connections, the PropPlug is a USB to Serial dongle for ease of programming the ProtoBoard (and can be used to program any number of ProtoBoards), and the Propeller Accessory kit provides the keyboard and mouse to connect to the ProtoBoard. Only the first two items are required, the PropPlug can be replaced by a homebrew RS232 circuit (schematic availible on Propeller website) and any PS/2 mouse and keyboard will work with the Propeller.

One note, the ProtoBoard does not have a RCA plug for television, while it's a trivial task to add the needed hardware (well attaching an RCA plug itself might present a mechanical problem of afixing it to the board), if you don't plan on using TV, you dont need the 2.5" LCD TV in the Propeller Acessory Kit, and can purchase the mouse and keyboard seperately.

I'm not experiencing the issue with the Cart and your inability to choose a country other than Uganda, so it very well be your browser.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker
    Propeller Applications Engineer

Parallax, Inc.

Post Edited (Paul Baker (Parallax)) : 12/7/2007 12:10:41 AM GMT
  • mosquito56mosquito56 Posts: 387
    edited 2007-12-07 00:06
    I like the look of the protoboard but it looks like soldering is required. As I am nowhere near the point of soldering I am wondering how this is better then the educational kit?
    Don

Darn, I just saw your new note. The LCD is a T.V.? I was under the impression it was a vga computer screen. That will really complicate things.
    Don

Post Edited (mosquito56) : 12/7/2007 12:34:17 AM GMT
    edited 2007-12-07 00:28
    I think you have a very good sugestion. What if I get both and just run wires to the protoboard to use it as an aux device. Solder wires to all the assecories and just run them into the the education board? Seems the cost is so good, just easier to use the proto as a aux.
    Don
    edited 2007-12-07 00:32
    The reason why I recommended the Protoboard is that it has the PS/2 and VGA connectors you are looking for, these are not availible for the PE Kit (we are developing a PS/2 and RCA breakout for use with the PE Kit, but are not to market yet (no word yet whether there will be a VGA connector breakout)). I recommend getting your original list and throw in a Protoboard and Protoboard Accessory Kit (Acessory Kit requires some soldering, but this would be a good place to start, start with the resistors before trying the connector). The PE kit comes with a PropPlug which can be used on the Protoboard. This way you can play with the Propeller without having to worry about soldering, but with the Protoboard you can start developing with the VGA and PS/2 when you are ready (or until the breakout boards are availible)

One way to hack a VGA cable into a breakboard project is to use pluggable wires: http://www.parallax.com/Store/Microcontrollers/BASICStampModules/tabid/134/txtSearch/female/List/1/ProductID/403/Default.aspx?SortField=ProductName%2cProductName

Slip the female end over a pin on the VGA cable and plug the male end into the bradboard.

(Sorry about the deleted posts, was having issues with making sure all info was included)

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker

Parallax, Inc.
    edited 2007-12-07 00:33
    Yeah that would work (but you'll still need to do a bit of soldering)

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker

Parallax, Inc.
  • RaymanRayman Posts: 14,162
    edited 2007-12-07 00:38
    edited 2007-12-07 00:49
    I only have Skype on my work machine.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker

Parallax, Inc.
    edited 2007-12-07 01:00
    I have already done everything you mention on your site. I have been doing the spins on the Gear but it's still very basic.
    I went through the assembly by Desilva but it only covers a limited amount of knowledge. I was planning to look for more assembly later.
    I am only to the sucess portion (page 120). Looks like I need about another week to finish the book off. I am very familiar with fortran, pascal, cobol, basic and visual basic. I am also a retired math and computer teacher. I can read a schematic but designing is something completely different. The biggest worry I have right now is AD technology.

Amazing I hit help and can't find how to use bookmarks.
    BTW: Is the LCD in the kit a T.V. or a Computer Monitor?
    Don

P.S. Should I buy 2 acces. kits for the extra wires and resistors etc?
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2007-12-07 01:22
    The LCD is a monitor. It has video and audio inputs.· It's like a TV without the tuner.
    ·
  • Oldbitcollector (Jeff)Oldbitcollector (Jeff) Posts: 8,091
    edited 2007-12-07 03:16
    @mosquito56:

If you are going the Protoboard route, have a look at the "Propeller Cookbook" link at the bottom of
    this message. I started with the Protoboard and kept record of my progress in the form of notes that
    others could follow. You'll find a bunch of ideas in it.

Soldering the VGA/Keyboard/Mouse Accessory kit would be a good "getting started" practice into soldering.

Welcome to Propeller!

OBC

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Just getting started with Propeller?

Propeller Cookbook

PropDOS
    edited 2007-12-07 05:25
    Thanx, already have cookbook downloaded. Looks like it has some great recipies except I am still trying to figure out how to boil water. That would be after I figure out what a stove is.
    Don
  • QuattroRS4QuattroRS4 Posts: 916
    edited 2007-12-08 03:24
    There is of course a host of third party Propeller options also.. I have compiled a list with details and a page dedicated to each
    these can be viewed here ...

www.igniteautomation.com/

there is a world of choice ..

Regards,
    John Twomey

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    'Necessity is the mother of invention'
  • deSilvadeSilva Posts: 2,967
    edited 2007-12-09 05:00
    mosquito56 said...
    I went through the assembly by Desilva but it only covers a limited amount of knowledge.
    I was planning to look for more assembly later.
    I am only to the sucess portion (page 120).
    This is a little bit confusing: I have 40 highly informative pages only....
    And can you elaborate a little bit more about "limited amount"?
    I plan some - long awaited! - updates during Christmas, and will certainly consider your input.
    Thanks!
  • TheWizard65TheWizard65 Posts: 91
    edited 2007-12-09 05:10
    Mosquito56:

I too am new at the Propeller. I started with a bare Propeller Proto Board, and with the help of the people in this forum I am up to a full blown Micro Computer.
    The People Here and my self wil be glad to help you when you hit a snag. The People in here are good People. Here is my e-mail address if you need help.
    thewizard65@gmail.com
  • rjo_rjo_ Posts: 1,825
    edited 2007-12-09 05:28
    Mosquito56,

If it is boiling water, then you absolutely, positively must get Andre LaMothe's book available through the Parallax Store. It should be called "THE Propeller Bible."

The big problem is that you will constantly run into some little fact that you should know but don't and then you go to the Manual and then to the forum and if it isn't clear to you then... you just shelve it. LaMothe's book discusses all of the little things you should know... and it is well indexed and easy to read.

I like the idea of a Proto board... but to get up an running as fast as possible, by all means get the Education kit and go through the labs.

Rich
    edited 2007-12-09 07:59
    Thanx for the input guys. I have already ordered both the ed board and assories and the protoboard and assories. I also got the t.v. assories kit for fun. My current hope is to have this system installed in my new airplane before it gets inspected by the FAA. I hope to have the plane flying before August next year. I look forward to your help.

Don

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Mosquito: An animal which buzzes in your ear and never stops. He may byte you, he may nibble you, but you will know you were bit.