Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
No hyperterminal in Vista :( — Parallax Forums

No hyperterminal in Vista :(

RaymanRayman Posts: 14,162
edited 2007-12-08 00:44 in Propeller 1
I just went to try sending my Prop characters over the PropPlug using Hyperterminal on the Windows side and the "FullDuplexSerial.spin" driver on pins 31,30 on the Prop side...

Guess what:· There's no hyperterminal in Vista!· Help tells me I should use Telnet instead, but I don't thing that's a real option...

Besides, I typed in "telnet" on the command prompt and it's not there!· You have to manually install the telnet client...

Comments

• Harrison.Harrison. Posts: 484
    edited 2007-12-06 20:41
    You could try Hyperterminal private edition (it's free): www.hilgraeve.com/htpe/download.html.
  • RsadeikaRsadeika Posts: 3,837
    edited 2007-12-06 20:43
    And hyperterminal is no longer free. I just went to there site, and they are now selling the PE version. I guess I am going to sit down and pound out some C# code for a simple terminal program.

Ray
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2007-12-06 20:45
    Hmm. It would seem that, with the advent of Vista, Windows is losing credibility as the platform of choice for cross-development — not that I ever liked Hyperterminal. Until a debug screen is implemented in the Propeller IDE, you can always use the one provided with the PBASIC Editor.

-Phil
  • OzStampOzStamp Posts: 377
    edited 2007-12-06 21:30
    Hi Rayman.

Try REALTERM it is awesome...downloadable for free from the web.
    Windows sucks... but unfortunately . do we have a choice ??
    http://realterm.sourceforge.net/ get it here..

Ron Mel OZ
  • Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2007-12-06 21:34
    PropTerminal: http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=649540

Free and it includes many other features tailored to the Propeller.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker
    Propeller Applications Engineer

Parallax, Inc.
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2007-12-06 21:58
    Paul,

Thanks for posting that. I knew Ariba's terminal program was out there, but my search for it came up blank.

-Phil
  • Oldbitcollector (Jeff)Oldbitcollector (Jeff) Posts: 8,091
    edited 2007-12-07 03:23
    This Terminal was posted in completely projects a while back just for this reason..

OBC

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Just getting started with Propeller?

Propeller Cookbook

PropDOS
  • sylvie369sylvie369 Posts: 1,622
    edited 2007-12-07 03:49
    I went with Realterm as well. Great program.

I never did figure out Hyperterminal - I must be looking right at it and not seeing it, but when I bring up Hyperterminal on my XP laptop, all I get is a window asking me what telephone number I want to dial.

·
  • DroneDrone Posts: 433
    edited 2007-12-07 08:41
    RealTerm is a nice program, it even has an I2C mode! But I believe it may be lacking in some areas not related to Propeller - it lacks a dialer, it seems to lack transfer protocols. Plus some of the IP related stuff with RealTerm uses ActiveX and the scary DCOM.

Another decent free terminal emulator is TerraTerm Web (Email-ware). TerraTerm Web is not the same as the venerable TerraTerm, it is improved. However TerraTerm Web does have one failing, it can't seem to open COM ports greater than COM4. This may present problems on some FTDI driver installations where the virtual COM port winds up higher than COM4. TerraTerm Web may be dowloaded by going to: www.ayera.com/teraterm/.

Regards,

David
  • Peter JakackiPeter Jakacki Posts: 10,193
    edited 2007-12-07 13:36
    Teraterm's init file defaults to maxcomports=4. Just edit the teraterm.ini file and change the maxcomport value. I use the telnet part to connect directly to XPORT ethernet devices as well as the usual serial ports.

*Peter*
  • csfancsfan Posts: 14
    edited 2007-12-07 14:11
    @sylvie369

When HyperTerminal opens, select the down arrow in the 'Connect using' field to select a COM port. After selecting a port, you can change the COM properties for baud, etc.
  • DroneDrone Posts: 433
    edited 2007-12-07 15:06
    Peter, Duh - I should have thought about looking for a .ini change in Terraterm Web. Thanks! I'll give it a try on a machine that due to lots of serial ports a device connected by an FTDI USB/Serial driver ends up on COM6 and seemingly can't be redirected in XP (understandable).

A bit off-topic perhaps (but we are touching on Vista un-compatibility/capability per-se): In WinXP for Telnet and SSH I gravitate to Putty www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/. For SCP/SFTP there's WinSCP winscp.net/eng/index.php, but even though there's overlap with WinSCP, I prefer FileZilla filezilla-project.org/ for straightforward FTP. Lest we not forget a download manager, espeically for most of the world (like me) that don't have bandwidth like you in US and EU; Free Download Manager works quite well. www.freedownloadmanager.org/.

I would like to know if any of you have problems running these venerable (and necessary in many cases) 3rd party Windows apps in Vista. After all, Vista is being shoved down our throats with reportedly Microsoft killing off new buys for WinXP in 2008. Most of my machines can't run Vista productively, but run XP fine. Many legacy and current apps running in XP (some quite expensive) aren't going to work with Vista beyond the XP kill-date. Then there's hardware drivers with Vista (and we're not even talking about 64bit); printers, scanners, etc., all have to be replaced with Vista. I've never felt more pressure to move my desktops in large-part to Linux/Unix and/or xBSD and leave only a few to die a slow death with WinXP; screw Vista. For servers/firewalls/routers etc., I most often dev in Slackware Linux, but deploy in xBSD, no Micro$oft or Ciso on my horizon.

Parallax should take note about what I'm saying here about Vista. Althogh I like WinXP and don't mind paying for it, I'm probably going to move away from XP and not to Vista given what's said herein. You need to think about a cross-platform solution for your development tools.

The loss of Hyperterminal in Vista as mentioned by RayMan at the start of this post is the tip-of-the-iceberg - perhaps.

Regards,

David
  • sylvie369sylvie369 Posts: 1,622
    edited 2007-12-08 00:44
    csfan said...
    @sylvie369

When HyperTerminal opens, select the down arrow in the 'Connect using' field to select a COM port. After selecting a port, you can change the COM properties for baud, etc.
    Thanks - I see it now.
    Man, I thought I'd looked everywhere.

·