Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Not sure if this is a proper question but I'll ask anyway — Parallax Forums

Not sure if this is a proper question but I'll ask anyway

kittmasterkittmaster Posts: 77
edited 2007-12-07 03:21 in Propeller 1
Is there such a thing as used propeller chips? Any used market that I could pick up from a member here? Since I don't have skill sets with this platform, I figured picking up used chip might be a smart way to go?

How about samples? Any way just to get one IC?

Just figured I'd ask.

Thanks
Chris

Comments

• Spork FrogSpork Frog Posts: 212
    edited 2007-12-06 23:07
    Not many people tend to part with their Propellers easily around here, it seems. But occasoinally they do- keep a look on eBay for sure, as well as these forums I'd say.

Parallax doesn't do samples I believe due to the relatively high cost per chip ($5 per in high volume, $13 for 1.)
  • kittmasterkittmaster Posts: 77
    edited 2007-12-06 23:08
    I kind of figured, a great price no doubt, just figured I'd ask...[noparse]:)[/noparse]

Thanks
  • Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2007-12-06 23:11
    I can arrange to get you a few samples, PM me with your name, address and which package(s) you're interested in.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker
    Propeller Applications Engineer

Parallax, Inc.
  • kittmasterkittmaster Posts: 77
    edited 2007-12-06 23:16
    Hi Paul

PM sent.

Thank you

Chris
    edited 2007-12-06 23:28
    Spork Frog said...

Parallax doesn't do samples I believe due to the relatively high cost per chip ($5 per in high volume, $13 for 1.)
    Samples are handled on a case by case basis and at our discretion, there is no formalized structure to provide them but if we feel there is merit (potential for use in a product or person has demonstrated thier value to the Propeller community) we will honor the request.·Also whether the person lives in the United States has a bearing since international·shipping costs are so high.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker

Parallax, Inc.

Post Edited (Paul Baker (Parallax)) : 12/6/2007 11:33:39 PM GMT
  • hippyhippy Posts: 1,981
    edited 2007-12-06 23:59
    Paul Baker (Parallax) said...
    Samples are handled on a case by case basis and at our discretion, there is no formalized structure to provide them but if we feel there is merit (potential for use in a product or person has demonstrated thier value to the Propeller community) we will honor the request. Also whether the person lives in the United States has a bearing since international shipping costs are so high.

Ironically it is outside the US where samples would perhaps be more greatly appreciated and more useful. Shipping costs should not be a problem for Parallax because they could organise shipment from an overseas distributor and simply electronically refund the cost of doing that to them.

My personal feeling is that if samples are to be made available, Parallax should provide a means to apply for them and the matter judged on provided rationale and merit and dealt with as a private matter, not in a public forum.

I won't say anything on the merits ( or otherwise ) in this particular case and I am sure the offer was made with genuine goodwill.
  • mosquito56mosquito56 Posts: 387
    edited 2007-12-07 00:16
    I am just curious on how $13 for a chip would merit a request for samples. Should I pm also? Talk about opening the proverbial can. Just a thought.
    Don
  • darcodarco Posts: 86
    edited 2007-12-07 00:32
    Samples are a marketing expense, and are always handled at the discretion of the manufacturer, in this case parallax. It's a pretty well-established industry-wide system. The cost of providing samples are offset by the potential for a larger volume order (or increased orders from others).

For example, I might have been able to get away with asking for a sample prop for my prototype ybox2. (In fact, the ethernet jack was a sample from a different company). They might grant this because if there becomes significant interest in people wanting to build my improved yboxes, then that means increased prop orders. Because I blog about this stuff, it is also increased visibility of the prop in general. Not bad for a $15 marketing expense. However, if someone buys a ybox2 PCB down the road, they will need to buy a prop themselves.

But I'm quite happy with buying them for now. I have no problems paying for such a well-designed product.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

darco
    www.deepdarc.com/
    edited 2007-12-07 00:43
    hippy said...
    Samples are handled on a case by case basis and at our discretion, there is no formalized structure to provide them but if we feel there is merit (potential for use in a product or person has demonstrated thier value to the Propeller community) we will honor the request. Also whether the person lives in the United States has a bearing since international shipping costs are so high.

Ironically it is outside the US where samples would perhaps be more greatly appreciated and more useful. Shipping costs should not be a problem for Parallax because they could organise shipment from an overseas distributor and simply electronically refund the cost of doing that to them.

My personal feeling is that if samples are to be made available, Parallax should provide a means to apply for them and the matter judged on provided rationale and merit and dealt with as a private matter, not in a public forum.

I won't say anything on the merits ( or otherwise ) in this particular case and I am sure the offer was made with genuine goodwill.
    If we had an automated system we would need to implement anti-fraud measures to ensure the system wasn't abused.· I will bring up the idea, but I doubt anything will come of it due to the intial cost of getting the system developed and running.

Most requests do happen privately, this is just an exception. My determination in this case was based on private conversations Chris and I have had, he just didn't know it was possible to make a request so he didn't ask, and yes goodwill plays a factor in every decision.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker

Parallax, Inc.
  • hippyhippy Posts: 1,981
    edited 2007-12-07 03:21
    If we had an automated system we would need to implement anti-fraud measures to ensure the system wasn't abused.

Indeed. Other larger semi manufacturers may have the capital to fund freebies for all and can afford the admin to run that but I wouldn't expect everyone to be that generous. I was thinking more of a email submission form, still handled manually.

I do know people who will abuse 'samples', taking but giving very little back in return. I suppose that if that's the deal on offer then fair enough, but I do feel that such generosity ought to be repaid in kind. As you say, it's about merit.